2022 Offseason Plan Thread

Chicago White Sox

33 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yup.  We should be looking to extend Cease and/or Kopech if prices are that reasonable and we can buy out a couple free agent years.

If you could get exactly that same deal for Kopech or Cease today, it would buy out 1 year of FA in exchange for $55 million. 

Obviously I'd do that with Cease. Would you do that for Kopech? I'm not so sure I'd do that one.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If you could get exactly that same deal for Kopech or Cease today, it would buy out 1 year of FA in exchange for $55 million. 

Obviously I'd do that with Cease. Would you do that for Kopech? I'm not so sure I'd do that one.

I don't get this exercise. I'm assuming their comment is to the fact that if a pitcher that has had 2 200+inning years and pitched in the low 3s ERAs is is getting this deal (buy out arb + 2), then you'd hope you get a good deal from Cease/Kopech who both have bigger risk cases.

Alcantara is in arb through 2024, so that's 3 seasons. A 5-year extension gets you 2 more. 

But if a more established, durable pitcher is getting 5 for 55 or arb years +2 , what is non-established Kopech gonna get? Cease? They may go for the pot of gold, they may bite at 5 / 45

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

We’d probably have to tweak the deals some, say add an extra option year for Kopech, but it’s directionally something I’d be very interested for both of them.  I think securing those guys for an extra year or two could really help extend the window and now is the time given they won’t be pre-arb again.

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

White initial ZiPS projections.  I think some of these are way too low and it’s clear that ZiPS is not projecting the rebounds / development I’m expecting from Eloy & Vaughn.  That being said, our needs are very clear from the chart below.  We all know the big three (2B, RF, & SP), but we’re definitely going to need a ton of RH relief help (especially if we trade Kimbrel) and a backup catcher.  Regarding the latter, I just don’t think Zavala or Collins are major league backup catchers and we should target a defensive oriented vet towards the end of the offseason.

Probably why looking at projections isn't a big thing for me. It just looks like they take the whole career to the current point in time . Like with Eloy he has had so many injuries and had negative value defensively that in his time with the Sox he hasn't been as valuable as Moncada was in 2021. Steamer has Moncada at 3.9 and Eloy 2.5 so use Steamer instead .

10 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Probably why looking at projections isn't a big thing for me. It just looks like they take the whole career to the current point in time . Like with Eloy he has had so many injuries and had negative value defensively that in his time with the Sox he hasn't been as valuable as Moncada was in 2021. Steamer has Moncada at 3.9 and Eloy 2.5 so use Steamer instead .

Oh 100% agree.  I find most of these projections to be extremely conservative and obviously they lack context around injuries, personal issues, COVID, etc.  Still an interesting data point to consider though.

12 minutes ago, fathom said:

So who’s the player that could pop up on Twitter that the Sox are close to signing that would seem to come out of nowhere the most for you, but wouldn’t shock you?  You know my answer....Castellanos

Kevin Gausman

• Fire 1

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

So who’s the player that could pop up on Twitter that the Sox are close to signing that would seem to come out of nowhere the most for you, but wouldn’t shock you?  You know my answer....Castellanos

I just don’t see it.  It adds another right-handed, poor defensive corner type to the mix and we already have plenty of those.

The guy I could see us silently pursuing is Gausman.  He’s not a Scherzer type #1 obviously, but he’d give us another quality arm at the top of the rotation, is highly durable, and has a connection to Katz.  I’m guessing it wouldn’t be a popular move here, but I’d absolutely love it if paired with a Conforto signing.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I just don’t see it.  It adds another right-handed, poor defensive corner type to the mix and we already have plenty of those.

The guy I could see us silently pursuing is Gausman.  He’s not a Scherzer type #1 obviously, but he’d give us another quality arm at the top of the rotation, is highly durable, and has a connection to Katz.  I’m guessing it wouldn’t be a popular move here, but I’d absolutely love it if paired with a Conforto signing.

We would sign Gausman to a big deal and then he would proceed to come here and put up an ERA in the 5's and be the most hated man on the planet by the board. That's my Gausman prediction if the Sox were to sign him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Snopek said:

You don’t think Gomes will be looking for a starting gig?

Yeah, maybe -- I guess that's why it would merely "surprise" me rather than "shock" me ☺️  But at 34/35 I could imagine him buying into a "shared" role for a contender along the lines of what he bought into with the Nats/Suzuki in 2019.