2022 Offseason Plan Thread

Chicago White Sox

39 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I have no idea. Probably depends on Scott Boras. Trading Andrew Vaughn will be a mistake though and they shouldn't do it. 

THANK YOU JIMMY (insert Michael Scott gif)!  

Jimmy - is Vaughn even available, or can I rest easy that all these proposals involving him are meatball takes? All of AV, Eloy, Abreu and Grandal can co-exist on this roster.  We just need to sign good baseball players that fill team needs in RF and 2B.  

10 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think I just threw up. Why is everyone in a hurry to trade Vaughn?  Please baby Jesus, tell me this isn't the plan. 

I think there are two separate thoughts there that have been intertwined.  I wouldn’t worry about us selling Vaughn for something like that.  Would have to be for a star of some sorts.

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

THANK YOU JIMMY (insert Michael Scott gif)!  

Jimmy - is Vaughn even available, or can I rest easy that all these proposals involving him are meatball takes? All of AV, Eloy, Abreu and Grandal can co-exist on this roster.  We just need to sign good baseball players that fill team needs in RF and 2B.  

Why is 5 years of Andrew Vaughn plus other prospects for three years of Ketel Marte at $30M a “meatball” take?

13 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think I just threw up. Why is everyone in a hurry to trade Vaughn?  Please baby Jesus, tell me this isn't the plan. 

If they are going to trade Vaughn then now is the time to do it. If he has another mediocre season his value will become non existent on the trade market. If you believe in Vaughn you don't trade him because that bat can be special. If you are offered a superstar with a few years remaining on their deal, you consider it. 

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why is 5 years of Andrew Vaughn plus other prospects for three years of Ketel Marte at $30M a “meatball” take?

First off - I didn't see Ketel Marte's name mentioned in the last few pages that I just read.  That makes some sense from the Sox perspective.

Was moreso referring to the Pablo Lopez, John Means, Lourdes Guerriel level takes

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I was told Max is in no hurry to make a decision so yeah expect him to sign any day now. 

Have the White Sox yet made a map showing how close Glendale Arizona is to California? It's basically like playing there full time.

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

If they are going to trade Vaughn then now is the time to do it. If he has another mediocre season his value will become non existent on the trade market. If you believe in Vaughn you don't trade him because that bat can be special. If you are offered a superstar with a few years remaining on their deal, you consider it. 

And if he has a season of sustained success in 22 - which he is certainly capable of doing - while continuing to show average defense in LF, he's likely worth more than he is today.  AV was solid, but didn't exactly light the world on fire in his rookie campaign.  I don't think his value is at its highest by any means.  The guy went from high A to the big leagues all while learning a position he hadn't played since little league - he's going to improve immensely in 22. 

40 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I have no idea. Probably depends on Scott Boras. Trading Andrew Vaughn will be a mistake though and they shouldn't do it. 

The same thing was said last year when there was all the speculation about trading for Corbin Burnes. That rumor was real but the Sox didn't make Vaughn , Kopech or Crochet available even though Burnes fit the window better since he already had MLB innings under his belt and it was a fair assumption that he was capable of close to 150 IP based on the previous years workloads.

But no one wanted to trade them  .Only a few were bold enough to accept the scorn of Soxtalk by suggesting trading any of those guys for Burnes. I suggested Vaughn and Crochet .

End result was we missed out of the NL Cy Young winner and a possible Championship. Also a package eerily similar to what was supposedly offered for Burnes was used to trade for Kimbrel and Hernandez neither of whom should be playing for the Sox in 2022. The Sox will probably end up with very little for trading Madrigal, Heuer and Pilkington except for making the Sox worse rather than having an excellent shot at the World Series. Burnes only got a chance to pitch 1 game in the playoffs, 6 scoreless innings in a win against eventual World Series Champ Atlanta Braves who actually improved their team with trades at the deadline.

The Sox are now in the same position as last year. Sure Vaughn , Kopech and Crochet are still here and 1 year closer to reaching their full potential but neither one is a lock for immediate success. In case anyone hasn't noticed but the window is wide open now , as it was last year.

All that being said I don't want them to trade for anyone if the trade deadline results are what to expect.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

17 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Don't ever give up!

8 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The same thing was said last year when there was all the speculation about trading for Corbin Burnes. That rumor was real but the Sox didn't make Vaughn , Kopech or Crochet available even though Burnes fit the window better since he already had MLB innings under his belt and it was a fair assumption that he was capable of close to 150 IP based on the previous years workloads.

But no one wanted to trade them  .Only a few were bold enough to accept the scorn of Soxtalk by suggesting trading any of those guys for Burnes. I suggested Vaughn and Crochet .

End result was we missed out of the NL Cy Young winner and a possible Championship. Also a package eerily similar to what was supposedly offered for Burnes was used to trade for Kimbrel and Hernandez neither of whom should be playing for the Sox in 2022. The Sox will probably end up with very little for trading Madrigal, Heuer and Pilkington except for making the Sox worse rather than having an excellent shot at the World Series. Burnes only got a chance to pitch 1 game in the playoffs, 6 scoreless innings in a win against eventual World Series Champ Atlanta Braves who actually improved their team with trades at the deadline.

The Sox are now in the same position as last year. Sure Vaughn , Kopech and Crochet are still here and 1 year closer to reaching their full potential but neither one is a lock for immediate success. In case anyone hasn't noticed but the window is wide open now , as it was last year.

All that being said I don't want them to trade for anyone if the trade deadline results are what to expect.

Post of the year.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I was under the impression most people were fine with Madrigal ++ or Crochet ++ but not Vaughn/Kopech. Now would I have done Madrigal + Crochet?  I don't remember.  Hindsight makes it hard to remember.

23 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Where was it stated the rumor was real? Why would the Brewers trade Burnes last offseason? It made no sense. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

When I was thinking about it, I thought maybe Escobar and Romy could make a platoon (give Escobar some more rest). Then I looked it up and realized Escobar has actually been better against lefties than righties throughout his career to the point where I am actually questioning the fit.

Edit: and looking at the free agent list, I feel like they will make a trade to fill 2B (with the possibility of Hernandez coming back at a cheaper price *gulps*).

Edited by Bob Sacamano

22 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Where was it stated the rumor was real? Why would the Brewers trade Burnes last offseason? It made no sense. 

Re-read the thread , you'll see. It's in there somewhere. I think James Fox said it had legs. Sure it made no sense if the Sox didn't offer enough. There's no guarantee Milwaukee would've traded Burnes even if offered a better package but if Madrigal , Heuer + was the best the Sox could do then it was never going to happen.

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Re-read the thread , you'll see. It's in there somewhere. I think James Fox said it had legs. Sure it made no sense if the Sox didn't offer enough. There's no guarantee Milwaukee would've traded Burnes even if offered a better package but if Madrigal , Heuer + was the best the Sox could do then it was never going to happen.

The White Sox may have wanted him, but unless they overpaid dearly, they weren't going to get him. The Sox would have probably had to offer more than they got for Sale. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

The White Sox may have wanted him, but unless they overpaid dearly, they weren't going to get him. The Sox would have probably had to offer more than they got for Sale. 

Who knows, I mean if Vaughn and Crochet + got it done is that better than what the Sox got for Sale? I guess we will find out in another 5+ years or so.