2022 Offseason Plan Thread

Chicago White Sox

Just now, 35thstreetswarm said:

I like that we can see the identity of people who "laugh" at posts now.  Like, someone "laughed" at the post quoted above -- they looked at this post and thought to themselves, "this person wants the Sox to be good for 5 years rather than two.  That is hilarious!  I think it's funny to want to be good for a long time, rather than a short time.  In fact, I need to show everyone I think so.  Bang--done"

Well Adam is definitely one of those win right now in spite of everything the future may hold type of guys, so not at all surprising.  

Just now, maloney.adam said:

Hahahaha, so people can laugh at my posts and I get mad but when I laugh at someone’s post and they get mad that’s fair? Lmao

Where did I get mad?  I find it hilarious.  Nothing about my post was funny.  I want sustained success.  You want to win a WS in 22 at all costs.  Differences of opinions.  But guess what?  Winning a WS is hard, and largely a crap shoot once you get in.  The more chances you get, the likely you are to win one.  I don't want to sacrifice our extended window with dumbass moves.  We already had a major fuckup with Madrigal/Heuer.  Enough of them. 

• Like 3

Just now, fathom said:

No offense but every Vaughn trade proposal listed in the last hour made me cringe 

every pitcher i'd trade him for is on a team that is competing. Yeah, would love Jose Urias or Buehler. I'd love Woodruff, Burnes, Peralta. 

Here's an interesting one, that I wouldn't do.

Would you trade Vaughn for Mackenzie Gore

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

No offense but every Vaughn trade proposal listed in the last hour made me cringe 

Every proposal over the past year has made me cringe (or "plans" to reduce him to a short-end platoon guy).

Vaughn has a lot of growth ahead, cracked the majors playing a brand new position as one of the youngest players in the majors, and did very well adjusting. He will grow and learn and provide significant contributions now and in the future.

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

every pitcher i'd trade him for is on a team that is competing. Yeah, would love Jose Urias or Buehler. I'd love Woodruff, Burnes, Peralta. 

This is an exact proposal I thought of too if they were so hell bent on dealing Vaughn.  Which I think is dumb

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

Good idea but nope on Gore. Far too many questions about his command.  I’d be ok with Vaughn for Reynolds or K. Marte (part of package).

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Vaughn for Bassitt or Gray/Castillo would be very disappointing.  I don't think we have enough to get either without him, but talk about going all in on the next 2 years and shortening this window. If that's the plan, there is a surefire way to do it! 

I think we could get Bassitt without him for sure.  The other guys not so much.

20 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Where did I get mad?  I find it hilarious.  Nothing about my post was funny.  I want sustained success.  You want to win a WS in 22 at all costs.  Differences of opinions.  But guess what?  Winning a WS is hard, and largely a crap shoot once you get in.  The more chances you get, the likely you are to win one.  I don't want to sacrifice our extended window with dumbass moves.  We already had a major fuckup with Madrigal/Heuer.  Enough of them. 

I was just throwing it out there as an idea or speculation. I get what your saying because of what the Cubs did to their team but I don’t think trading Vaughn is going to hurt the team long term that much as some people really think. We can have a difference of opinion though. 

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

No.  Much more uncertainty with Gore than Vaughn (at a position that's inherently more uncertain), and don't think even the likely development into even best-possible outcome matches our timeline.

17 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

My plan if we had to trade Vaughn would be to get many years of control back, not a Bassit/Gray who have 1/2 years.

I’m ok trading Vaughn for a younger arm who could potentially breakout with us, but we need a dude that can eat regular season innings.  You don’t trade Vaughn a player that can’t help prior to October.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m ok trading Vaughn for a younger arm who could potentially breakout with us, but we need a dude that can eat regular season innings.  You don’t trade Vaughn a player that can’t help prior to October.

So you trade him for Bassitt who can only help you one year ?

Just now, Harold's Leg Lift said:

No.  If I'm trading Vaughn it's for a bat who fits better on this team.

Ok, I agree and I don't see pitching as a fit for him. 

Hitters mentioned:
Bryan Reynolds
Ketel Marte

Both would be incredible gets, with control.
Others I'd consider:

Lowe (b/c who knows with TB)

Here's a weird one: San Francisco offers you Mike Yazstremski, Kyle Harrison for Vaughn

???

20 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Every proposal over the past year has made me cringe (or "plans" to reduce him to a short-end platoon guy).

Vaughn has a lot of growth ahead, cracked the majors playing a brand new position as one of the youngest players in the majors, and did very well adjusting. He will grow and learn and provide significant contributions now and in the future.

Vaughn for Lux made you cringe?

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

Would never happen, but Vaughn and Crochet for Shane Bieber is the type of deal that would be ideal

exactly - the team that matches up best for sox is cleveland, which makes them the team that matches up worst. From Jose Ramirez to the pitching, they are the yin to our yang except our yang is bigger and we just need their beautiful yangs

Andrew Vaughn won the Golden Spikes award for the best college player.  Here are the past winners before him:

2016: Kyle Lewis (ROY)

2015: Benintendi (eh)

2014: AJ Reed (Ouch)

2013-2001: Kris Bryant (great), Zunino (fine), Bauer (great), Harper (great), Strasburg (great), Posey (great), Price (great), Lincecum (great), Gordon (great), Weaver (great), Weeks (good), Prior (great)

All in all, the vast majortity of the people who won that award went on to be very very good/great MLB players.  Not sure why so many here have practically given up on Vaughn (yes trading him for Bassit/Gray is giving up on him).

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

Ok, I agree and I don't see pitching as a fit for him. 

Hitters mentioned:
Bryan Reynolds
Ketel Marte

Both would be incredible gets, with control.
Others I'd consider:

Lowe (b/c who knows with TB)

Here's a weird one: San Francisco offers you Mike Yazstremski, Kyle Harrison for Vaughn

???

Trading for either Bryan Reynolds or Ketel Marte would be incredible and would still be considered a win now move but also for a long term competitive window.

Edited by maloney.adam

2 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Andrew Vaughn won the Golden Spikes award for the best college player.  Here are the past winners before him:

2016: Kyle Lewis (ROY)

2015: Benintendi (eh)

2014: AJ Reed (Ouch)

2013-2001: Kris Bryant (great), Zunino (fine), Bauer (great), Harper (great), Strasburg (great), Posey (great), Price (great), Lincecum (great), Gordon (great), Weaver (great), Weeks (good), Prior (great)

All in all, the vast majortity of the people who won that award went on to be very very good MLB players.  Not sure why so many here have practically given up on Vaughn (yes trading him for Bassit/Gray is giving up on him).

Especially if they weren’t willing to give him up for Burnes last year 

• Like 1