2022 Offseason Plan Thread

Chicago White Sox

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Can you enlighten us to which defensive metric you used to determine this ?  Defensive stats are a mishmash where one can draw multiple conclusions from UZR,DRS and OAA. Schwarber threw out a lot of base runners and looks OK on paper because of that, the same way Adam Eaton once did.

Also kicking around a few hits will hurt bad in a SSS, while if you don't kick them and catch all the fly balls you get near can hide the fact you get poor reads and jumps and have no range.

Someone with good speed and a good jump may not take the best routes because he's off with the crack of the bat and may have to adjust his route on the way. Grading OF defense is difficult. I prefer a good range factor and OAA when it comes to defense.

One thing Schwarber does well defensively is throw, but the rest is pretty bad. The thing is, with Robert in CF fully healthy, I wouldn't be too worried about the range in the corners. They can cheat towards the lines and the Sox would be fine. What they need is someone who will make the plays when the ball is hit their way, and being able to throw would be a big plus.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Can you enlighten us to which defensive metric you used to determine this ?  Defensive stats are a mishmash where one can draw multiple conclusions from UZR,DRS and OAA. Schwarber threw out a lot of base runners and looks OK on paper because of that, the same way Adam Eaton once did.

Also kicking around a few hits will hurt bad in a SSS, while if you don't kick them and catch all the fly balls you get near can hide the fact you get poor reads and jumps and have no range.

Someone with good speed and a good jump may not take the best routes because he's off with the crack of the bat and may have to adjust his route on the way. Grading OF defense is difficult. I prefer a good range factor and OAA when it comes to defense.

bref and baseball info. That's understandable, conforto has much more range than schwarber, but we have the best defensive center fielder in the league. Conforto has a complete noodle for an arm. Schwarber can throw guys out. Usually I'm on the side of range, but in the context of our team I think we could live with a guy with limited range. And the defense isn't a good enough reason to argue for conforto over schwarber's hitting ability

17 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

One thing Schwarber does well defensively is throw, but the rest is pretty bad. The thing is, with Robert in CF fully healthy, I wouldn't be too worried about the range in the corners. They can cheat towards the lines and the Sox would be fine. What they need is someone who will make the plays when the ball is hit their way, and being able to throw would be a big plus.

What are you basing his ability to throw on?

Just curious, because i know the first couple years he “played outfield” full time, especially the first one, teams were trying to take extra bases on him like crazy because they looked at him playing outfield as an insult to outfielders everywhere.  So he had a bunch of assists and whatnot because teams were trying to take bases they normally wouldn’t.  

It was pure disrespect across the board, so yea, he had inflated assist numbers.  

credit to him for working hard and not being the worst defensive player in the history of the game, but I’m pretty sure he’s just about as bad as it can get out there.  

1 minute ago, Jerksticks said:

What are you basing his ability to throw on?

Just curious, because i know the first couple years he “played outfield” full time, especially the first one, teams were trying to take extra bases on him like crazy because they looked at him playing outfield as an insult to outfielders everywhere.  So he had a bunch of assists and whatnot because teams were trying to take bases they normally wouldn’t.  

It was pure disrespect across the board, so yea, he had inflated assist numbers.  

credit to him for working hard and not being the worst defensive player in the history of the game, but I’m pretty sure he’s just about as bad as it can get out there.  

He definitely has a strong arm and improved from his disaster 2015 postseason defense

4 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

This year’s team, sure. He should be their 1B for the next decade though. Trading him would be very short-sighted 

And they simply can't have every player making 8 figures. 

As much as we want them to be, they simply aren't a Top 5 spending team and have a lot of money tied up in a lot of different places. They luckily don't hold a lot of "bad money" but Vaughn should provide them + production at a base level salary. That alone provides a decent amount of value. 

Trading Madrigal also impacted plans, as that's another position where money is now going to have to be spent. 

• Like 2

I created a $185M roster payroll team this morning that had people jumping off buildings so just prepare yourself people, even a $200M payroll doesn't get you anywhere near a spending spree of  scherzer, conforto, semien it just basically allows you to get a great guy and two good guys

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Sounds like Vaughn/Sheets/Engel will be adequate after all.  Good...now save the money to use at our other areas of need.  That top-tier 2 nd baseman and the quality starter won't come cheap.