2022 Offseason Plan Thread

Chicago White Sox

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

I created a $185M roster payroll team this morning that had people jumping off buildings so just prepare yourself people, even a $200M payroll doesn't get you anywhere near a spending spree of  scherzer, conforto, semien it just basically allows you to get a great guy and two good guys

What kind of payroll are we looking at if we sign Scherzer and Conforto? Assume we swap Kimbrel for Segura in that scenario, so we’re not freeing up any money with a Kimbrel trade. 

Just now, SoxBlanco said:

What kind of payroll are we looking at if we sign Scherzer and Conforto? Assume we swap Kimbrel for Segura in that scenario, so we’re not freeing up any money with a Kimbrel trade. 

Wouldn’t that be well over 200 million? I think they’re already at like 175 million after the Graveman signing.

Just now, SoxBlanco said:

Over 200.  To get that to work, you'd also have to dump Keuchel for salary relief. (which I am fine with lol)

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

So who’s everyone’s guess for the biggest guy they sign?  I’m going Semien in a shocker 

Frank Thomas is coming out of retirement and signing a 6/175 deal to be our homegrown Ontani.

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

yeah, I made this if you want and have a gmail account. Just either download it or copy it into your account: 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1v-L_AWIcTXsM6LdFFzwS7dB30E3rS-WLeOe4anRs1MI/edit?usp=sharing

With graverman, and without kimbrel:
Scherzer @ $35M and Conforto @ $19million (which came from spotrac) puts you at $199M. That's without any 2b, so you are rolling with Romy.

Trading Keuchel helps.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

yeah, I made this if you want and have a gmail account. Just either download it or copy it into your account: 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1v-L_AWIcTXsM6LdFFzwS7dB30E3rS-WLeOe4anRs1MI/edit?usp=sharing

With graverman, and without kimbrel:
Scherzer @ $35M and Conforto @ $19million (which came from spotrac) puts you at $199M. That's without any 2b, so you are rolling with Romy.

Trading Keuchel helps.

under this scenario, I am trading Kimbrel for Segura and dumping Keuchel to anyone, may have to give some cash there. 

29 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Every off-season we hear about how the narrative is changing, the Sox are coming... they're all-in ready to spend big.

Fast-forward two months:

06-15_ken_williams_1_1920x1080_175111584

Good god man you’ve become unbearable since they hired La Russa.  There is a massive difference between rocking a fairly large payroll and them signing guys like Correa, Seager, etc.  They could get to $190M with a bunch of B tier signings.  None of this is far-fetched.

28 minutes ago, fathom said:

So who’s everyone’s guess for the biggest guy they sign?  I’m going Semien in a shocker 

I would like them to sign sign Scott Ruffcorn and Mike Wright Jr. as their big offseason moves. LFG!

More realistic, I’ll go with Schwarber and Conforto. They will acquire a 2B and a SP in trades.

Edited by maloney.adam

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Good god man you’ve become unbearable since they hired La Russa.  There is a massive difference between rocking a fairly large payroll and them signing guys like Correa, Seager, etc.  They could get to $190M with a bunch of B tier signings.  None of this is far-fetched.

Me and you are opposites, although not to an extreme because you're pretty positive year round, but I'm very positive about the team, players and during the season. You are insanely positive every single off-season. You've been tooting the "this is different, I think we're really gonna get him" horn since the Machado off-season.

I'm not asking for Correa or Seager, the Sox have a SS. If the Sox want to sign a couple of 90-130 million dollar free agents then I'll start giving them the benefit of the doubt in future years. But... let's have them convert on just one player in that range in their entire organizational existence before calling people who are skeptical negative nancy's.

You give me any combination of Gausman/Semien, Ray/Semien, Ray/Conforto, Gausman/Conforto, I'll be floored and happy to think the Sox will actually have good off-seasons. You give me one, and I'll be pleasantly surprised and start to give some benefit of the doubt.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Well over $200M.  I was able to add Scherzer & Conforto and stay at $199.9M in my hypothetical scenario but that required trading Kimbrel with basically no cash coming, dumping Keuchel’s contract with $7M in dead money, and little to nothing else other than one decently paid reliever.  Scherzer just eats so much payroll if you assume anything realistic for him.

2 hours ago, Tony said:

And they simply can't have every player making 8 figures. 

As much as we want them to be, they simply aren't a Top 5 spending team and have a lot of money tied up in a lot of different places. They luckily don't hold a lot of "bad money" but Vaughn should provide them + production at a base level salary. That alone provides a decent amount of value. 

Trading Madrigal also impacted plans, as that's another position where money is now going to have to be spent. 

I'm not a sage when it comes to determining player value. I'd like to know from anyone better at it what they think of the Value section at the very bottom of a player's page on Fangraphs under the Dollars portion. Dollars is described as "WAR converted to dollars based on what a player would make in Free Agency". I assume the number is the worth in millions. According to that info here is what I saw for the 2021 season.

Conforto: $6.5 which is the worst of his career. Also the worst defense of his career. RAR Runs Above Replacement (batting + base running + fielding + positional + replacement) 8.1

Vaughn: $2.4  3.0 RAR 127 games, 469 PA

Burger $2.5  RAR 3.1 .  15 games, 42 PA

Sheets: $3.4 , 4.2 RAR , 54 games ,179 PA

Eloy Jimenez: $1.9  , RAR 2.4 , 55 games 231 PA. Eloy had a .8 WAR in his 1st 13 games back after injury and finished the season at .2. Those last 32 games hurt the Sox bad. Edited to include him.

Madrigal : $10.7 All positive numbers across the board for batting, base running, and fielding. 13.7 RAR

Scwarber: $24.5 30.6 RAR basically his hitting value more than cancelled out his negative values in other things but his fielding didn't look so terrible in LF. Much like Vaughn will always be negative but negative passable . RF for both highly questionable.

Escobar : $23.9  29.8 RAR all positive numbers, 3rd best of his career all coming in his last 3 full season, not counting Covid year.

Segura: $19.8  24.6 RAR  5th highest value of his career which shows you his consistency.

Gavin Lux : $8.3  10.3 RAR

Tony Kemp: $21.7  RAR 27.1  No history of anything remotely close to these numbers. Madrigal size and 30 yo.

Bryan Reynolds : $43.8 , RAR 54.6 to give you some perspective we have..

Bryce Harper : $53.0 , RAR 66.1

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Me and you are opposites, although not to an extreme because you're pretty positive year round, but I'm very positive about the team, players and during the season. You are insanely positive every single off-season. You've been tooting the "this is different, I think we're really gonna get him" horn since the Machado off-season.

I'm not asking for Correa or Seager, the Sox have a SS. If the Sox want to sign a couple of 90-130 million dollar free agents then I'll start giving them the benefit of the doubt in future years. But... let's have them convert on just one player in that range in their entire organizational existence before calling people who are skeptical negative nancy's.

You give me any combination of Gausman/Semien, Ray/Semien, Ray/Conforto, Gausman/Conforto, I'll be floored and happy to think the Sox will actually have good off-seasons. You give me one, and I'll be pleasantly surprised and start to give some benefit of the doubt.

Ray - You know I’m a huge fan and you have every right to be skeptical of us even landing a $200M+ free agent with Jerry around.  I just think guys in the $60M to gulp $150M range are possibilities.  Conforto in particular should be a realistic get.  That being said, the Sox rocking a $190M+ payroll isn’t that far fetched and they can quickly fill that up with several signings we wouldn’t all be satisfied with.  Whether they spend it on actual impact talent remains to be seen, but I truly believe the money is there to make a pair of sizable signings.  Personally, I’m hoping for Conforto & Gausman.  That would send a major “fuck you” to the rest of the AL for the first time in like forever.

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Well over $200M.  I was able to add Scherzer & Conforto and stay at $199.9M in my hypothetical scenario but that required trading Kimbrel with basically no cash coming, dumping Keuchel’s contract with $7M in dead money, and little to nothing else other than one decently paid reliever.  Scherzer just eats so much payroll if you assume anything realistic for him.

Thanks. Yeah, that’s kind of what I figured. Hell, if JR is willing to go up to $200M, maybe he’s willing to go to $215M. But I guess the problem with that is the payroll would only increase over the next few years.