2022 Offseason Plan Thread

Chicago White Sox

Just now, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Doesn’t the CBA expire in a few days? If so, we might see a number of signings soon if guys want to go into that with a guarantee of where they will be playing next year.

December 1st at 11:59PM

I feel like deadlines, even not really true ones, like this are still helpful in spurring activity.

But doesn’t feel like to me that the top of market will sign by Tuesday anymore, not sure why. Just a gut feeling.

19 minutes ago, bmags said:

I feel like deadlines, even not really true ones, like this are still helpful in spurring activity.

But doesn’t feel like to me that the top of market will sign by Tuesday anymore, not sure why. Just a gut feeling.

I think Kimbrel will be traded for sure with all those leaks that happened. 

Edited by maloney.adam

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-black-friday-trade-ideas-2021?partnerId=zh-20211126-508758-mlb-1-A&qid=1026&utm_id=zh-20211126-508758-mlb-1-A&bt_ee=vvP9hZh2PxIZPl3beke2mpPoRPpIGl%2BVnCvw38IgoN2vuEbb1y6msoyK8lT8uaXU&bt_ts=1637932578452

Three trades that would break the internet with Hader and Chapman to Philly, Ketel Marte traded and Buxton to the Astros as well.  Also, Glasnow and Kiermaier dealt by budget-conscious Rays…who would then (theoretically) trade for Kimbrel, haha?

The trade that would break the internet
Phillies get: 3B Matt Chapman, LHP Josh Hader
Brewers get: 1B Matt Olson, LHP A.J. Puk
A’s get: 1B Keston Hiura, RHP Mick Abel (Phillies’ No. 1 prospect), SS Bryson Stott (Phillies’ No. 2 prospect), OF Ethan Wilson (Phillies’ No. 7 prospect), C Logan O’Hoppe (Phillies’ No. 11 prospect), OF Garrett Mitchell (Brewers’ No. 1 prospect)

A Blue Jays blockbuster
Blue Jays get: 2B/CF Ketel Marte
Guardians get: C Alejandro Kirk
D-backs get: IF Cavan Biggio, RHP Gunnar Hoglund (Blue Jays’ No. 4 prospect), RHP Daniel Espino (Guardians’ No. 5 prospect), OF Josh Palacios (Blue Jays’ No. 21 prospect)

The Buxton stops here
Astros get: OF Byron Buxton
Twins get: OF Chas McCormick, RHP Forrest Whitley (Astros’ No. 5 prospect), OF Colin Barber (Astros’ No. 7 prospect)

Buxton is one of the most purely talented players in the sport and a true game-changer when healthy. But he’s played just 215 games over the last four seasons, which makes his long-term value difficult to calculate. While the Twins do hope to get back into contention in 2022, it makes sense for them to deal Buxton if they can’t get an extension done.

Also, would we be satisfied with that return for Vaughn or Jimenez?  Many were stating that giving up either “core piece” was absolutely crazy.  A lot would absolutely depend on a Whitley bounceback.

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-black-friday-trade-ideas-2021?partnerId=zh-20211126-508758-mlb-1-A&qid=1026&utm_id=zh-20211126-508758-mlb-1-A&bt_ee=vvP9hZh2PxIZPl3beke2mpPoRPpIGl%2BVnCvw38IgoN2vuEbb1y6msoyK8lT8uaXU&bt_ts=1637932578452

Three trades that would break the internet with Hader and Chapman to Philly, Ketel Marte traded and Buxton to the Astros as well.  Also, Glasnow and Kiermaier dealt by budget-conscious Rays…who would then (theoretically) trade for Kimbrel, haha?

The trade that would break the internet
Phillies get: 3B Matt Chapman, LHP Josh Hader
Brewers get: 1B Matt Olson, LHP A.J. Puk
A’s get: 1B Keston Hiura, RHP Mick Abel (Phillies’ No. 1 prospect), SS Bryson Stott (Phillies’ No. 2 prospect), OF Ethan Wilson (Phillies’ No. 7 prospect), C Logan O’Hoppe (Phillies’ No. 11 prospect), OF Garrett Mitchell (Brewers’ No. 1 prospect)

A Blue Jays blockbuster
Blue Jays get: 2B/CF Ketel Marte
Guardians get: C Alejandro Kirk
D-backs get: IF Cavan Biggio, RHP Gunnar Hoglund (Blue Jays’ No. 4 prospect), RHP Daniel Espino (Guardians’ No. 5 prospect), OF Josh Palacios (Blue Jays’ No. 21 prospect)

The Buxton stops here
Astros get: OF Byron Buxton
Twins get: OF Chas McCormick, RHP Forrest Whitley (Astros’ No. 5 prospect), OF Colin Barber (Astros’ No. 7 prospect)

Buxton is one of the most purely talented players in the sport and a true game-changer when healthy. But he’s played just 215 games over the last four seasons, which makes his long-term value difficult to calculate. While the Twins do hope to get back into contention in 2022, it makes sense for them to deal Buxton if they can’t get an extension done.

Also, would we be satisfied with that return for Vaughn or Jimenez?  Many were stating that giving up either “core piece” was absolutely crazy.  A lot would absolutely depend on a Whitley bounceback.

Caulfield I’ll tell ya this, if we actually were announced as acquiring Buxton I’d be super psyched, he’s a very fun player to watch.

But it does seem silly as hell with Robert in CF. It’s a bit like acquiring Kimbrel, I guess.

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

Caulfield I’ll tell ya this, if we actually were announced as acquiring Buxton I’d be super psyched, he’s a very fun player to watch.

But it does seem silly as hell with Robert in CF. It’s a bit like acquiring Kimbrel, I guess.

When’s the last time there was a team with too much outfield defense?  The 2014-15 Royals?  Seems to have worked out pretty darned well for them running out Gordon, Dyson, Cain, etc.

It obviously depends on the asking price…and the Sox paying a “divisional premium” like we similarly saw in the Q and Kimbrel trades with the Cubs.

But man would it suck if he (now) finally lives up to his massive potential in the AL, especially with the Astros.

Regarding Scherzer, I just don’t see how the Mets can afford him.  Obviously we don’t know what the luxury tax will look like, but Spotrac shows them with a luxury tax payrol of $231M after yesterday’s addition.  The third tier under the current CBA is $250M, so even if they sign a normal starting pitcher or two they will exceed.  Scherzer would cause them to blow it out of the water and I’m not sure if any team has hit that third threshold (but could be wrong there).

Having a late Thanksgiving dinner with my wife’s family today in Homer Glen.  Already have been yelled at a dozen times the last few days for “blogging” too much as she calls it and will not have access to my phone starting around 4pm.  As such, I’m expecting tons of crazy Sox rumors to happen concurrently starting at this time.

21 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Having a late Thanksgiving dinner with my wife’s family today in Homer Glen.  Already have been yelled at a dozen times the last few days for “blogging” too much as she calls it and will not have access to my phone starting around 4pm.  As such, I’m expecting tons of crazy Sox rumors to happen concurrently starting at this time.

HAHA ! Momma giving you a time out . Don't give the Sox a second thought, I'm sure nothing will happen.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Does she not understand FA will freeze starting in a few days?

WTF.

Feel free to educate her this afternoon over some pumpkin pie, CWS.

/On the other hand, I don't want the whole pie to end up on your sweater so maybe not.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Don’t kid yourself. You’ll be checking for updates in the bathroom. 

• Haha 2
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Does she not understand FA will freeze starting in a few days?

WTF.

Feel free to educate her this afternoon over some pumpkin pie, CWS.

/On the other hand, I don't want the whole pie to end up on your sweater so maybe not.

Stop your blogging right this instant.