2022 Offseason Plan Thread

Chicago White Sox

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

A 98 wRC+ against RHP isn’t solving our needs.

Signing a player that's been worth 5.1, 6.0, 2.5 (7.5 WAR pace), & 3.3  WAR respectively over the last 4 years sounds pretty good to me. Particularly when I think people have been greatly overlooking the importance of adding quality SS depth to the organization. He fills the biggest current need on the roster, gives you TA insurance which I view as essential, and I think he's a vastly superior player to many of the other "realistic" position player options so opting for a guy that projects to be ~1+ WAR worse (Steamer has Conforto 1.1 WAR worse than Story next year, so he's a perfect comp) that hits righties better isn't something I'd be willing to do. But if you disagree, that's fine. Improving vs RHP is also something the Sox clearly need to do.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Signing a player that's been worth 5.1, 6.0, 2.5 (7.5 WAR pace), & 3.3  WAR respectively over the last 4 years sounds pretty good to me. Particularly when I think people have been greatly overlooking the importance of adding quality SS depth to the organization. He fills the biggest current need on the roster, gives you TA insurance which I view as essential, and I think he's a vastly superior player to many of the other "realistic" position player options so opting for a guy that projects to be ~1+ WAR worse (Steamer has Conforto 1.1 WAR worse than Story next year, so he's a perfect comp) that hits righties better isn't something I'd be willing to do. But if you disagree, that's fine. Improving vs RHP is also something the Sox clearly need to do.

Story will require a significantly larger commitment than Conforto and candidly speaking the Coors factor makes me nervous.  That’s not to suggest he will flop by leaving, but makes me nervous enough to be worried.

3 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

I think it’s not wrong. For one, we also need power, which story has previously had. And I don’t know that priority for 2b shouldn’t be defense first and foremost. But it would have to be a situation that was on favorable terms. 

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Story will require a significantly larger commitment than Conforto and candidly speaking the Coors factor makes me nervous.  That’s not to suggest he will flop by leaving, but makes me nervous enough to be worried.

I get that. I read a lot about the Coors effect and how hitters do after being traded/leaving as FA's when Arenado was traded and there isn't this long history of guys falling of a cliff or anything like that. But it's a valid concern.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I’m wondering if the FO is just dysfunctional or there’s stuff going on that we aren’t aware of?

They aren’t going to shell out big money, that’s not how this organization  operates. If anything the Dallas contract will prove to Jerry even more that pitching isn’t worth big contracts for the long run. 

4 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

They aren’t going to shell out big money, that’s not how this organization  operates. If anything the Dallas contract will prove to Jerry even more that pitching isn’t worth big contracts for the long run. 

Yeah but we won't cheap with DK. We signed an aging vet soft tossing lefty. That is more of a waste of money than signing a great pitcher to big dollars. Especially when your window is open. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Oh come on man

Stroman said he'd never play for TLR, so there's just a metric ton of meh out there. Who knows, Keuchel could bounce back to a typical Buehrle season (3.75 ERA, 120 K) 

Who is an upgrade on Keuchel outside of Ray and Stroman? 

I'm also assuming Kershaw will re-sign in LA and Rodon is gone. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Stroman said he'd never play for TLR, so there's just a metric ton of meh out there. Who knows, Keuchel could bounce back to a typical Buehrle season (3.75 ERA, 120 K) 

Stroman will play for good guy Steve Cohen, but not TLR, LOL. 

• Like 1

Alright so disheartened 11/29 playlists.

Reminder, I'm evaluating white sox on whether additions help with things I specifically find us weak at:

- RHP hitting (RHP)
- GB % (GB)
- Defense (DEF)
- Contact (K%)
- Power (SLG)
- Versatility (VERS)
- Pitching Arsenal (ARS)
- Pitching Control (CON)

Option 1: Schwarber-Ray
- Sign Schwarber at 4 for 20
- Sign Corey Dickerson at 1 yr 8.5M, club option for year 2 at $10M with 1M buyout
- Sign Leury @ 5.5M
- Sign Robbie Ray @ 6yr $132 M
- Trade Kimbrel to LAD for Jacob Amaya, James Outman
- Sign Robinson Chirinos to ST invite 
Total Salary : $200.6M

Trait breakdown:
GB+ - Schwarber (Dickerson neutral, Leury doesn't hurt since he was last year too)
DEF- - Dickerson COULD be plus, no idea what happened last year. Leury at 2b I think could be plus
Contact Neutral
Power + - Schwarber
Versatility- - Schwarber
ARS, CON - ray not necessarily PLUS PLUS there

Illustrative in where sox are at, despite a TWO plus additons, I dumpster dove to round out. Removing Keuchel a must at this point.

Option 2 - lite

Remove Keuchel, add Kikuchi - Changes to 190M

Will continue to do more.

anxious to see if ay of these dudes signed while writing ha.

• Like 2

On 11/9/2021 at 7:42 AM, ChiSox59 said:
  • Sign Conforto (4 years; $70M)
  • Trade Keuchel + Burger for Tommy La Stella (stealing La Stella idea from @Chicago White Sox),
  • Re-sign Leury (2 years; $8M); LaStella may not be ready for ST and TLR loves him some Larry;
  • All you can eat AAAA trade: Zack Collins, Micker Adolfo and Blake Rutherford to PIT for Jacob Stallings (all those guys get a chance with a bad club that can give them the chances)
  • Trade Kimbrel to Phillies for Seranthony Dominguez and Mickey Moniak (Phils eat whole bill; Moniak just AAAA insurance and likely nothingburger)
  • Re-sign Ryan Tepera (2 years; $15M) 
  • Sign Chris Archer (1 year; $7.5M full of incentives)
  • Sign Jose Quintana to minor league deal

Roll up your sleeves and going to work with one of the best rosters in the game.  Payroll in this scenario is in the low-$180M, which frankly is about as low as it can realistically be if Sox are serious. 

This plan is still mostly in play.  Just replace Tepera with Graveman.  Find a different milb deal SP than Quintana.  

Let's make it happen, Rick.  

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

This plan is still mostly in play.  Just replace Tepera with Graveman.  Find a different milb deal SP than Quintana.  

Let's make it happen, Rick.  

It honestly is helpful to do these because its a reminder that we are not at 2019 white sox roster anymore.

Here is a very muted way to get to 190 million:
Seiya Suzuki (4 yrs $12M/yr opt out after 2 years)
Kimbrel for Marchan, Segura (+$2M)
+Tepera ($7M)
Danny Duffy 2 yr $24M