2022 Offseason Plan Thread

Chicago White Sox

1 minute ago, JoeCredeYes said:

Right, I'm advocating for Joc because I don't think Conforto is realistic or in the Sox plans and I think you can get his production for way cheaper, that's been my point all day.  I think we're in clear agreement here on the needs and an improved RF defender would be great.  I'm wearing my Rick Hahn hat here searching for ways to improve this team without spending in what appears to be a wild FA market. 

I guess I just have a little more faith that the Sox will make the finishing touches to this roster and not go cheap.  This is the offseason to do it.  I wasn't expecting elite additions. But Conforto, trade for LaStella or Segura, trade Kimbrel for a cheap controllable reliver, and sign a guy like Archer all seems doable and like a team that wins the central easily. 

I also don't think Joc is half the player Conforto is. 

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

I still think our ceiling is 4 years and $80 million. 

I guess if you’re Hahn, what’s the concern about the fifth year?  Regardless, what’s the backup plan if you don’t get a big-time corner OF bat like that.  That’s the only area with impact talent left in our perceived price range.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Probably the worst part.  I’ve clicked refresh so many times on this site that I’m probably going to have an aneurysm and I didn’t even get to enjoy one solid rumor (yet).

Between this, the Brian Kelly rumor and the mass exodus of GT football players, this might be an all-timer in terms of screen time for me

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Probably the worst part.  I’ve clicked refresh so many times on this site that I’m probably going to have an aneurysm and I didn’t even get to enjoy one solid rumor (yet).

I hope you're ready to tell your wife that all the blogging you have been doing recently is for naught. That won't be pretty. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

He didn't even look good at 1B, his natural position.

Bad at 1B, worse in RF.  Nice stick but that sample is size is awfully small.  Gavin Sheets being on the roster should have zero bearing on offseason acquisitions.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I guess I just have a little more faith that the Sox will make the finishing touches to this roster and not go cheap.  This is the offseason to do it.  I wasn't expecting elite additions. But Conforto, trade for LaStella or Segura, trade Kimbrel for a cheap controllable reliver, and sign a guy like Archer all seems doable and like a team that wins the central easily. 

I also don't think Joc is half the player Conforto is. 

Would you accept a Kimbrel trade for Segura and a Chris Taylor signing with Sheets/Taylor/Vaughn/Engel platoon in RF if it means another cheap controllable reliever and a slightly better SP?  I think that's all I can hope for at this point, I'll probably get nothing and like it. 

Just now, ron883 said:

I hope you're ready to tell your wife that all the blogging you have been doing recently is for naught. That won't be pretty. 

I explained to my wife last night about the upcoming lockout and how today would be busy in terms of sports stuff.  She’s excited to watch more Real Housewives.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, JoeCredeYes said:

Would you accept a Kimbrel trade for Segura and a Chris Taylor signing with Sheets/Taylor/Vaughn/Engel platoon in RF if it means another cheap controllable reliever and a slightly better SP?  I think that's all I can hope for at this point, I'll probably get nothing and like it. 

That team would get eaten up by RHP

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I guess if you’re Hahn, what’s the concern about the fifth year?  Regardless, what’s the backup plan if you don’t get a big-time corner OF bat like that.  That’s the only area with impact talent left in our perceived price range.

The nice thing about Conforto, especially at 4/$70M-80M is if he bounces back to 2019-2020 numbers, he's a BARGAIN.  Then if Colas or Cespedes explode, you have an awesome problem on your hands and can trade Conforto for a meaningful return AND get the team younger and cheaper while doing it.  

Just now, fathom said:

I explained to my wife last night about the upcoming lockout and how today would be busy in terms of sports stuff.  She’s excited to watch more Real Housewives.

I never thought I'd say it, but thank god for real housewives. There's always another one of those series for her to watch while I'm binging Bulls/White Sox. 

• Haha 1

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

The nice thing about Conforto, especially at 4/$70M-80M is if he bounces back to 2019-2020 numbers, he's a BARGAIN.  Then if Colas or Cespedes explode, you have an awesome problem on your hands and can trade Conforto for a meaningful return AND get the team younger and cheaper while doing it.  

4/78 is a good deal for both sides, but he’s probably seeking more years 

5 minutes ago, JoeCredeYes said:

So 2 more righties?

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

The projection systems have Conforto as a 2.5 win player next year. He's also only 29, so I doubt they'd project a huge fall for him production-wise in the next 4 years. At the very least, I think you're gonna get 10 WAR out of Conforto in a 4 year deal. At $20 million a year, that's about the going market rate. And like you said, there's a chance he bounces back and goes back to producing like a 4 WAR player. 

5 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am just going to say this outloud.  The Sox lack of activity so far tells me that they have a heavy belief that the deals will be better after the CBA gets done and this is why they have the lack of urgency to get it done.

This might be true, but I also think this line of thinking gives significant benefit of the doubt to an ownership group that doesn't deserve it.

47 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I agree completely with that statement. What is the point of playing 162 games, when so many mediocre teams can qualify for the Post Season? Any team can win a short series in baseball, which makes a World Series victory a lot less meaningful, with so many teams qualifying.  

Yep, I reduced my postseason viewing to the few teams I liked once they went to WC in 1995. If enacted, I won't bother period, just concentrate on Rotisserie / Fantasy, and the regular season. It's like Jerry wrote this plan, since the White Sox would be the primary beneficiary over the years with eight additional White Sox teams, or nearly as many as the eleven legitimate playoff appearances in franchise history.

Also, they should return to a balanced League Schedule and eliminate the garbage interleague games. Since half of each league is making the playoffs, there is no competitive reason for the Sox and others in garbage divisions to have an advantage when it comes to padding their record over 18 games against each of the 3-4 tanking teams. 168 game schedule, 12 games, 6 home, 6 away, against each of the 14 other teams.

Makes sense for Owners to propose this scheme:

• The owners have zero consideration for integrity of the game or fielding competitive teams. See Collusion, no NL DH, no minimum payroll, etc..
  • Many fans are happy solely by "making the playoffs twice in a row"
  • Owners keep the vast majority of postseason revenue
  • Owners no longer have to compete to finish in the top 3-5 spots, just need to be league average and with a dozen teams tanking, any team with a pulse will make it.

Losers which would have made it under this scheme since the Wild Card Era:

• 1995: Baltimore 71-73 & San Diego 70-74
  • 1997: Chicago A.L. 80-81; Detroit 79-83
  • 1998: Chicago A.L. 80-82
  • 1999: Seattle 79-83 & Pittsburgh 78-83
  • 2006: Cincinnati 80-82
  • 2014: Braves vs. Mets 79-83 play in game.
  • 2016: Miami 79-82
  • 2017: Three team play in game for the final two 80-82 spots: Tampa Bay, Kansas City and Los Angeles A.L.

Additional White Sox teams which would have made it: 1996 (85-77); 1997 (80-81); 1998 (80-82); 2001 (83-79); 2002 (81-81); 2004 (83-79); 2006 (90-72); 2010 (88-74)

Edited by South Side Hit Men