2022 Offseason Plan Thread

Chicago White Sox

Perhaps the Sox should not be overly apprehensive about giving Conforto a year, or two, more than they had planned. Even six years would only take him through his age 34 season. That would not be paying for a player who is way beyond his prime. Given these escalating salaries, maybe the money they have to give a player 6 years from now, might become relatively less than we now think.

I continue to believe that the hole on this current roster is the lack of sufficient offense against RHP. If the Sox can fill that need with Conforto, who plays second base becomes much less important. He could even be a guy who provides good defense and merely not be a black hole at the 9TH spot in the order. Segura would be fine, and if he helps unload Kimbrel, with no more than a one year commitment, I wouldn't complain. Segura actually profiles as a pretty decent hitter for a second baseman, even if $14.25 million is an overpay. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'd rather quit baseball than root for the clown college up there. 

Speaking of the Cubs, were all up in arms that we didn't sign anyone, but the Cubs who have one of the lowest 2022 payrolls have done very little.

My hope is we work a trade for one of Oaklands frontline starters Frankie Montas or Chris Bassitt.  Bring em home Hahn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’d take Baez at 2B because I think he can be better than he has been the past couple years. I’d love to take a swing at Seiya Suzuki too. Yeah that’s two more righties. What else we gonna do? Conforto would be a mistake. Sheets will be very comparable. 

• Like 1

Best I can tell, the teams with special considerations (Mets...new, wealthy owner, Rangers...new stadium, Mariners...general malaise) are making aggressive moves. The 'smart money' (Rays, Yankees, Dodgers, Brewers, Red Sox and even the Padres) have been watching from the sidelines. Frankly, I haven't seen one signing where I felt WS should have exceeded the winning bid/contract. My sense is this team will be improved going into '22. At this time, I'm fine watching things unfold, especially when the signed players aren't key targets.   

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I will never understand these Conforto takes.  Low batting average, but strong walk rate and has a lot of power.  I guess people still rely on batting average way too much.

His big fall this year scares me.  I know he is right handed, but everything else about Kris Bryant is exactly what this team needs.

3 minutes ago, Flash said:

Best I can tell, the teams with special considerations (Mets...new, wealthy owner, Rangers...new stadium, Mariners...general malaise) are making aggressive moves. The 'smart money' (Rays, Yankees, Dodgers, Brewers, Red Sox and even the Padres) have been watching from the sidelines. Frankly, I haven't seen one signing where I felt WS should have exceeded the winning bid/contract. My sense is this team will be improved going into '22. At this time, I'm fine watching things unfold, especially when the signed players aren't key targets.   

This is a good post and precisely how I feel. It hurts to see the studs go off the shelf, but there is plenty of time. Even if it doesn’t happen next day or two. Money wise, they’ve all felt somewhat tough to swallow. And no, I’m not paying the salaries before someone asks.

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I will never understand these Conforto takes.  Low batting average, but strong walk rate and has a lot of power.  I guess people still rely on batting average way too much.

I'm a conforto fan but he was bad last year and has always been inconsistent. Really good when he's on though 

13 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Perhaps the Sox should not be overly apprehensive about giving Conforto a year, or two, more than they had planned. Even six years would only take him through his age 34 season. That would not be paying for a player who is way beyond his prime. Given these escalating salaries, maybe the money they have to give a player 6 years from now, might become relatively less than we now think.

I continue to believe that the hole on this current roster is the lack of sufficient offense against RHP. If the Sox can fill that need with Conforto, who plays second base becomes much less important. He could even be a guy who provides good defense and merely not be a black hole at the 9TH spot in the order. Segura would be fine, and if he helps unload Kimbrel, with no more than a one year commitment, I wouldn't complain. Segura actually profiles as a pretty decent hitter for a second baseman, even if $14.25 million is an overpay. 

Conforto alone does not fill the need of insufficient offense vs RHP. 

1 minute ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Conforto alone does not fill the need of insufficient offense vs RHP. 

It helps. Sox are a 2B away from sporting all star team. Yes, definitely righty heavy, but Conforto, Moncada, Grandal and perhaps who ever is at 2B provides balance. Gavin will mix in. Probably won’t be the best offense in the league against RHP, but very very good if healthy. Will, however, still absolutely mash LHP. 

15 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Sounds like Grandal and we all know how this board loves/hates him.  

• Like 1