Athletics 

Phillies

Pirates

Padres

Nationals

Number of top 50 free agents left: 30

People need to chill.

• Like 1

I don't know what thread it was in - but whomever is proposing 6 years on Conforto - no thanks. I already don't like him for 4 years. That is a lot of money/years to give to a guy who has has hit under .260 in 3 of his last 4 seasons and 2 of his last 3. I know he has some power - but beyond that - he is a mediocre athlete and a mediocre defensive player. Those are NOT the type of people you give big long term deals to and be happy about it.

Give big deals to guys with true talent or stay in the 3yr range/buy low on people like Gallo.  There are people I would have given the money/years to - Matz and Ray are two of those people. Gaussman I was more suspect on - but Ray has the stuff that I'll take the chance that he's like Wheeler - arrow pointing up following the changes and you are going to get 3 out of 5 really really good years in that deal and just live with maybe 2 years that aren't there (whether due to injuries or age or whatever).  

Now if Kershaw wants a 1+1 - by all means I go that route and we all know I'm still perfectly opening taking a shot on someone like Rodon - where if it hits - it will hit big and if it doesn't, well you aren't going 5 years (although I could be wrong).  

I do think the Sox completely miscalculated free agency and the market this year or they always knew they weren't going to be in on these guys and had a plan to wait - similar to what some of the other big money teams are doing, but my preference would have been to hedge my bet - buy something now and wait for some more later - because you can't get caught with your pants down with a team as competitive as this one is.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, wegner said:

Sounds like Grandal and we all know how this board loves/hates him.  

But Grandal does it from the catcher spot.  I have a problem with too much of my lineup having these 3 outcome production because I just don't think it works from an overall roster construction perspective. My dream offenses (sans the cheating) are the Astros.  They have lots of good athletes and lots of quality hitters who have quality at bats and can make contact when needed but also hit with authority.  

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

But Grandal does it from the catcher spot.  I have a problem with too much of my lineup having these 3 outcome production because I just don't think it works from an overall roster construction perspective. My dream offenses (sans the cheating) are the Astros.  They have lots of good athletes and lots of quality hitters who have quality at bats and can make contact when needed but also hit with authority.  

Sounds like it would be nice to have a cost controlled 2B who might not have alot of power but makes great contact.

3 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

We still have tomorrow. Optimism in me wants me to believe phillies posturing for kimbrel with that kenebel interest tweet. I hope it gets done, would happily be wrong

They can't deal with Philly unless we sign Conforto first as we could end up screwing ourselves.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

how would we? Would it free up more money for them or something?

Yep. Were basically subsidizing their add on of Kimbrel by taking back high priced trash in Segura. Since they appear to be onto Conforto and also Schwarber from what I just read, this could boomerang on us. 

Maybe that's why they are refusing to pull the trigger and trying to lock down our guys first. 

1 hour ago, hi8is said:

List of teams that have not made any top 50 free agent signings:

Diamondbacks

Braves

Orioles

Red Sox

Cubs

Reds

Indians

Rockies

Royals

Twins

Yankees

Athletics 

Phillies

Pirates

Padres

Nationals

People need to chill.

The problem is most of those teams don't care about 2022. We do.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The problem is most of those teams don't care about 2022. We do.

Technically - Dodgers, Padres, Yankees, Red Sox, Brewers, Nationals, Braves, A's, Phillies are all teams that are contenders or big spenders who have done nothing (A's contenders - although they are losing a ton of people). Cardinals were in same camp and made one move.  

Reality is - Blue Jays/Rangers/Mets/Mariners/Marlins are teams who made a ton of moves, unless I am forgetting something.  

55 minutes ago, fathom said:

Very few trades taking place now and no closers have signed 

Trades will pick up further after the deadline as teams can talk/finalize during the lockout and announce after. They've got plenty of talks in progress. 

Edited by macsandz
  • Thanks 2

The Dodgers and Mets don't give a rats ass about the "Luxury Tax".

You have at least five teams (Yankees, Boston, San Diego, Houston and Anaheim) who have been relatively quiet who likely want to determine what the final "Luxury Tax" threshold and penalties are before signing major contracts..

A half dozen or so teams, including the Sox and Cubs, at minimum paying lip service to field a competitive team, with no intention of broaching the current or any altered Luxury tax. 

The remaining half of the league either had payrolls so low their major increases this offseason still keep them far below any tax threshold (Texas), or having a low payroll with no intention of bumping it significantly higher (Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Baltimore, Oakland, Colorado, Arizona).

1 hour ago, hi8is said:

List of teams that have not made any top 50 free agent signings:

Diamondbacks

Braves

Orioles

Red Sox

Cubs

Reds

Indians

Rockies

Royals

Twins

Yankees

Athletics 

Phillies

Pirates

Padres

Nationals

People need to chill.

5 of those teams have a realistic shot to do anything next year. 4 of those 5 teams are proven big spenders. The only team that is in the same boat as us from that list in terms of no free agency and no big spending is the World Series champion Braves.