2022 Offseason Plan Thread

Chicago White Sox

45 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The problem is most of those teams don't care about 2022. We do.

About half do. I’m just saying that there’s plenty of things left that can be done and just because we’re not being the Texas Rangers with half a billion dollars… we should chill and see where things are in March.

If we’re even playing baseball by then.

3 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Welcome to Soxtalk.

1 minute ago, turnin' two said:

I would guess, and I don't want to put words into anyone's mouth, but I'd guess he is poking fun at people freaking when the guys that were realistic targets (and good fits) are still available.  

Oh I see now. 

1 minute ago, macsandz said:

Couldn't say but it wouldn't surprise me. I'd guess that's about right. 5/90. The guy is coveted by several teams. 

$18 million per year seems about right, in the range of the QO but over a much longer time frame due to his age, LHedness and past results before 2021.

The only question is how many of those teams who haven't yet joined the spending spree desperately need a RFer.

2 hours ago, wegner said:

Sounds like it would be nice to have a cost controlled 2B who might not have alot of power but makes great contact.

Don't look at me - he had his flaws but I wouldn't have traded him for a closer getting paid $16M/yr when you have Liam Hendricks under contract.  

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

I'd feel better about the pen.

Honestly - I am sure Kimbrel bounces back - either in the set-up role or as a closer for another team. So worse case you just pay a lot of money to have him be what they originally hoped he would be (or at least close to it) and you have depth if Hendricks were to get hurt.  It is a horrific use of $16M for a small-to-mid market team but I am sure Kimbrel will produce much better in '22 than he did with the Sox in '21.  

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

$18 million per year seems about right, in the range of the QO but over a much longer time frame due to his age, LHedness and past results before 2021.

The only question is how many of those teams who haven't yet joined the spending spree desperately need a RFer.

I'd guess MIL, TEX, BOS, maybe SF. 

8 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Very direct. I like it. You should ask the same question but in your own words. You may get a different answer. Ha!

Will Conforto poop in the next 24 hours and will we be the ones who provide the toilet paper?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Honestly - I am sure Kimbrel bounces back - either in the set-up role or as a closer for another team. So worse case you just pay a lot of money to have him be what they originally hoped he would be (or at least close to it) and you have depth if Hendricks were to get hurt.  It is a horrific use of $16M for a small-to-mid market team but I am sure Kimbrel will produce much better in '22 than he did with the Sox in '21.  

This might be the most depressing thing I've read the entire off season, and there's frankly a LOT to choose from.

But ESPECIALLY if it were to preclude addressing 2B and/or RF...his lingering presence on the payroll.

9 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Don't look at me - he had his flaws but I wouldn't have traded him for a closer getting paid $16M/yr when you have Liam Hendricks under contract.  

I've been blaming you for far too long....I apologize and will do better.

7 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

If they up the ante to 5 years/$100 million range with an option attached I bet they may be able to get a quicker answer. 

Patience. I really think he’s signing a 1 year deal. Look at all the guys in his mold who have bet on themselves and then got paid almost 10m more in AAV with more years.

Put yourself in the shoes of Conforto… he’s on a down year after being great for 5 of the previous 6 seasons. He’s 28 about to be 29.

Put yourself in the shoes of his agent. We all know he always wants to maximize his clients.

Take 5/100 now and become a free agent again at 34 years old…

Or take a pillow deal… hit the market again at 29 years old and potentially sign for 7/165.

185 > 100.