2022 Offseason Plan Thread

Chicago White Sox

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

He appears to have 2 full years of control remaining, which means for a decent player he won't come as cheap as you want. It doesn't involve Vaughn or Crochet, but it would likely involve a package of players going back since our system doesn't have that many strong players available. That said...good fit if they could make it work.

Or you get a right handed version of him for Kimbrel. Not as cheap or cost controlled but Segura has been a ~4 WAR+ guy (on avg) on a FY basis with exception of 2019.  As long as Sox can pay the money - and it isn't like we are talking about tying up LT payroll, Segura isn't much different.  

3 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

I know many have shitted over a Kimbrel for Segura swap, I'd kill for that at this point.  Very concerned there just might not be any Kimbrel takers out there.  Not for that salary.  Get what you can from that miserable mistake. 

I'd love him gone as well but we are over 4 months away from the danger of him pitching in a White Sox uniform again....I do wonder if we will not be able to shed his whole salary but it's still early.

11 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

I know many have shitted over a Kimbrel for Segura swap, I'd kill for that at this point.  Very concerned there just might not be any Kimbrel takers out there.  Not for that salary.  Get what you can from that miserable mistake. 

💯

19 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Or you get a right handed version of him for Kimbrel. Not as cheap or cost controlled but Segura has been a ~4 WAR+ guy (on avg) on a FY basis with exception of 2019.  As long as Sox can pay the money - and it isn't like we are talking about tying up LT payroll, Segura isn't much different.  

Let's just face it, the Phillies aren't doing any version of that deal that the White Sox are ok with. Either the White Sox need to add in extra players or pay an awful lot of the salary.

10 minutes ago, wegner said:

I'd love him gone as well but we are over 4 months away from the danger of him pitching in a White Sox uniform again....I do wonder if we will not be able to shed his whole salary but it's still early.

But...the White Sox aren't getting back a "valuable starting piece for him".

Just now, Balta1701 said:

But...the White Sox aren't getting back a "valuable starting piece for him".

I thought the Kimbrel trade was vomit inducing bad from the moment it happened, but if you're right about his market being *that* cold, then the Sox might as well keep him. Very few relievers are capable of striking out 40% of guys in a season like Kimbrel just did. The most likely outcome for next season is that he's going to be fine.

With that said, if they can actually get Segura, then do it. Upper minors pitching depth from the Dodgers? Do it. To the Mets for McNeil? Sign me up. I wouldn't be picky, but if you're just dumping him for salary relief that doesn't make any sense to me at all.

9 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

I thought the Kimbrel trade was vomit inducing bad from the moment it happened, but if you're right about his market being *that* cold, then the Sox might as well keep him. Very few relievers are capable of striking out 40% of guys in a season like Kimbrel just did. The most likely outcome for next season is that he's going to be fine.

With that said, if they can actually get Segura, then do it. Upper minors pitching depth from the Dodgers? Do it. To the Mets for McNeil? Sign me up. I wouldn't be picky, but if you're just dumping him for salary relief that doesn't make any sense to me at all.

If the White Sox were truly getting bunches of offers for him, even bad ones that still moved his salary, they would have done it. That's just unavoidable at this point, too much has happened around the league. The White Sox are hoping that the CBA changes things and creates offers - which it might. If a minimum payroll existed, then I'd totally take his entire salary if I was Pittsburgh. If a DH appeared in the NL, you might be able to pull off Kimbrel + Burger for Segura.

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If the White Sox were truly getting bunches of offers for him, even bad ones that still moved his salary, they would have done it. That's just unavoidable at this point, too much has happened around the league. The White Sox are hoping that the CBA changes things and creates offers - which it might. If a minimum payroll existed, then I'd totally take his entire salary if I was Pittsburgh. If a DH appeared in the NL, you might be able to pull off Kimbrel + Burger for Segura.

That would be another 'psychological' defeat to lose yet another Sox first-round pick due to badly miscalculating the market for Kimbrel.

With Collins, Fulmer, Burdi...Rodon likely gone, Madrigal traded, we'd be down to just TA, Crochet and Vaughn after they were crowing (patting themselves on the back, really) about their #1 draft picks all contributing last year with a number of puff pieces.

And who knows how long Vaughn, Crochet and Sheets will be around.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Thanks 1

Just now, caulfield12 said:

That would be another 'psychological' defeat to lose yet another Sox first-round pick due to badly miscalculating the market for Kimbrel.

With Collins, Fulmer, Burdi...Rodon likely gone, Madrigal traded, we'd be down to just TA, Crochet and Vaughn after they were crowing (patting themselves on the back, really) about their draft picks all contributing last year with a number of puff pieces.

And who knows how long Vaughn, Crochet and Sheets will be around.

Literally no one cares about this. I care about the fact that the White Sox currently don't have a 2b candidate on their roster and the fact that they acquired an expensive 8th inning guy who was utterly terrible and then guaranteed him $16 million they can't spend elsewhere, including on that 2b hole. I don't care one iota that they don't have their 1st round pick any more and it isn't a psychological defeat to not have him because he's a first round pick.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Literally no one cares about this. I care about the fact that the White Sox currently don't have a 2b candidate on their roster and the fact that they acquired an expensive 8th inning guy who was utterly terrible and then guaranteed him $16 million they can't spend elsewhere, including on that 2b hole. I don't care one iota that they don't have their 1st round pick any more and it isn't a psychological defeat to not have him because he's a first round pick.

They’ll get a second baseman without packaging Burger with Kimbrel. 😆

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Okay, Hahn and Haber and the front office types and those putting together LinkedIn profiles about scouting/evaluation definitely care about such things.  The media cares, because they spent a number of articles this summer focusing on it, like we had totally turned around our draft and development system because of the emergence of Sheets.

But yeah, there's no mythical championship for having the most "homegrown" players on any given roster.  I guess it's fun for those who obsessively track prospects/farm systems, etc.

Most of 2005's World Series-winning roster were KW imported specials.

Edited by caulfield12