2022 Offseason Plan Thread

Chicago White Sox

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

Say goodbye to the Chris Taylor idea

Not gonna lie, he's a really good player and really good players are always welcome and excellent, but aside from versatility I wasn't so gung-ho about signing a guy whose defense was declining and strikes out 30+% on this team.

But he'll still be good, partially because he's a dodger and they all have a .900 ops.

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

So who are even the 2B options going forward?

FA:  Story?, Solano

Trade:  Segura, Kemp, Marte, McNeil

Josh Harrison, Jed Lowrie, Jose Iglesias, Hanser Alberto. A real murderers row. 

I guess you could go nuts with Andrelton simmons at 2b 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

This doesn’t mean that there won’t be any more additions today. They just didn’t have anymore announcements during the press conference. Lol You have to read the last line to really think about it. However, their probably won’t be anymore moves from them before the lockout but we’ll see.

Edited by maloney.adam

On 11/30/2021 at 9:54 AM, bmags said:

Oh sweet nothin, you ain't got nothin at all

no player november sad roster playlist

Hold Kimbrel
Bundy $9M
Dickerson $7M
Garcia $6M
Kendell Graveman $8M
Trade Dallas Keuchel for Robinson Cano & $2M Annually

Salary $183M

Hahn Quotes:
"To be able to add a Hall of Famer like Robinson cano to our lineup was something we couldn't pass up"
"We feel like with Hendriks, Kimbrel and Graveman, nobody will want to face our bullpen"
"Dickerson gives us good production vs RHP and give us more versatility in our lineup"
"Certainly you may have seen what Leury did in the playoffs and all of last year, we didn't want to let a player like that go"
"Dylan Bundy we have been tracking for a while, and we think can get him back to his 2020 form. No, we didn't get a 2nd year option, and if he's great we will not extend a QO, because that's not how we operate"

You are welcome.

I have a feeling I'm going to nail this offseason.

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

This doesn’t mean that there won’t be any more additions today. They just didn’t have anymore announcements during the press conference. Lol You have to read the last line to really think about it. However, their probably won’t be anymore moves from them before the lockout but we’ll see.

Stick around and I will teach you Hahn-Speak.

2 hours ago, Whisox05 said:

Does Hahn and Co understand he is also allowed to participate in the Free Agent Market?  Doesn't need to be depending on the trade market to get better.   

I rather this guy just be Ryan Pace and just hide for the media.  When he talks, I cringe with his bullshit politician act.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Does Hahn and Co understand he is also allowed to participate in the Free Agent Market?  Doesn't need to be depending on the trade market to get better.   

I rather this guy just be Ryan Pace and just hide for the media.  When he talks, I cringe with his bullshit politician act.  

This point proves money is the issue, more importantly, spending it. We are probably waiting to unload Kimbrel before spending too much new money. The reade market slowed so we couldn't accomplish this. 

7 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

This point proves money is the issue, more importantly, spending it. We are probably waiting to unload Kimbrel before spending too much new money. The reade market slowed so we couldn't accomplish this. 

They are $13 million below the previous luxury tax line, so it is a potential issue.

15 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

I do find it amusing when he talks about the market as if it’s something on the other side of a fence. Like, dude, you’re part of the thing. Put the binoculars down.

Edited by Snopek

On 11/8/2021 at 9:49 PM, Chicago White Sox said:

Alright, I will go first here.  My plan is pretty straight-forward with three primary objectives:

1. Replace Carlos Rodon with the best long-term starting pitching free agent we can afford
  2. Add much needed balance to the lineup while enhancing the defense where possible
  3. Improve the right side of our bullpen while also ensuring we have some starting depth

Second, I'd sign Michael Conforto to a 4/$64M deal to solve RF and add much needed left-handed power to the middle of our lineup.  Almost all of our funds would go to these two moves, but I feel like they address our two biggest needs right off the bat.

As Michael Conforto's biggest fan on these boards, I thought I'd approach you on your thread. [If this has already been covered, I apologize.]

In thinking about the RF position, I think that one area that can be under-appreciated is the defensive side of things. I think that one issue with this team's OF as a whole is that there are too many non-OFers trying to play OF; if you like, too many DH/1B types that this team has playing deep, so as to hide their defensive flaws. [THINK: Sheets/Vaughn/Jimenez, and how these three play "no doubles" deep like, all the time, because they suck at defense.]

So, in turning to Conforto, I noted that fangraphs doesn't THINK MUCH OF HIS DEFENSE. A -10 on DEF means that he gives up 1 full win through his defense alone. To COMPARE HIM TO HIS CONTEMPORARIES, fangraphs has him as being worse defensively than our old friends Nomar Mazara and Adam Eaton since 2019. In fact, the defensive numbers kinda make him look like yet another DH/1B type, only LHH. 

That said, why do we want a guy who looks like another DH/1B type, based on the numbers and projections? A DH/1B type with all of 14 HRs last season, an increasing GB% over the past 3 seasons, and an injury history? 

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

As Michael Conforto's biggest fan on these boards, I thought I'd approach you on your thread. [If this has already been covered, I apologize.]

In thinking about the RF position, I think that one area that can be under-appreciated is the defensive side of things. I think that one issue with the OF as a whole is that there are too many non-OFers trying to play OF; if you like, too many DH/1B types that this team has playing deep, so as to hide their defensive flaws. [THINK: Sheets/Vaughn/Jimenez, and how these three play "no doubles" deep like, all the time, because they suck at defense.]

So, in turning to Conforto, I noted that fangraphs doesn't THINK MUCH OF HIS DEFENSE. A -10 on DEF means that he gives up 1 full win through his defense alone. To COMPARE HIM TO HIS CONTEMPORARIES, fangraphs has him as being worse than our old friends Nomar Mazara and Adam Eaton since 2019. In fact, the defensive numbers kinda make him look like yet another DH/1B type, only LHH. 

That said, why do we want a guy who looks like another DH/1B type, based on the numbers and projections? A DH/1B type with all of 14 HRs last season, and an injury history? 

Thanks in advance.

We’ve discussed Conforto’s LF/RF defense in this thread previously and OAA, DRS, & UZR all had Micheal as an average or better fielder prior to the 2021 season in which he was dealing with a hamstring injury.  As for his health, he basically played full seasons from 2018 to 2020, so not overly concerned there.

Now when you ask why would we want him, it’s as simple as him being elite against RHP, which is our single biggest offensive need.  I don’t see a single player who can solve that need at the potential price point without adding an actual DH in Schwarber.

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

We’ve discussed Conforto’s LF/RF defense in this thread previously and OAA, DRS, & UZR all had Micheal as an average or better fielder prior to the 2021 season in which he was dealing with a hamstring injury.  As for his health, he basically played full seasons from 2018 to 2020, so not overly concerned there.

Now when you ask why would we want him, it’s as simple as him being elite against RHP, which is our single biggest offensive need.  I don’t see a single player who can solve that need at the potential price point without adding an actual DH in Schwarber.

The projections on Conforto's defense don't do him any favors; if this org is going to possibly give the franchise's largest FA contract out, I'd rather not have that even be a question, given that there will already be a DH/1B type in LF. Also, a career .873 OPS vs RHP isn't really "elite," is it? It's very good, no doubt, and would help the offense. But we've already got another 1B/DH in the OF, and that -10 DEF gives me reason to pause.

1 hour ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Can't participate in the FA Market when your boss is too busy Union-busting and conveniently misplaced his check book on November 28th!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

The projections on Conforto's defense don't do him any favors; if this org is going to possibly give the franchise's largest FA contract out, I'd rather not have that even be a question, given that there will already be a DH/1B type in LF. Also, a career .873 OPS vs RHP isn't really "elite," is it? It's very good, no doubt, and would help the offense. But we've already got another 1B/DH in the OF, and that -10 DEF gives me reason to pause.

.873 OPS is pretty close to savage, NGL

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

He had a 143 wRC+ against RHP from 2017 to 2020.  That’s 10th overall amongst all hitters during that time frame, so if that doesn’t count as elite I don’t know what does.

And I’m still not sure what this -10 runs defense you are referring to is.  Again, prior to last season every major defensive metric had him average or better.  Dude is athletic enough to have been used in CF for 1,137 innings over his career.  He is not a 1B/DH because of one bad, injury riddled defensive year.

6 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I mean, if you're gonna give up defense for offense, Schwarber's career OPS v RHP is .903...

That said, I think I'd rather roll dice on Suzuki. 

Schwarber was a platoon bat prior to this season.  And his career numbers against RHP are worse than Conforto’s when park adjusted (i.e. wRC+) and are significantly worse if you back out 2021 (which is an outlier year for both guys).  And their defense is not even remotely comparable.