2022 Offseason Plan Thread

Chicago White Sox

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

1. Based on the “cherry picked” three year period you selected.  

2. Pretty sure that would put his UZR/150 at like -1.2 in RF, which is slightly below average.  But please keep being a walking contradiction whenever is suits you buddy.  

3. Also, not sure what the “Conforto played CF” comment is in regard to, but if you can’t understand the dude has significantly more athleticism than true 1B/DH types like Vaughn & Sheets then god bless you.

4. And I find it fascinating you still don’t get this Kimbrel stuff, but I’ve wasted too much time on that argument.  You are so angry about that trade and incapable at peeling the onion without somehow thinking it’s “cherry picking” that my point will never click with you.

1. Sure: he was -16.8 in DEF over that 3 year period, which is decidedly not "slightly below average."

2. Funny that your tout UZR/150, & not DEF. Why cherry pick one over the other? Why attack me, as opposed to the data?

3. Sorry you can't even remember YOUR OWN post, but here, I'll chop down your vomit pile of text, and quote it below. 

4. Yes, you cherry picked Kimbrel being good for "54% of his innings pitched." You slice/dice, and cherry pick all the time.

5 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Dude is athletic enough to have been used in CF for 1,137 innings over his career. 

• Love 1

On 12/1/2021 at 8:54 PM, ThatBallHitDeep_WAYBack said:

Still on the table is…?  Looking at present availability in the market and Sox needs.

2B - Story signing (Long Shot).  Ketel Marte (Ideal Scenario) or Nick Solak (This would be a Sox move to buy low on a former 2nd Rounder) trade.  

RF - Castellanos or Conforto.  Long Shot Bryant.

Relief - Tepera.

SP - Knowing Sox, they will take a flyer on an innings eater, if anyone.  Otherwise, trade with Oakland. 

RE MC - If the Sox are a perfect fit for Conforto, why hasn’t he signed yet?  Doesn’t add up to me.

I have a feeling we're not going to do much on the SP front until the deadline.  They've been on the sidelines for a lot of relatively affordable SP free agents that would have been good fits, and I think they've moved on from Rodon for reasons I've explained before.  Not ideal *but* I'm OK with it if they address it at the deadline.  I think our real need is for a playoff starter and that our current rotation can propel us within the Central, especially if it's only for half a season.

Edited by 35thstreetswarm

Too Legit to Quit.

Now that he faced the tough grind of his first MLB season, took two months to get acclimated before turning in an elite performance as a 23 year old, before succumbing to the grind and some late season injuries. Outside of Robert and perhaps Kopech, Vaughn is the guy I want the Sox to keep the most among their core.

Vaughn_splits.jpg

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Too Legit to Quit.

Now that he faced the tough grind of his first MLB season, took two months to get acclimated before turning in an elite performance as a 23 year old, before succumbing to the grind and some late season injuries. Outside of Robert and perhaps Kopech, Vaughn is the guy I want the Sox to keep the most among their core.

Vaughn_splits.jpg

That two month span he was our best hitter.  All while play (admirably) a position he hadn't played since grade school.  Kid is legit AF.  I will be sooooooo pissed if we trade him. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, hi8is said:

Schwarber is seeking 3 years / 60 million. I’m pretty surprised that’s what he’s reportedly looking for.

https://fansided.com/2021/12/02/mlb-rumors-kyle-schwarber-contract-demands/amp/

Jesse Rogers, who I’m sure knows how to find out stuff from Schwarber, made it sound yesterday like the WSox haven’t expressed much interest in him so far

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

Jesse Rogers, who I’m sure knows how to find out stuff from Schwarber, made it sound yesterday like the WSox haven’t expressed much interest in him so far

I like Schwarber a lot, but if the plan is to play him in RF, it's just not gonna work. Eloy in LF is already a problem, flanking Robert with another statue in RF is gonna kill our OF defense. He would be great to have as a bat, but we already have enough DHs on the roster.

35 minutes ago, KipWellsFan said:

That Andrew Vaughn article is must-read material for Soxtalkers. Thanks for sharing.

It also gives me a bit of pause about spending large sums on a player like Conforto. But that's just me!

I feel like people forgot very quickly that the guy was playing in the big leagues at a stage of his career when most prospects would have been in Birmingham...and then asked to learn a new position!  The dude was thrown into the deep end with an anchor tied around him and still held his own.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I feel like people forgot very quickly that the guy was playing in the big leagues at a stage of his career when most prospects would have been in Birmingham...and then asked to learn a new position!  The dude was thrown into the deep end with an anchor tied around him and still held his own.  

Probably also a good time to remind folks that Tim Anderson had two crappy seasons before becoming a star.

Edited by KipWellsFan

It kind of seems like the Sox really didnt' talk to many free agents, maybe just some smaller fish. I have to presume since they keep saying they plan on making the roster better - this had more to do with wanting to wait until post CBA than pre CBA to make bigger moves. A Graveerman deal - no biggie, they can live with it as is - but a big $100M contract, they don't want to take that type of swing without more clarity.

Or at least the optimist in me is going to use that and stick to the story :)

2 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Oh I haven’t forgotten that at all. I also don’t know how they can come up with a RH, 2B, left handed balance, and starting pitching help without the luxury tax going up and him starting the season as a bench player or part time DH, unless they use him in a trade.

3 hours ago, KipWellsFan said:

Probably also a good time to remind folks that Tim Anderson had two crappy seasons before becoming a star.

Tim Anderson wasn't drafted as a 1B and shoehorned into SS. Vaughn is going to be a very good player... but at 1B, maybe LF. They need to keep him out of RF though if they plan on keeping Eloy in LF.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fathom said:

Lot of Boston rumors that Schwarber would go back to Boston. I don't know if maybe he is holding out w hope of being a DH in NL and increase his negotiation ability.   

25 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Lot of Boston rumors that Schwarber would go back to Boston. I don't know if maybe he is holding out w hope of being a DH in NL and increase his negotiation ability.   

I would imagine that is 100% true. I sure wouldn't have signed if I were him. 

8 hours ago, fathom said:

Thanks for that tidbit