2022 Offseason Plan Thread

Chicago White Sox

4 hours ago, almagest said:

No way on Gurriel for Vaughn, but maybe Kimbrel + Burger?

Gurriel adds some depth to RF, but I don't think it's clear he's an upgrade over what the Sox have now so giving up 2 players of consequence for him doesn't make much sense to me.

Gurriel is a 2 war/150 games guy in his career. I think that's a reasonable expectation for what you'd get from a Vaughn/Sheets/Engel trio in RF. Obliviously that isn't good enough, I think everyone on here agrees the Sox need to be aggressive in making a consequential addition in RF, but Gurriel isn't that. If they want to add an averageish player, why not just sign a guy like Joc who fits the roster better and only costs a modest contract in free agency?

25 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Gurriel adds some depth to RF, but I don't think it's clear he's an upgrade over what the Sox have now so giving up 2 players of consequence for him doesn't make much sense to me.

Gurriel is a 2 war/150 games guy in his career. I think that's a reasonable expectation for what you'd get from a Vaughn/Sheets/Engel trio in RF. Obliviously that isn't good enough, I think everyone on here agrees the Sox need to be aggressive in making a consequential addition in RF, but Gurriel isn't that. If they want to add an averageish player, why not just sign a guy like Joc who fits the roster better and only costs a modest contract in free agency?

I still prefer using Vaughn/Sheets/Engel in RF with Vaughn & Sheets getting some time at DH and PH.  Use what money we have at 2nd base, backup catcher, and pitching.  We want to use the DH for Grandal's, Eloy's, and Abreu's off days from their regular duties.  We have an overstock of DH types and need to use Vaughn and Sheets in a creative way.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pal said:

Way, way too early in the offseason but had a few cocktails...my betting right now would be Conforto and Segura in RF and 2nd and Vaughn has played his last game for us. Hopefully a stud Starter is had for Vaughn. Maybe out of Miami. Again, very early.

I would HATE Pablo Lopez for Vaughn.  An interesting idea (idk how much i'd really think about it), would be a Luzardo + someone useful.  However, looking, I don't see anyone on that roster that I'd want loll

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I would HATE Pablo Lopez for Vaughn.  An interesting idea (idk how much i'd really think about it), would be a Luzardo + someone useful.  However, looking, I don't see anyone on that roster that I'd want loll

Lopez is way better than Luzardo.  My bigger concern is if he’s healthy or not given how he ended last year.

Edited by fathom
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Pal said:

Lordes Gurriel could be had for at least a season now. Toronto would jump all over him for Vaughn.

I think I just threw up. Why is everyone in a hurry to trade Vaughn?  Please baby Jesus, tell me this isn't the plan. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Yes or No.

Do you think we make a signing (greater than 50 million) before the 12/1 deadline.  @Y2Jimmy0 @Harold's Leg Lift @Pal @wsd

I think they'll make a couple moves before Dec 1 but I'm not sure it's going to be for a big money guy.  This is me connecting some dots on things I've heard but it seems (seems) like teams want to sign players before Dec 1 but the players want to wait it out and see what the new CBA looks like.  I would be a little surprised if they signed a big money guy before Dec 1 but I probably shouldn't be beacuse this is such a crazy off season. I guess that's a long winded way to say who F'ing knows.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, fathom said:

Reports out today that Baltimore is listening on John Means. Vaughn as a center piece makes a lot of sense.

I’m not sure about Means but have always loved what I see in his starts. This his next step will be limiting homers and once that happens he’d be looking at elite stuff.

Great guy to dream on.

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I think they'll make a couple moves before Dec 1 but I'm not sure it's going to be for a big money guy.  This is me connecting some dots on things I've heard but it seems (seems) like teams want to sign players before Dec 1 but the players want to wait it out and see what the new CBA looks like.  I would be a little surprised if they signed a big money guy before Dec 1 but I probably shouldn't be beacuse this is such a crazy off season. I guess that's a long winded way to say who F'ing knows.  

So you’re saying they will sign Max for 49 million in the next week!!!

• Like 1

Just now, hi8is said:

I’m not sure about Means but have always loved what I see in his starts. This his next step will be limiting homers and once that happens he’d be looking at elite stuff.

Great guy to dream on.

He’d also benefit from pitching against lesser competition

Edited by fathom