Jump to content
Chicago White Sox

2022 Offseason Plan Thread

Recommended Posts

39 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I have no idea. Probably depends on Scott Boras. Trading Andrew Vaughn will be a mistake though and they shouldn't do it. 

THANK YOU JIMMY (insert Michael Scott gif)!  

Jimmy - is Vaughn even available, or can I rest easy that all these proposals involving him are meatball takes? All of AV, Eloy, Abreu and Grandal can co-exist on this roster.  We just need to sign good baseball players that fill team needs in RF and 2B.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, fathom said:

Reports out today that Baltimore is listening on John Means. Vaughn as a center piece makes a lot of sense.

Stopppp

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think I just threw up. Why is everyone in a hurry to trade Vaughn?  Please baby Jesus, tell me this isn't the plan. 

I think there are two separate thoughts there that have been intertwined.  I wouldn’t worry about us selling Vaughn for something like that.  Would have to be for a star of some sorts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

THANK YOU JIMMY (insert Michael Scott gif)!  

Jimmy - is Vaughn even available, or can I rest easy that all these proposals involving him are meatball takes? All of AV, Eloy, Abreu and Grandal can co-exist on this roster.  We just need to sign good baseball players that fill team needs in RF and 2B.  

Why is 5 years of Andrew Vaughn plus other prospects for three years of Ketel Marte at $30M a “meatball” take?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, fathom said:

So you’re saying they will sign Max for 49 million in the next week!!!

I was told Max is in no hurry to make a decision so yeah expect him to sign any day now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Why is 5 years of Andrew Vaughn plus other prospects for three years of Ketel Marte at $30M a “meatball” take?

Yeah I don't think anyone here is saying to just give him away for nothing (although I would hate it if he went for Means personally).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think I just threw up. Why is everyone in a hurry to trade Vaughn?  Please baby Jesus, tell me this isn't the plan. 

If they are going to trade Vaughn then now is the time to do it. If he has another mediocre season his value will become non existent on the trade market. If you believe in Vaughn you don't trade him because that bat can be special. If you are offered a superstar with a few years remaining on their deal, you consider it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why is 5 years of Andrew Vaughn plus other prospects for three years of Ketel Marte at $30M a “meatball” take?

First off - I didn't see Ketel Marte's name mentioned in the last few pages that I just read.  That makes some sense from the Sox perspective.

Was moreso referring to the Pablo Lopez, John Means, Lourdes Guerriel level takes

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

John Means for Vaughn huh 🤮

Screen Shot 2021-11-23 at 9.38.24 AM.png

would much rather keep vaughn and try and keep working on Lopez. This looks like a Quintana trade and we aren't the sox end.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I was told Max is in no hurry to make a decision so yeah expect him to sign any day now. 

Have the White Sox yet made a map showing how close Glendale Arizona is to California? It's basically like playing there full time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Stopppp

I don’t want them to trade him, but just throwing out possibilities if they do.  I’d rather just put him in LF, DH Eloy and go from there 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

If they are going to trade Vaughn then now is the time to do it. If he has another mediocre season his value will become non existent on the trade market. If you believe in Vaughn you don't trade him because that bat can be special. If you are offered a superstar with a few years remaining on their deal, you consider it. 

And if he has a season of sustained success in 22 - which he is certainly capable of doing - while continuing to show average defense in LF, he's likely worth more than he is today.  AV was solid, but didn't exactly light the world on fire in his rookie campaign.  I don't think his value is at its highest by any means.  The guy went from high A to the big leagues all while learning a position he hadn't played since little league - he's going to improve immensely in 22. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Have the White Sox yet made a map showing how close Glendale Arizona is to California? It's basically like playing there full time.

I mean it's the same training facility as the Dodgers so they have that going for them. Which is nice.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I have no idea. Probably depends on Scott Boras. Trading Andrew Vaughn will be a mistake though and they shouldn't do it. 

The same thing was said last year when there was all the speculation about trading for Corbin Burnes. That rumor was real but the Sox didn't make Vaughn , Kopech or Crochet available even though Burnes fit the window better since he already had MLB innings under his belt and it was a fair assumption that he was capable of close to 150 IP based on the previous years workloads.

But no one wanted to trade them  .Only a few were bold enough to accept the scorn of Soxtalk by suggesting trading any of those guys for Burnes. I suggested Vaughn and Crochet .

End result was we missed out of the NL Cy Young winner and a possible Championship. Also a package eerily similar to what was supposedly offered for Burnes was used to trade for Kimbrel and Hernandez neither of whom should be playing for the Sox in 2022. The Sox will probably end up with very little for trading Madrigal, Heuer and Pilkington except for making the Sox worse rather than having an excellent shot at the World Series. Burnes only got a chance to pitch 1 game in the playoffs, 6 scoreless innings in a win against eventual World Series Champ Atlanta Braves who actually improved their team with trades at the deadline.

The Sox are now in the same position as last year. Sure Vaughn , Kopech and Crochet are still here and 1 year closer to reaching their full potential but neither one is a lock for immediate success. In case anyone hasn't noticed but the window is wide open now , as it was last year.

All that being said I don't want them to trade for anyone if the trade deadline results are what to expect.

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

If they are going to trade Vaughn then now is the time to do it. If he has another mediocre season his value will become non existent on the trade market. If you believe in Vaughn you don't trade him because that bat can be special. If you are offered a superstar with a few years remaining on their deal, you consider it. 

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Don't ever give up!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The same thing was said last year when there was all the speculation about trading for Corbin Burnes. That rumor was real but the Sox didn't make Vaughn , Kopech or Crochet available even though Burnes fit the window better since he already had MLB innings under his belt and it was a fair assumption that he was capable of close to 150 IP based on the previous years workloads.

But no one wanted to trade them  .Only a few were bold enough to accept the scorn of Soxtalk by suggesting trading any of those guys for Burnes. I suggested Vaughn and Crochet .

End result was we missed out of the NL Cy Young winner and a possible Championship. Also a package eerily similar to what was supposedly offered for Burnes was used to trade for Kimbrel and Hernandez neither of whom should be playing for the Sox in 2022. The Sox will probably end up with very little for trading Madrigal, Heuer and Pilkington except for making the Sox worse rather than having an excellent shot at the World Series. Burnes only got a chance to pitch 1 game in the playoffs, 6 scoreless innings in a win against eventual World Series Champ Atlanta Braves who actually improved their team with trades at the deadline.

The Sox are now in the same position as last year. Sure Vaughn , Kopech and Crochet are still here and 1 year closer to reaching their full potential but neither one is a lock for immediate success. In case anyone hasn't noticed but the window is wide open now , as it was last year.

All that being said I don't want them to trade for anyone if the trade deadline results are what to expect.

 

Post of the year.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The same thing was said last year when there was all the speculation about trading for Corbin Burnes. That rumor was real but the Sox didn't make Vaughn , Kopech or Crochet available even though Burnes fit the window better since he already had MLB innings under his belt and it was a fair assumption that he was capable of close to 150 IP based on the previous years workloads.

But no one wanted to trade them  .Only a few were bold enough to accept the scorn of Soxtalk by suggesting trading any of those guys for Burnes. I suggested Vaughn and Crochet .

End result was we missed out of the NL Cy Young winner and a possible Championship. Also a package eerily similar to what was supposedly offered for Burnes was used to trade for Kimbrel and Hernandez neither of whom should be playing for the Sox in 2022. The Sox will probably end up with very little for trading Madrigal, Heuer and Pilkington except for making the Sox worse rather than having an excellent shot at the World Series. Burnes only got a chance to pitch 1 game in the playoffs, 6 scoreless innings in a win against eventual World Series Champ Atlanta Braves who actually improved their team with trades at the deadline.

The Sox are now in the same position as last year. Sure Vaughn , Kopech and Crochet are still here and 1 year closer to reaching their full potential but neither one is a lock for immediate success. In case anyone hasn't noticed but the window is wide open now , as it was last year.

All that being said I don't want them to trade for anyone if the trade deadline results are what to expect.

 

I was under the impression most people were fine with Madrigal ++ or Crochet ++ but not Vaughn/Kopech. Now would I have done Madrigal + Crochet?  I don't remember.  Hindsight makes it hard to remember.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

 

giphy.gif

Gif of the year.

Along with the perviously declared post of the year… we can now close this board @Chisoxfn.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Getting old makes it hard to remember.

Edited for truth.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The same thing was said last year when there was all the speculation about trading for Corbin Burnes. That rumor was real but the Sox didn't make Vaughn , Kopech or Crochet available even though Burnes fit the window better since he already had MLB innings under his belt and it was a fair assumption that he was capable of close to 150 IP based on the previous years workloads.

But no one wanted to trade them  .Only a few were bold enough to accept the scorn of Soxtalk by suggesting trading any of those guys for Burnes. I suggested Vaughn and Crochet .

End result was we missed out of the NL Cy Young winner and a possible Championship. Also a package eerily similar to what was supposedly offered for Burnes was used to trade for Kimbrel and Hernandez neither of whom should be playing for the Sox in 2022. The Sox will probably end up with very little for trading Madrigal, Heuer and Pilkington except for making the Sox worse rather than having an excellent shot at the World Series. Burnes only got a chance to pitch 1 game in the playoffs, 6 scoreless innings in a win against eventual World Series Champ Atlanta Braves who actually improved their team with trades at the deadline.

The Sox are now in the same position as last year. Sure Vaughn , Kopech and Crochet are still here and 1 year closer to reaching their full potential but neither one is a lock for immediate success. In case anyone hasn't noticed but the window is wide open now , as it was last year.

All that being said I don't want them to trade for anyone if the trade deadline results are what to expect.

 

Where was it stated the rumor was real? Why would the Brewers trade Burnes last offseason? It made no sense. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was thinking about it, I thought maybe Escobar and Romy could make a platoon (give Escobar some more rest). Then I looked it up and realized Escobar has actually been better against lefties than righties throughout his career to the point where I am actually questioning the fit.

Edit: and looking at the free agent list, I feel like they will make a trade to fill 2B (with the possibility of Hernandez coming back at a cheaper price *gulps*).

Edited by Bob Sacamano

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Where was it stated the rumor was real? Why would the Brewers trade Burnes last offseason? It made no sense. 

Re-read the thread , you'll see. It's in there somewhere. I think James Fox said it had legs. Sure it made no sense if the Sox didn't offer enough. There's no guarantee Milwaukee would've traded Burnes even if offered a better package but if Madrigal , Heuer + was the best the Sox could do then it was never going to happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Re-read the thread , you'll see. It's in there somewhere. I think James Fox said it had legs. Sure it made no sense if the Sox didn't offer enough. There's no guarantee Milwaukee would've traded Burnes even if offered a better package but if Madrigal , Heuer + was the best the Sox could do then it was never going to happen.

The White Sox may have wanted him, but unless they overpaid dearly, they weren't going to get him. The Sox would have probably had to offer more than they got for Sale. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

The White Sox may have wanted him, but unless they overpaid dearly, they weren't going to get him. The Sox would have probably had to offer more than they got for Sale. 

Who knows, I mean if Vaughn and Crochet + got it done is that better than what the Sox got for Sale? I guess we will find out in another 5+ years or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×