2022 Offseason Plan Thread

Chicago White Sox

28 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I agree, I think they maybe they need to start signing some lesser players that can still contribute and than start trading some players than can bring back a very good return. The FA market right now is just crazy with all these dollar numbers flying around. 

All the corners outfielder types are still available, so why are we settling right now?

3 minutes ago, 102605 said:

Time to /endthread 

There is no plan.

Oh…. There’s a plan. And a Plan B and a Plan C and a Plan D and a Plan E…

We’re probably somewhere around Plan B right now if not still on A.

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Lol.  The numbers where Conforto has a 136 wRC+ against RHP in his career in 2,187 PA. Look, Gavin was very good against RHP in a very small sample.  I am not suggesting we dump him - he has a spot on this roster, and would be a great injury fill in.  But he has zero defensive value whatsoever, and is a DH only.  Nice guy to have around?  Yes.  Our long term solution in RF, or a reason to pass on quite literally the best realistic fit for team needs?  Absolutely not.  

I just don't believe Conforto is the dude you think he is.  He's a platoon player that has career Adam Eaton numbers vs LHP, not the kind of guy you give the first $100M deal to in franchise history.  I've never contended that Sheets is the long term answer in RF, I contend that you can fix RF for next season without overpaying for Conforto.  If you can get Conforto on a short term deal then go for it, long term terrifies me. 

Edited by JoeCredeYes
Adam Eaton numbers vs LHP*

Just now, JoeCredeYes said:

I just don't believe Conforto is the dude you think he is.  He's a platoon player that has career Adam Eaton numbers vs RHP, not the kind of guy you give the first $!00M deal to in franchise history.  I've never contended that Sheets is the long term answer in RF, I contend that you can fix RF for next season without overpaying for Conforto.  If you can get Conforto on a short term deal then go for it, long term terrifies me. 

Adam Eaton numbers?  What the fuck are you talking about?  He was one of the best hitters in baseball against RHP from 2017 to 2020.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I agree, I think they maybe they need to start signing some lesser players that can still contribute and than start trading some players than can bring back a very good return. The FA market right now is just crazy with all these dollar numbers flying around. 

What? You want them just to sign guys for the sake of signing them? And trading better players from our roster?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JoeCredeYes said:

I just don't believe Conforto is the dude you think he is.  He's a platoon player that has career Adam Eaton numbers vs LHP, not the kind of guy you give the first $100M deal to in franchise history.  I've never contended that Sheets is the long term answer in RF, I contend that you can fix RF for next season without overpaying for Conforto.  If you can get Conforto on a short term deal then go for it, long term terrifies me. 

The Sox suck against RHP. We need LH batters.  Generally left handed batters are not as good against LHP. Conforto is 36% above average against RHP across over 2,000 PA.  He's a great hitter against RHP, a clear team need.

I don't want to give Conforto $100M either.  I think 4/$70M is my bid, and I'd stretch a bit above that to make it happen.  Maybe he gets 5/$100M.  He certainly would have if he had a better 2021, which is why I think there a possibility of getting him at what ends up being a bargain. 

You were just advocating for Joc Pederson. Not only does he suck against LHP (68 wRC+) in his career, but he is also a clear step down from Conforto against RHP (123 wRC+) and is a wrose defender. Just for those keeping score, Conforto wRC+ against LHP is 94. At least be consistent. 

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

The Sox suck against RHP. We need LH batters.  Generally left handed batters are not as good against LHP. Conforto is 36% above average against RHP across over 2,000 PA.  He's a great hitter against RHP, a clear team need.

I don't want to give Conforto $100M either.  I think 4/$70M is my bid, and I'd stretch a bit above that to make it happen.  Maybe he gets 5/$100M.  He certainly would have if he had a better 2021, which is why I think there a possibility of getting him at what ends up being a bargain. 

You were just advocating for Joc Pederson. Not only does he suck against LHP (68 wRC+) in his career, but he is also a clear step down from Conforto against RHP (123 wRC+) and is a wrose defender. Just for those keeping score, Conforto wRC+ against LHP is 94. At least be consistent. 

You wouldn’t go 5/$100M for Conforto if push came to shove?

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

You wouldn’t go 5/$100M for Conforto if push came to shove?

Probably would.  Wouldnt like it near as much.  

The answer is a resounding yes if you could tell me it wouldn't impact future endeavors, but we all know that isn't the case. 

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Right, I'm advocating for Joc because I don't think Conforto is realistic or in the Sox plans and I think you can get his production for way cheaper, that's been my point all day.  I think we're in clear agreement here on the needs and an improved RF defender would be great.  I'm wearing my Rick Hahn hat here searching for ways to improve this team without spending in what appears to be a wild FA market. 

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

I'm willing to bet that the Sox will not. 

Then the Sox aren’t very serious about going all in IMO.  If you’re afraid to overpay for your guy in free agency, you aren’t going to land a lot of impact talent, especially when our farm system might just be the worst in baseball.

• Like 1

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Then the Sox aren’t very serious about going all in IMO.  If you’re afraid to overpay for your guy in free agency, you aren’t going to land a lot of impact talent, especially when our farm system might just be the worst in baseball.

I still think our ceiling is 4 years and $80 million.