2022 Offseason Plan Thread

Chicago White Sox

2 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Yeah it's pretty bad. I'm just aiming for defense at that position now. And honestly might as well have just signed Yolmer to a minor league deal for depth.

I'd say Romy + Yolbert Sanchez should provide similar depth with higher upside. Sanchez is not Yolmer level but you may as well find out.

BUt yes, there is no reason to sacrifice defense at 2b to stretch for slightly above average offense in Villar.

We'll see what happens.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I have a feeling Greinke is going to be a fantastic get for someone. In one of those MLBTR chats, the writer pointed out that 3 of his last 4 starts of the season really hurt his stats. I feel like a rebuilding team should offer a one or 2 year high AAV deal and look to flip him. Probably wants a contender though.

Would make sense for the Tigers honestly.

I would love him in our rotation as an innings eater alone, but the guy wasn't exactly a Sox fan back in the day.  Not sure what EXACTLY his issue was, but I wouldn't count on it.

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

I'd say Romy + Yolbert Sanchez should provide similar depth with higher upside. Sanchez is not Yolmer level but you may as well find out.

BUt yes, there is no reason to sacrifice defense at 2b to stretch for slightly above average offense in Villar.

We'll see what happens.

I read an article last week about how Brad Miller is a forgotten about free agent. Doesn't really have an every day position and can't hit lefties but looking at his stats, he looked like he was decent at 2B. Could probably platoon him and Leury if you actually want someone who can hit (39 bombs over his last 678 plate appearances). But definitely don't play him against lefties haha

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

We'll see what happens.

Defense at 2B should be the priority there with the offense already in the starting lineup.  Should not be difficult to fill, and no reason to get cute with it either.

16 minutes ago, bmags said:

I am now mostly just rooting against Villar.

Out of curiosity, why not Villar?

I wasn't aware of anything that should preclude him from consideration. Especially in a vortex of shit that is the  current 2B FA market. (Yeah, Madrigal at the league minimum would look pretty good right now.)

2 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Out of curiosity, why not Villar?

I wasn't aware of anything that should preclude him from consideration. Especially in a vortex of shit that is the  current 2B FA market. (Yeah, Madrigal at the league minimum would look pretty good right now.)

Bad defensively.

6 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I read an article last week about how Brad Miller is a forgotten about free agent. Doesn't really have an every day position and can't hit lefties but looking at his stats, he looked like he was decent at 2B. Could probably platoon him and Leury if you actually want someone who can hit (39 bombs over his last 678 plate appearances). But definitely don't play him against lefties haha

That should work out fine.  Leury hits lefties much better than righties anyway.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I really worry about his defense there. He's a nice bench piece, but when he was placed full time at 2b in 2017 he was awful there and I think his neutral numbers since is just a factor of being played there sparsely. I don't feel like Philly is putting him at 1b and corner outfield all last year if he was really showing more range up the middle.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

I really worry about his defense there. He's a nice bench piece, but when he was placed full time at 2b in 2017 he was awful there and I think his neutral numbers since is just a factor of being played there sparsely. I don't feel like Philly is putting him at 1b and corner outfield all last year if he was really showing more range up the middle.

I'm open to a ton of possibilities at 2B as long as they lock up a real RF and not someone like Joc Pederson haha if that happens then I'd lean more offense at 2B.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

8 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Our favorite fake insider is back and has been reading this thread for ideas:

"Thank you, sir, may I have another?"

The friendly As again. Of course.  They gladly let us rebuild them again.  And the As won't want our low minor guys as centerpieces for one of these rents.  They don't rebuild from the nub.  They will want someone like  Sheets+ for a rent-a-pitcher.   Sox can just sign Conforto, and problems solved.  Until Sheets outhits Conforto....

Edited by GreenSox

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Considering it was a 60-game season Jonathan Villar may have had the worst defensive season in history in 2020

He's not good. Only sample size can cover up his defense.

villar.jpg

villar2.jpg

Yeah, I saw that. I was more worried that Villar's a raging @sshole that would fuck up the clubhouse.

That said, why the huge disparity between UZR and DRS? One has him as being horrific with the glove, the other has him as merely mediocre. And, to your point, 2020 was a bit of an outlier as well.

In any case, its not like there's a cavalcade of ideal options available for 2B. I sure as fuck dont want RH/KW to make a trade, because they'll fuck it up. No matter WHO they get, I think we'll all still be disappointed. 

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

I would love him in our rotation as an innings eater alone, but the guy wasn't exactly a Sox fan back in the day.  Not sure what EXACTLY his issue was, but I wouldn't count on it.

He didn’t like the dark colors of our stadium. This is not a joke.

Was researching Andrew Vaughn, trying to prepare a case that everyone penciling him into the OF was wrong... and just because he made the routine plays last season that we were playing with fire....  

And I've discovered that he touched 89 mph in high school.  89.

How the hell did he get stuck at 1B being like 5'10?  That HAD to be terrible for his marketability right?  If I'm a scout and I see that a kid is a short first basemen I just assume there is nowhere on the field for him.  I'd bet the house that he didn't get a ton of money his freshman year from Cal.   Who decided he couldn't play 3B?  Who didn't give the kid a shot in the OF?  Like seriously, he is lucky as hell to have survived.  This stupidity had the making of hard luck story where he had to mash for years at a D2 before getting drafted in the 30th round.

Then what happened at Cal that he stayed at 1B?   

To be honest, I have no clue what to think now.  I guess lets see him in the OF again lol. 

6 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

If the White Sox sign Conforto and Tepera and trade for Chris Bassitt, I don’t care who plays second base. 

I've been very negative about offseasons and trade deadlines in the past, but ill go on record saying if this is the outcome this offseason - then its a good offseason.

There's definitionly others I prefer... but I have np with Conforto/Bassit/Tepera.