2022 Offseason Plan Thread

Chicago White Sox

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

If the White Sox sign Conforto and Tepera and trade for Chris Bassitt, I don’t care who plays second base. 

Indeed...and they could prolly get that LHH 2B from OAK for cheap too who did well last year (name escapes me) and platoon him with Leury at 2B. 

3 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I've been very negative about offseasons and trade deadlines in the past, but ill go on record saying if this is the outcome this offseason - then its a good offseason.

There's definitionly others I prefer... but I have np with Conforto/Bassit/Tepera.

I think this would be a good offseason as well. Who would you prefer in lieu of Conforto/Bassitt/Tepera?

47 minutes ago, fathom said:

If it’s a significantly shorter season, then I think it blows up a lot of possible trades.  Also makes manipulating DK’s innings harder (despite threshold being lowered)

Do you think with a shorter season...are we more or less likely to trade Kimbrel?

12 hours ago, fathom said:

Trade..he doesn’t want to pitch the 8th no matter what

I do think it helps because he’s paid more than his worth by about $4 million, but if the season is 60 games long, he’s only overpaid by $1.3 million.

48 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

No way. Lynn got a top 100 prospect. Bassitt has only pitched more than 150 innings once in his career.  

Yeah, and Bassitt is also 33 years old.

I'm already against this front office making any trades, apart from performing the desperately needed Kimbrelectomy.

But given that the rotation already has Lynn and Keuchel in it, and Kopech will have an IP limit, I'd rather not have another older SP, unless he comes with a WS or CY pedigree. Also, I'd really rather not throw the last bits of trade assets on a fire to get a pre-injured player we probably won't re-sign.

16 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Here’s one. Imagine this goes until June. Does that substantially increase the chances of Conforto taking a 1 year deal? I think that could be a result.

That could be.

But I also think that if he were to accept a pillow contract, why wouldn't he just re-sign w/NYM?

Why add the additional variable of trying to adjust to a new team/clubhouse/city, and in our case, league?

If he's wanting to rebuild his value with a 1 year deal, AND no pick attached to his signature, I'm guessing that NYM would be the lowest bar to leap over, in his case. 

• Like 1

Just now, Two-Gun Pete said:

That could be.

But I also think that if he were to accept a pillow contract, why wouldn't he just re-sign w/NYM?

Why add the additional variable of trying to adjust to a new team/clubhouse/city, and in our case, league?

If he's wanting to rebuild his value with a 1 year deal, AND no pick attached to his signature, I'm guessing that NYM would be the lowest bar to leap over, in his case. 

I shared some Showalter talk a week or so ago where he said they’ve talked about adding another OF on the Mets, so yeah that seems like a plausible option. I was thinking more about proving last year was a fluke for Conforto but clearing the QO could be important too if there’s still a penalty attached.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I shared some Showalter talk a week or so ago where he said they’ve talked about adding another OF on the Mets, so yeah that seems like a plausible option. I was thinking more about proving last year was a fluke for Conforto but clearing the QO could be important too if there’s still a penalty attached.

I also read that Conforto admitted that he should have taken the QO. Showalter running his piehole suggests to me that either:

A. They didn't expect Conforto to reject the QO, and/or

B. NYM's plans have always included retaining Conforto 

So, while not final by any means, I think there is still some interest on both the part of the player and the club. Add into the fact that the last 2 major FAs to reject QOs (Keuchel and Kimbrel) were repped by Boras, and ended up waiting until mid-season to sign, and I'd have to believe that Conforto would have to consider that.

We'll have to see. 

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I think they're just discussing why he didn't take the QO if he was just going to take a 1 year deal. Obviously, he's not a fit anymore for them.

I don’t know how serious they were but he said this publicly and specifically said “if” Conforto leaves.

2 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Maybe? 

Who's their DH?

They still owe Cano $48M over the next two years and have a few guys like JD Davis & Dom Smith who can rotate through there.  I’d be pretty surprised if they signed a $20M AAV OF, but you never know with Cohen at helm.

Edited by Chicago White Sox