Sox to talk about Semien with Boras

DirtySox

If Semien is the Sox #1 free agent target, improving RF with another big addition [lefty bat] should be the next item of business via trade. The Sox should look at this offseason thinking they have a two year window to win a World Series. [While they have Grandal, Jose still playing well, Lynn and Hendriks]. The Sox would still have talent to be playoff competitive past the next two years. But some risky moves should be made that make some big improvements over the 2021 Sox.

Right now, TA and Robert are the two most irreplaceable Sox-Grandal is a close 3rd. Semien for 2b would also provide insurance in case TA goes down. Adding a lefty bat who can also play CF to improve the OF defense. Going after Cedric Mullins or Bryan Reynolds would be the moves that may be risky. But they both have key upside and add to the existing team with their versatility and athleticism. 

Of course, trades like that would mean either Andrew Vaughn or Garrett Crochet headlining. I really like Vaughn esp. with what he did in LF. And Crochet has done everything the Sox have asked and needed from him. [I don't know if he has the 3rd pitch necessary to be a TOR starter]. But BALT or PITT may see him as a guy who is. But Vaughn's 2022 could be replaced by a full year of Eloy and Robert. And both Mullins and Reynolds would be around for 4 years. And a case could be made that with Vaughn's impressive 2021, he may be someone to stick with over Eloy for LF, and have Eloy be part of a win now trade. 

I know people want to add to the rotation. None of the current 1-5's are going anywhere. I see adding more depth in AAA as  the key. Cease is likely to improve, enough to be the #1 or #2. Keuchel certainly has the talent to be a #4 or 5, with a likely bounce back year. Getting Kopech 150 innings is the biggest rotation question mark. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beck72 said:

If Semien is the Sox #1 free agent target, improving RF with another big addition [lefty bat] should be the next item of business via trade. The Sox should look at this offseason thinking they have a two year window to win a World Series. [While they have Grandal, Jose still playing well, Lynn and Hendriks]. The Sox would still have talent to be playoff competitive past the next two years. But some risky moves should be made that make some big improvements over the 2021 Sox.

Right now, TA and Robert are the two most irreplaceable Sox-Grandal is a close 3rd. Semien for 2b would also provide insurance in case TA goes down. Adding a lefty bat who can also play CF to improve the OF defense. Going after Cedric Mullins or Bryan Reynolds would be the moves that may be risky. But they both have key upside and add to the existing team with their versatility and athleticism. 

Of course, trades like that would mean either Andrew Vaughn or Garrett Crochet headlining. I really like Vaughn esp. with what he did in LF. And Crochet has done everything the Sox have asked and needed from him. [I don't know if he has the 3rd pitch necessary to be a TOR starter]. But BALT or PITT may see him as a guy who is. But Vaughn's 2022 could be replaced by a full year of Eloy and Robert. And both Mullins and Reynolds would be around for 4 years. And a case could be made that with Vaughn's impressive 2021, he may be someone to stick with over Eloy for LF, and have Eloy be part of a win now trade. 

I know people want to add to the rotation. None of the current 1-5's are going anywhere. I see adding more depth in AAA as  the key. Cease is likely to improve, enough to be the #1 or #2. Keuchel certainly has the talent to be a #4 or 5, with a likely bounce back year. Getting Kopech 150 innings is the biggest rotation question mark. 

If the Sox were to pony up to sign Semien they would have an ungodly lineup 1-8 and all-star talent at 7 out of 8 defensive positions (pitching aside).  I think bolstering a pitching staff that fell flat on its face in the playoffs would be a much higher priority than making it 8 out of 8.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

If the Sox were to pony up to sign Semien they would have an ungodly lineup 1-8 and all-star talent at 7 out of 8 defensive positions (pitching aside).  I think bolstering a pitching staff that fell flat on its face in the playoffs would be a much higher priority than making it 8 out of 8.  

Are we talking about the same offense that mustered 6 runs in 3 losses vs the Astros in the ALDS? Because that offense fell on its face pretty hard.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, chetkincaid said:

Semien is a top 5 free agent this year.

When is the last time the White Sox landed a top 5 free agent? Probably Albert Belle.

The White Sox don't operate like that anymore.

Age is the only reason I could see Semien ending up with the White Sox...if he were still in his 20s the White Sox wouldn't even bother to schedule the meeting!

19 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

Are we talking about the same offense that mustered 6 runs in 3 losses vs the Astros in the ALDS? Because that offense fell on its face pretty hard.

First, I'm not advocating doing nothing to help the offense at all.  The question was whether, after adding an MVP candidate to our offense, the very next priority should be to add yet *more* offense/position players.  I think not.

Also, while the top of the order actually hit pretty well there's no doubt the Sox didn't perform well in any aspect of the game in the series.  Of course, there's a small sample size issue with any examination of a single series, but I simply have more trust that the talent in our lineup will bounce back from that SSS than I do in our depleted rotation standing up to a playoff offense.  Lynn's whole approach is a poor fit for the Astros, and I don't think we can count on him against a likely playoff opponent, especially a year older.  Carlos is gone.  There are noticeable gaps in our rotation that need to be addressed.

Edited by 35thstreetswarm
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

First, I'm not advocating doing nothing to help the offense at all.  The question was whether, after adding an MVP candidate to our offense, the very next priority should be to add yet *more* offense/position players.  I think not.

Also, while the top of the order actually hit pretty well there's no doubt the Sox didn't perform well in any aspect of the game in the series.  Of course, there's a small sample size issue with any examination of a single series, but I simply have more trust that the talent in our lineup will bounce back from that SSS than I do in our depleted rotation standing up to a playoff offense.  Lynn's whole approach is a poor fit for the Astros, and I don't think we can count on him against a likely playoff opponent, especially a year older.  Carlos is gone.  There are noticeable gaps in our rotation that need to be addressed.

For sure, but just going on how the organization has operated overall, a few exceptions withstanding, I see us spending any "real" money on 2B/RF, and going bargain bin hunting for pitching. We're not paying any starting pitcher, the current TOR going rates.

41 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Sox should engage with Ray also just to make sure Toronto doesn't get either of them cheaply.

Im pretty sure the Sox aren't the market setters you may think they are with this post.

Actual teams that spend big money will be engaged with Ray and they will push the market up. The Sox are the team waiting in the weeds hoping someone falls through on the cheap.

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Im pretty sure the Sox aren't the market setters you may think they are with this post.

Actual teams that spend big money will be engaged with Ray and they will push the market up. The Sox are the team waiting in the weeds hoping someone falls through on the cheap.

As evidenced by the last couple of years, the Sox will set a market for people they view as "their guy".  They did it with Hendriks and they did it with Grandal.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

As evidenced by the last couple of years, the Sox will set a market for people they view as "their guy".  They did it with Hendriks and they did it with Grandal.

Yes, the Sox will set the market in markets that have caps that are well under the amount of money Robbie Ray and Marcus Semien are going to get.

If you play a position that doesn't get 9 figure contracts the Sox are all-in on setting the market for you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, beck72 said:

Cedric Mullens is not going to be available. As much as I like him, he can't throw in cf, he'd be a huge liability throwing from rf. He has a lf arm.

43 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yes, the Sox will set the market in markets that have caps that are well under the amount of money Robbie Ray and Marcus Semien are going to get.

If you play a position that doesn't get 9 figure contracts the Sox are all-in on setting the market for you.

That's really only one position and that's relief pitching. It's been Hahn's biggest weakness playing with draft picks , FA's and trades on the most volatile position in baseball but the least expensive .

Right now I'm just looking for a sign of anything other than going through the motions. I don't know if the Sox were at the Verlander  showcase. I don't know if they show any interest in Andrew Heaney. I know they had no interest in Rodon. Meeting with Boras about Semien is most likely Boras being in the same place at the same time so getting it done as quickly as possible to tell the Sox he wants 8 yrs $200M.

And a case could be made that with Vaughn's impressive 2021, he may be someone to stick with over Eloy for LF, and have Eloy be part of a win now trade. 

--------------------------------------------

Vaughn is better than Eloy? OK. I won't re litigate that other than to say that is a joke.

"Win now?" That was the promise of the Kimbrel trade where Hahn gave up other core pieces for nothing. I don't trust Hahn's judgment when it comes to trading away any player or top prospect.

2 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

That would be the same players who posted the 27th worst fielding percentage and made the 26th most errors last season! I think a 2b talent like Semien would be very necessary to help that improve.

• Quin locked this topic