Sox to talk about Semien with Boras

DirtySox

“Members of the Rangers front office recently met with Corey Seager and Marcus Semien in California, The Dallas Morning News’ Evan Grant reports.  Texas was already known to have interest in both free agent shortstops, so the in-person meetings represent the next logical step in the pursuit, especially since the Rangers have also met face-to-face with another available shortstop in Trevor Story.  After five consecutive losing seasons, the Rangers are looking eager to return to contention, and are known to be willing to spend at the highest ends of the free agent market. “

-MLB Trade Rumors

Damned Rangers… having all the fun.

1 hour ago, hi8is said:

“Members of the Rangers front office recently met with Corey Seager and Marcus Semien in California, The Dallas Morning News’ Evan Grant reports.  Texas was already known to have interest in both free agent shortstops, so the in-person meetings represent the next logical step in the pursuit, especially since the Rangers have also met face-to-face with another available shortstop in Trevor Story.  After five consecutive losing seasons, the Rangers are looking eager to return to contention, and are known to be willing to spend at the highest ends of the free agent market. “

-MLB Trade Rumors

Damned Rangers… having all the fun.

This just puts them in a slightly better position to lose to the White Sox in the 2023-24 ALDS.

Seager grew up as a Charlotte Knights fan, anyway.

1 hour ago, hi8is said:

You’re continuing to scare me…. 1984 and a Jay / Yonder repeat sounds horrific.

Well, already living through 1984 here in China.

Maybe you would prefer Murakami novels, Terry Brooks or the Shaara Family (history).

This move would be more out of the Danks brothers, Machado and Klay/Trayce Thompson playbook.

Kyle’s also available, fwiw.  So CERTAINLY two brothers beats a brother in law (Alonso) and cousin (Jay)!!!

Plus relocation expenses from Charlotte to Knights’ Stadium/The Wizard’s Castle or whatever, magically cheap.

Edited by caulfield12

14 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, already living through 1984 here in China.

Maybe you would prefer Murakami novels, Terry Brooks or the Shaara Family (history).

I’ve been stuck on Bruce Coville after finishing The Princess Bride… my reading now consists of books in this vein aloud to hi8is jr. in an ongoing attempt to keep him off screens.

2 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

There were past offseasons I wanted Semien - because I thought you would get value. I want nothing to do with Semien this offseason. 

Nailed it. Love the guy, but the cost is too high. Whoever ponies up will get a really good player and team mate. They'll probably regret the last couple 

of years on his contract as well.

1 hour ago, hi8is said:

Escobar

Conforto

Bassit / Alacantra

Two Bullpen Arms

… Sounds good to me…

Did we really wait a decade to be this excited about two guys we traded away coming back and Conforto coming off a down season where he's just as likely at his age to want a 1-2 year deal to rebuild some of his lost value at age 29 and go back out into the market?

That said, if he doesn't have 4-6 guaranteed years, you have a higher likelihood of getting those really amazing years before he hits his peak and starts the inevitable decline physically.  Can honestly live with that while waiting on the two Cubans and perhaps a position change from our young SS if he keeps growing to OF or 2B.

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Did we really wait a decade to be this excited about two guys we traded away coming back and Conforto coming off a down season where he's just as likely at his age to want a 1-2 year deal to rebuild some of his lost value at age 29 and go back out into the market?

That said, if he doesn't have 4-6 guaranteed years, you have a higher likelihood of getting those really amazing years before he hits his peak and starts the inevitable decline physically.  Can honestly live with that while waiting on the two Cubans and perhaps a position change from our young SS if he keeps growing to OF or 2B.

Escobar and Bassit are totally different players as they where when we traded them. If you look at the potential value of Semien and Escobar while also weighing both salary as well as timeframe, I think it’s a good argument to have against Marcus.

As for Conforto, he’s other a pillow deal and he’s also worth taking a multi year gamble on.

If we bring in bigger most substantial pieces, great! If something like what I outlined ends up being our off-season, I’ll be happy with that as well.

20 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Escobar and Bassit are totally different players as they where when we traded them. If you look at the potential value of Semien and Escobar while also weighing both salary as well as timeframe, I think it’s a good argument to have against Marcus.

As for Conforto, he’s other a pillow deal and he’s also worth taking a multi year gamble on.

If we bring in bigger most substantial pieces, great! If something like what I outlined ends up being our off-season, I’ll be happy with that as well.

Yep that would be a quality offseason and a better 2022 roster than 2021

Trading for Chris Bassitt is pretty close to the last thing Rick Hahn should do this offseason.

Escobar's a good player; it would be great if they can sign him.
I can see the Semien hesitancy....he wants to be paid for those 45 dingers.

Edited by GreenSox

8 hours ago, fathom said:

Not surprising but I saw a blurb that Levine stated yesterday Semien’s contract demands are likely too high for the Sox.  

If Bruce said it, I think it's probably accurate. 

Bruce is the other guy the Sox FO goes to when they want to make info public.  

Edited by Jack Parkman

11 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Trading for Chris Bassitt is pretty close to the last thing Rick Hahn should do this offseason.

Escobar's a good player; it would be great if they can sign him.
I can see the Semien hesitancy....he wants to be paid for those 45 dingers.

Escobar is ok only if they go big elsewhere 

• Quin locked this topic