Sox to talk about Semien with Boras

DirtySox

3 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Marcus Semien is a better defensive SS than Tim Anderson. He sucked it up and played 2B on his one year collusion restrained late Toronto signing last off-season.

His preference is likely to return to SS, and he'll likely receive at least one offer allowing him to do that at terms similar to an offer to remain at 2B.

Collusion restrained?

No way. 31 year old (hello aging curve) right handed 2B with career what 770 OPS or so.

Umm no. 

I need two SAVAGE LH bats this offseason. Not switch hitters that are better against lefties than righties.

Not sub-850 OPS vs righties. 

SAVAGE LH bats. 

Figure it out. 

I'm tired of this problem. Solve the issue. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

No way. 31 year old (hello aging curve) right handed 2B with career what 770 OPS or so.

Umm no. 

I need two SAVAGE LH bats this offseason. Not switch hitters that are better against lefties than righties.

Not sub-850 OPS vs righties. 

SAVAGE LH bats. 

Figure it out. 

I'm tired of this problem. Solve the issue. 

I mean, Conforto is career .873 vs righties, so does that qualify as savage?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Quin said:

I mean, Conforto is career .873 vs righties, so does that qualify as savage?

Yes, he is one, but where is the second one?

I think Harold suggested Schwarber in another thread but the issue is where to put him considering the glut with DH types and Vaughn. 

1 minute ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I think Harold suggested Schwarber in another thread but the issue is where to put him considering the glut with DH types and Vaughn. 

I guess if you wanna go fucking wild and try and convince someone to move to second, Seager.

6 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I guess in that case, you would definitely have to deal Vaughn for pitching or a long-term 2B.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I’m fine giving out long deals, but not to a 31 year old at a non-premiere position 

If you're dealing with a Boras client or someone comparable, and the MLB's FA market is not broken, then it's going to be for enough years and money that you'll say "This will look like a bad deal in only a few years". That will be the case with almost any of the top level FAs in the case of a functioning market. If you're not prepared for that, then you're not prepared for the FA market.

The trick remains - to make it worth it, you sign the guy and then go win a world series. Or two. 

3 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Sheets was .848 in his 191 PA sample size combining regular season and playoffs.  You never know if .850 is a possibility.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

4 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Marcus Semien is a better defensive SS than Tim Anderson. He sucked it up and played 2B on his one year collusion restrained late Toronto signing last off-season.

His preference is likely to return to SS, and he'll likely receive at least one offer allowing him to do that at terms similar to an offer to remain at 2B.

What does that have to with batting leadoff?

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This is basic negotiations 101 though.  You’re starting position is not what you’re expecting and it’s probably even more ridiculous with Boras at helm.

Most rumors are BS but it appears Semien is mentioned more often as going to SS vs 2B. 

2 hours ago, kleedawg said:

What does that have to with batting leadoff?

It doesn’t, Tim should remain at leadoff, assuming Marcus and no one else major is brought in, because Tim consistently has a better OBP, whereas Marcus consistently has a better OPS, and can drive him home.

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

If that's going to be the attitude, then the White Sox's roster is on the field. 

I agree with Fathom, wouldn’t consider a 6-7 year deal for Semien, which he is also likely to sign as a SS. Don’t see the Sox offering that to him.

The Sox can get multiple quality players for multiple holes spending those funds wisely, assuming that is even what Hahn had to work with, and they don’t screw over the future with Heyward type contracts. Now can Hahn do it like Kenny did with his 2004-2005 offseason moves is another story, though that’s beyond the scope of this discussion.

On 11/21/2021 at 9:12 PM, Chicago White Sox said:

What’s wrong with Bassitt?

There's nothing wrong with Bassitt.   He'll be a good pitcher to sign next year.

There's a lot wrong with Rick Hahn trading for him.   Horrid record with trades with As;  trading for 1-year player (with all due respect to Lynn); weirdness of trading for a player that he once traded away for dimes on the dollar.

Edited by GreenSox

28 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

It doesn’t, Tim should remain at leadoff, assuming Marcus and no one else major is brought in, because Tim consistently has a better OBP, whereas Marcus consistently has a better OPS, and can drive him home.

I agree with Fathom, wouldn’t consider a 6-7 year deal for Semien, which he is also likely to sign as a SS. Don’t see the Sox offering that to him.

The Sox can get multiple quality players for multiple holes spending those funds wisely, assuming that is even what Hahn had to work with, and they don’t screw over the future with Heyward type contracts. Now can Hahn do it like Kenny did with his 2004-2005 offseason moves is another story, though that’s beyond the scope of this discussion.

I'll quote myself fro a previous thread so I don't have to tyoe again: 

Hypothetically, if we got Semien I think he must bat 1st and T.A. second. If Semien leads off and get on first. The first baseman obviously would have the speedy runner on first, The second baseman would have to cheat towards second for double play positioning and a 2b cover on a steal. That leaves virtually the whole damn right side of the infield open for T.A.  And T.A. loves to hit to right and is best when he does. This should easily add 15 points to Tim's batting average and greatly increase is RBI's. It would also increase the $$$$ coming on his new contract. The white sox would start a lot of games first and third no outs and the heart of the order coming up. If Semien doubles, then once again you have the perfect guy coming up to hit behind him.

It doesn't work the other way around because Semien is a pull hitter.

9 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

There's nothing wrong with Bassitt.   He'll be a good pitcher to sign next year.

There's a lot wrong with Rick Hahn trading for him.   Horrid record with trades with As;  trading for 1-year player (with all due respect to Lynn); weirdness of trading for a player that he once traded away for dimes on the dollar.

There couldn't be a worse reason to not make a trade.  If he is scared, he needs to find a new job.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Then what do you propose doing this offseason?  How do you get us closer to winning a championship?

56 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Semien wants to get paid SS money similar to Machado wanting to get paid SS money.  I’d wager he’ll happily play 2B if the money is right.

Playing 2B, if the money is right,  on a playoff team.  A lot of positives. But he may want to go back to SS and the money will be right just about anywhere he ends up. Might not be a playoff team though.  We shall see as the SS sweepstakes will involve a lot of teams. 

• Quin locked this topic