Sox to talk about Semien with Boras

DirtySox

1 hour ago, SCCWS said:

Playing 2B, if the money is right,  on a playoff team.  A lot of positives. But he may want to go back to SS and the money will be right just about anywhere he ends up. Might not be a playoff team though.  We shall see as the SS sweepstakes will involve a lot of teams. 

I think Marcus would prioritize winning over playing SS.  Also, I could playing for a west coast team also being a key tiebreaker.

6 hours ago, poppysox said:

I wonder how an agent can keep a straight face when asking for stuff like this.  No thanks!

As someone who negotiated my own `50% raise a couple of years back all I can say is if you don't ask for it, you won't get it.  The worst that happens is they say no.  Typically it serves as a negotiating point.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SleepyWhiteSox said:

Seriously.  Why wouldn't an agent start with the lowest possible amount they'd accept?  Makes no sense.

If you have a house that you hope to sell for 250,000 you might want to list it at 275,000 so you have some room to dicker.  To list it at 500,000...people don't bother to even look.  These wild-ass asking prices do the client a disservice by limiting half the potential buyers IMO.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

As someone who negotiated my own `50% raise a couple of years back all I can say is if you don't ask for it, you won't get it.  The worst that happens is they say no.  Typically it serves as a negotiating point.

Can't the worst that can happen be that they think you're so delusional that they fire you? 

4 minutes ago, poppysox said:

If you have a house that you hope to sell for 250,000 you might want to list it at 275,000 so you have some room to dicker.  To list it at 500,000...people don't bother to even look.  These wild-ass asking prices do the client a disservice by limiting half the potential buyers IMO.  

It sure doesn't stop people from showing up and lowballing your offer either. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

That's his job. If everyone doing your job or my job, if you don't work for yourself, had an agent, we would all be making a lot more money.

Or not working at all.  Boris has left more than one client with few options when initial interesting offers moved on.  People don't like to be played IMO.

7 minutes ago, poppysox said:

sorry but there is very little comparison to a market like free agency with 30 competing buyers and few comparable resources and a 250k home in lisle

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It sure doesn't stop people from showing up and lowballing your offer either. 

That of course doesn't stop you from offering to split the difference at $250,000.  Everyone wants to get the highest possible paycheck but a bird in the hand has some value as well.  Watch what happens on December 1st as the bird in the hand players show up.

14 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Same principles...just different numbers.

his comps are fine. At 31, Robinson Cano got a 10 year deal for 240 million. Rendon as a 30 year old got a 7 year, 245 deal. Machado is signed through age 37, Lindor 36. This is not a strange starting point for him to be making.

19 minutes ago, bmags said:

his comps are fine. At 31, Robinson Cano got a 10 year deal for 240 million. Rendon as a 30 year old got a 7 year, 245 deal. Machado is signed through age 37, Lindor 36. This is not a strange starting point for him to be making.

I think Boras is probably the right choice for the very top-of-class FA's.  IMO the typical player is better served by finding a good fit with multiple years if available ASAP.  Carlos Rodon is exactly the type of player I have in mind.  He should be careful not to overplay his hand.  Three years at 12-14 with some incentives might prove to be a great offer.  Time will tell.

FWIW--I saw the Cano contract reference but didn't see this from Rosenthal: 

George Springer, who a year ago was almost exactly the same age as Semien is today, landed a six-year, $150 million deal on the open market with the Blue Jays."

Story says Red Sox are very involved but Boras wants $200 Mil.  Yankees sniffing around as well. 

Does sound like Semien will play 2B which is a good sign for us. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb-rumors-marcus-semien-asking-200009025.html

7 hours ago, SCCWS said:

FWIW--I saw the Cano contract reference but didn't see this from Rosenthal: 

George Springer, who a year ago was almost exactly the same age as Semien is today, landed a six-year, $150 million deal on the open market with the Blue Jays."

Story says Red Sox are very involved but Boras wants $200 Mil.  Yankees sniffing around as well. 

Does sound like Semien will play 2B which is a good sign for us. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb-rumors-marcus-semien-asking-200009025.html

Kind of crazy that Marcus Semien could end up with anywhere close to 3x greater than the Grandal deal in terms of overall dollars.

• Quin locked this topic