Sox to talk about Semien with Boras

DirtySox

This from Dodger blog listing teams likely to poach Chris Taylor (hint...Sox are first on the list). FWIW, Taylor is my #1 FA choice. Versatility and pedigree make him an ideal fit with current roster composition. Guessing somewhere in the 3yr/$54M range? 

"The White Sox traded Nick Madrigal to the Chicago Cubs last season in the Craig Kimbrel deal and opened up a spot at second base. The team does not really have a true second baseman on the roster, opening the door for Taylor to start full time there.

There’s also a bit of a depth issue in the outfield, which is where Taylor can easily fill an important role. If the White Sox find someone to help at second or call someone up, Taylor can still help in the corner outfield spots on a day-to-day basis and take over at short or third if needed".

• Like 1

Semien is a fine ball player, but I'm not sure why the Sox would make him a priority?

He's expensive, old, and bats righty.  

In a perfect world, I'd love him on the team, but not in our reality.  

Get someone left handed, plays good defense, and hopefully has a solid OBP.  

The cheaper the better. 

On 11/11/2021 at 9:17 PM, beck72 said:

If Semien is the Sox #1 free agent target, improving RF with another big addition [lefty bat] should be the next item of business via trade. The Sox should look at this offseason thinking they have a two year window to win a World Series. [While they have Grandal, Jose still playing well, Lynn and Hendriks]. The Sox would still have talent to be playoff competitive past the next two years. But some risky moves should be made that make some big improvements over the 2021 Sox.

Right now, TA and Robert are the two most irreplaceable Sox-Grandal is a close 3rd. Semien for 2b would also provide insurance in case TA goes down. Adding a lefty bat who can also play CF to improve the OF defense. Going after Cedric Mullins or Bryan Reynolds would be the moves that may be risky. But they both have key upside and add to the existing team with their versatility and athleticism. 

Of course, trades like that would mean either Andrew Vaughn or Garrett Crochet headlining. I really like Vaughn esp. with what he did in LF. And Crochet has done everything the Sox have asked and needed from him. [I don't know if he has the 3rd pitch necessary to be a TOR starter]. But BALT or PITT may see him as a guy who is. But Vaughn's 2022 could be replaced by a full year of Eloy and Robert. And both Mullins and Reynolds would be around for 4 years. And a case could be made that with Vaughn's impressive 2021, he may be someone to stick with over Eloy for LF, and have Eloy be part of a win now trade. 

I know people want to add to the rotation. None of the current 1-5's are going anywhere. I see adding more depth in AAA as  the key. Cease is likely to improve, enough to be the #1 or #2. Keuchel certainly has the talent to be a #4 or 5, with a likely bounce back year. Getting Kopech 150 innings is the biggest rotation question mark. 

Mullins is pretty close to untouchable. Reynolds less so, but it would require almost all of our remaining trade chips.

17 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Mullins is pretty close to untouchable. Reynolds less so, but it would require almost all of our remaining trade chips.

I still think the Sox have a big trade to add a big lefty bat. The options such as Conforto, Schwarber, in free agency will be too costly in terms of years and dollars. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, beck72 said:

How is Taylor’s defense at 2b from watching him? 

I only recall him making a couple of clear bonehead plays… other than that not flashy in the infield, makes some long range grabs in the outfield, dependable, and seems equally talented at any position he’s thrown at.

Never looks out of place. He’s a good hard working ball player.

Similar defensively to Merrifield.  Value from power and versatility, versus speed and versatility…similar athletically, although seems that Whit has definitely peaked as a player.  Taylor just coming into his own.

Taylor could play SS better for sure, and stronger arm.  Similar in OF.

Edited by caulfield12

12 minutes ago, hi8is said:

I only recall him making a couple of clear bonehead plays… other than that not flashy in the infield, makes some long range grabs in the outfield, dependable, and seems equally talented at any position he’s thrown at.

Never looks out of place. He’s a good hard working ball player.

He does check off some boxes the Sox need. 

In one of Hendriks interviews after the season he stated the Sox really needed a few more glove first guys. That may not be Taylor but he would make the Sox better in other ways. 

15 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Similar defensively to Merrifield.  Value from power and versatility, versus speed and versatility…similar athletically, although seems that Whit has definitely peaked as a player.  Taylor just coming into his own.

Taylor could play SS better for sure, and stronger arm.  Similar in OF.

What kind of deal is Taylor projected to get?

Just now, beck72 said:

He does check off some boxes the Sox need. 

In one of Hendriks interviews after the season he stated the Sox really needed a few more glove first guys. That may not be Taylor but he would make the Sox better in other ways. 

One thing I love about this off-season is that we have just a few clear holes and there are many different options of the path to fill them. One move should lead to us seeing what’s likely to come next.

Just now, hi8is said:

One thing I love about this off-season is that we have just a few clear holes and there are many different options of the path to fill them. One move should lead to us seeing what’s likely to come next.

Very true. I certainly get the feeling the Sox are going to get a clear upgrade in the lineup. The Eaton/ Mazarra type roll of the dice flyers are not the way to go. 

35 minutes ago, beck72 said:

I still think the Sox have a big trade to add a big lefty bat. The options such as Conforto, Schwarber, in free agency will be too costly in terms of years and dollars. 

Why are they too costly?  Like I don’t understand how anyone thinks 4/$80M or less is too much for this franchise.

1 hour ago, beck72 said:

Why would it be too costly? Also, even though it’s quiet right now, it doesn’t mean the Sox aren’t going to do anything the rest of the offseason. It’s only November 26th. If you think Graveman is going to be the highest paid player we sign this offseason, you better be ready to eat some crow.

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why are they too costly?  Like I don’t understand how anyone thinks 4/$80M or less is too much for this franchise.

Schwarber especially is too one dimensional. Spending that money and 4’yrs the Sox need decent defense. 

Conforto should get more in both years and dollars. He’s not the missing sure fire piece that would be our top salaried positional player. 

Call me crazy but to win the AL, I’d like players who know the league and have had success. Both bats and arms. 

Edited by beck72

50 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Why would it be too costly? Also, even though it’s quiet right now, it doesn’t mean the Sox aren’t going to do anything the rest of the offseason. It’s only November 26th.

I agree it’s early and there’s plenty of time to make deals. I think the Sox will strike earlier than not via free agency.
The trades will take some time. 

I forget which Mets site it was from but almost every person was fine with letting Conforto go. Too inconsistent and frustrating for them. If he put up Schwarber like numbers with decent defense fine. He’d be the top salaried position player but likely 7th best player. 

Conforto coming in trying to prove he is worthy of a huge contract, adjusting to a new league, I find it hard to see him replicating even his 2021 numbers. 

Edited by beck72

27 minutes ago, beck72 said:

Schwarber especially is too one dimensional. Spending that money and 4’yrs the Sox need decent defense. 

Conforto should get more in both years and dollars. He’s not the missing sure fire piece that would be our top salaried positional player. 

Call me crazy but to win the AL, I’d like players who know the league and have had success. Both bats and arms. 

Why would a hitter be more successful in the NL than AL?  What is it about the leagues that makes you think a NL can’t come over and be successful?  I’ve never understood this thought process, but am generally interested in knowing the logic behind it.

Also, I don’t think Conforto gets more than 4/$80M coming off the year he just had and a pick attached to him.  Regardless, who would you rather trade for and what do you expect the cost to be?  I honestly don’t know if anyone would be available on the trade front that would address our needs against RHP better and if there is someone I’m missing I’m guessing the cost would be substantial.

26 minutes ago, beck72 said:

I agree it’s early and there’s plenty of time to make deals. I think the Sox will strike earlier than not via free agency.
The trades will take some time. 

I forget which Mets site it was from but almost every person was fine with letting Conforto go. Too inconsistent and frustrating for them. If he put up Schwarber like numbers with decent defense fine. He’d be the top salaried position player but likely 7th best player. 

Conforto coming in trying to prove he is worthy of a huge contract, adjusting to a new league, I find it hard to see him replicating even his 2021 numbers. 

Conforto has been a better hitter than Schwarber over the course of his career, so I guess I don’t follow that comment unless you are basing everything on the 2021 season in which Conforto dealt with a hamstring issue.  I still don’t understand this “adjusting” to a new league stuff either, but will wait for your response to my previous post on that.

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why would a hitter be more successful in the NL than AL?  What is it about the leagues that makes you think a NL can’t come over and be successful?  I’ve never understood this thought process, but am generally interested in knowing the logic behind it.

Also, I don’t think Conforto gets more than 4/$80M coming off the year he just had and a pick attached to him.  Regardless, who would you rather trade for and what do you expect the cost to be?  I honestly don’t know if anyone would be available on the trade front that would address our needs against RHP better and if there is someone I’m missing I’m guessing the cost would be substantial.

Having played his entire career in the NL there will be an adjustment period to learn the AL pitchers. How big will that be? Big enough that there will be some struggles even for the best hitters. 

Having the biggest contract for a Sox position player on a guy Mets fans say is inconsistent and frustrating, who they are fine letting him walk away, who they don’t see as a core piece for their future, I’m a little skeptical.

• Quin locked this topic