Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DirtySox

Sox to talk about Semien with Boras

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

Trading for Chris Bassitt is pretty close to the last thing Rick Hahn should do this offseason.

 

Escobar's a good player; it would be great if they can sign him.
I can see the Semien hesitancy....he wants to be paid for those 45 dingers.

 

What’s wrong with Bassitt?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

Trading for Chris Bassitt is pretty close to the last thing Rick Hahn should do this offseason.

 

Yea… his last 4 seasons average at a 141 ERA+, he strikes out about 9 per 9 innings, and gives up about 1 homer over the same span.

Considering our current starting 5 is Giolito, Lynn, Cease, Dallas, and Kopech with Lopez first on the depth chart… why on earth would Hahn even consider a starting pitcher who began his professional career on our team that’s preformed 40% better than his peers over the past 4 years, according to one metric.

What other ideas do you have… since this one clearly is awful. 😆

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What’s wrong with Bassitt?

Shush… people don’t have to explain their reasoning on Soxtalk. It is the way.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What’s wrong with Bassitt?

Other than making sure he's cleared the concussion protocols with no long-term issues....what are we willing to give up for him?

Which players would the A's actually be interested in, assuming that everyone's going to be unhappy giving away Vaughn and/or Jimenez.

If they trade Olson, Vaughn would seem pretty obvious, Collins or Burger as well.

Cespedes has the obvious family connection/s to that franchise, but that might be too much pressure for him.

Crochet, as usual, will get brought up, along with guys like Rodriguez, Ramos, Bailey, Krogman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, caulfield12 said:

Other than making sure he's cleared the concussion protocols with no long-term issues....what are we willing to give up for him?

Which players would the A's actually be interested in, assuming that everyone's going to be unhappy giving away Vaughn and/or Jimenez.

If they trade Olson, Vaughn would seem pretty obvious, Collins or Burger as well.

Cespedes has the obvious family connection/s to that franchise, but that might be too much pressure for him.

Crochet, as usual, will get brought up, along with guys like Rodriguez, Ramos, Bailey, Krogman.

In what world would one year of Chris Bassitt cost Vaughn or Jimenez?

  • Like 3
  • Fire 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Other than making sure he's cleared the concussion protocols with no long-term issues....what are we willing to give up for him?

Which players would the A's actually be interested in, assuming that everyone's going to be unhappy giving away Vaughn and/or Jimenez.

If they trade Olson, Vaughn would seem pretty obvious, Collins or Burger as well.

Cespedes has the obvious family connection/s to that franchise, but that might be too much pressure for him.

Crochet, as usual, will get brought up, along with guys like Rodriguez, Ramos, Bailey, Krogman.

Olson is a stud, but where would he play on the Sox? 

And I would love Chris Bassitt back on the Sox. Would something like Burger/Sheets (pick one)  and Kelley work?

You don't think much of Eloy do you? Now you're bringing him up in trades for rentals. Earlier today you wanted to trade him to the Twins.

  • Fire 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

In what world would one year of Chris Bassitt cost Vaughn or Jimenez?

In a world where pitchers are getting $40 million contracts...and having just a one-year commitment on the books has a ton of value for many cash-strapped franchises with better/deeper farm systems.

Ultimately, that would be what the A's would ask for to begin with.

Now would they accept a package around Burger and Collins and maybe one Tier B prospect?   Throw in Yermin for good measure, since the A's seem to be able to extract value from nearly any hitter historically.

Maybe, probably...?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sarava said:

Olson is a stud, but where would he play on the Sox? 

And I would love Chris Bassitt back on the Sox. Would something like Burger/Sheets (pick one)  and Kelley work?

You don't think much of Eloy do you? Now you're bringing him up in trades for rentals. Earlier today you wanted to trade him to the Twins.

No, I mean the A's would/could/should be looking to trade Olson and/or Chapman this offseason, so looking for replacements....Chapman's value is at a low point, so they might need to wait for a rebound with him the first half. 

If I can actually get back Buxton (with a 5-7 year extension in the $110-125 million range) for Vaughn+, I'm happy to do that instead.

Edited by caulfield12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, caulfield12 said:

No, I mean the A's would/could/should be looking to trade Olson and/or Chapman this offseason, so looking for replacements....Chapman's value is at a low point, so they might need to wait for a rebound with him the first half. 

Oh....yeah we're not trading Vaughn or Eloy for a rental. Come on man. Are you trying to end the rebuild by next year?

  • Fire 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Oh....yeah we're not trading Vaughn or Eloy for a rental. Come on man. Are you trying to end the rebuild by next year?

But we're also not going to be trading for every single target of interest with Burger, Sheets, Collins, etc.

The problem is we don't have much to offer outside of those two headline names and Crochet that would be tremendously enticing.

 

Anyone looking at our roster would find that to be the place of most redundancy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

But we're also not going to be trading for every single target of interest with Burger, Sheets, Collins, etc.

The problem is we don't have much to offer outside of those two headline names and Crochet that would be tremendously enticing.

 

Anyone looking at our roster would find that to be the place of most redundancy.

I get that the Sox are limited in what they can give up. I'm not against moving Vaughn for the right piece. I would say the same about Crochet. But a one year rental is not it. If there's no match for Chris Bassitt, then there's no match.

As for Eloy, the only guy more untouchable than him is Luis Robert. Maybe Timmy as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Other than making sure he's cleared the concussion protocols with no long-term issues....what are we willing to give up for him?

Which players would the A's actually be interested in, assuming that everyone's going to be unhappy giving away Vaughn and/or Jimenez.

If they trade Olson, Vaughn would seem pretty obvious, Collins or Burger as well.

Cespedes has the obvious family connection/s to that franchise, but that might be too much pressure for him.

Crochet, as usual, will get brought up, along with guys like Rodriguez, Ramos, Bailey, Krogman.

I don’t know how in the world you think a 2.5 to 3.5 win pitcher with one year of control is worth Eloy or Vaughn.  Like how does that even begin to enter your mind?  I mean, Olsen is a significantly better player and has two years of control left.  They aren’t even remotely comparable assets.

Regarding Cespedes, teams don’t trade for players because of “family connections”.  You really need to stop with these Disney movie fantasies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How long would you go on a Semien deal? 

If he's 31 going into the next season, I'd go 5 years with a high AAV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Hey Scott, it's Rick Hahn. Wanted to talk to you about Semien."

"Hey Rick, how's it going. How's the family?"

"For fucks sake, Scott. Why are you so god damned unreasonable?"

*click*

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t know how in the world you think a 2.5 to 3.5 win pitcher with one year of control is worth Eloy or Vaughn.  Like how does that even begin to enter your mind?  I mean, Olsen is a significantly better player and has two years of control left.  They aren’t even remotely comparable assets.

Regarding Cespedes, teams don’t trade for players because of “family connections”.  You really need to stop with these Disney movie fantasies.

I meant Oakland is shopping Olsen, meaning Vaughn would be exactly the type of player they're looking for.

Bassitt and Kemp (two years of control), but there’s no other fit unless it’s another pitcher out of their pen.

Canha’s a LF/FA and Piscotty/Andrus their two bad contracts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

I meant Oakland is shopping Olsen, meaning Vaughn would be exactly the type of player they're looking for.

Bassitt and Kemp (two years of control), but there’s no other fit unless it’s another pitcher out of their pen.

Canha’s a LF/FA and Piscotty/Andrus their two bad contracts.

Sounds like a seafood dish, Ill have the Piscotty Andrus el dente and a coke zero plz.

Edited by kleedawg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t know how in the world you think a 2.5 to 3.5 win pitcher with one year of control is worth Eloy or Vaughn.  Like how does that even begin to enter your mind?  I mean, Olsen is a significantly better player and has two years of control left.  They aren’t even remotely comparable assets.

Regarding Cespedes, teams don’t trade for players because of “family connections”.  You really need to stop with these Disney movie fantasies.

Once upon a Yonder Alonso my favorite team did this and it worked out well for everyone involved the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Snopek said:

Once upon a Yonder Alonso my favorite team did this and it worked out well for everyone involved the end.

Lol…fair enough, but that was us technically absorbing a bad contract to enhance the desire of a current player to play for us.  The A’s don’t go “Yoelqui is a 40 FV prospect, but because his last name is Cespedes we value as a 50 FV kid”.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lol…fair enough, but that was us technically absorbing a bad contract to enhance the desire of a current player to play for us.  The A’s don’t go “Yoelqui is a 40 FV prospect, but because his last name is Cespedes we value as a 50 FV kid”.

Oh yeah, for sure. Very different scenarios. I just wouldn't be living life to the fullest if I passed on an opportunity to reference Yonder Alonso.

  • Fire 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel I flip flop in my mind every other day about how well Semien fits on this roster with his likely contract.  He is an awesome fit to bat 2nd and add power to the lineup, as he’s probably the most underrated player in baseball. I like his chances a lot more than Conforto of coming over and excelling.   However, if adding him means no other upgrades, then I see why they would pass on him. I also feel like the Tigers or Astros will blow the Sox offer out of the water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, fathom said:

I feel I flip flop in my mind every other day about how well Semien fits on this roster with his likely contract.  He is an awesome fit to bat 2nd and add power to the lineup, as he’s probably the most underrated player in baseball. I like his chances a lot more than Conforto of coming over and excelling.   However, if adding him means no other upgrades, then I see why they would pass on him. I also feel like the Tigers or Astros will blow the Sox offer out of the water.

I think baseball is just about acquiring as much talent as possible when you already have a good team. We need a lefty power bat but those guys are hard to come by unless you are willing to trade young guys for it. So at this point for us I just want to add a 2B and RF that can truly play. That would be a significant boost to our title hopes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given the differences in age (2.5 years younger) and contract expectations, I’d happily take Conforto over Semien.  Also, interesting to see how much better Statcast views Michael as a hitter over Marcus.

Year: Conforto | Semien

  • 2017: 90 | 30
  • 2018: 63 | 25
  • 2019: 86 | 77
  • 2020: 86 | 10
  • 2021: 73 | 53

Obviously Semien has outproduced his Statcast projections (perhaps due to his pull heavy approach), but he lacks a long track of success and his offensive value recently has been tied to power despite limited hard contact.  Just seems like a guy whose offensive game could fall off pretty quickly if the power starts to fade.  Again, give me Conforto at less years and a lower AAV, even if he doesn’t bring the defensive value Marcus does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, fathom said:

I feel I flip flop in my mind every other day about how well Semien fits on this roster with his likely contract.  He is an awesome fit to bat 2nd and add power to the lineup, as he’s probably the most underrated player in baseball. I like his chances a lot more than Conforto of coming over and excelling.   However, if adding him means no other upgrades, then I see why they would pass on him. I also feel like the Tigers or Astros will blow the Sox offer out of the water.

He is a much better fit batting leadoff with Anderson 2nd. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kleedawg said:

He is a much better fit batting leadoff with Anderson 2nd. 

The lineup would be a lot better with Anderson batting 6th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, kleedawg said:

He is a much better fit batting leadoff with Anderson 2nd. 

Marcus Semien is a better defensive SS than Tim Anderson. He sucked it up and played 2B on his one year collusion restrained late Toronto signing last off-season.

His preference is likely to return to SS, and he'll likely receive at least one offer allowing him to do that at terms similar to an offer to remain at 2B.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×