Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DirtySox

Sox to talk about Semien with Boras

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, Sambuca said:

I guess that’s one way to summarize/describe the guy.  

Edit:  Oops. I guess that’s one way to fix my typo. 

Edited by Sambuca

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Conforto has been a better hitter than Schwarber over the course of his career, so I guess I don’t follow that comment unless you are basing everything on the 2021 season in which Conforto dealt with a hamstring issue.  I still don’t understand this “adjusting” to a new league stuff either, but will wait for your response to my previous post on that.

If Conforto had Schwarbers power…

The sox are at the win now stage that they should pay for a players proven consistency and track record-particularly vs AL east and west pitchers-the teams the Sox need to get past. That’s why I particularly liked Semien. 

For the right guy, a NL player could fit-both bat and glove. But Conforto if he’s not hitting won’t be a plus defensively. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, beck72 said:

Having played his entire career in the NL there will be an adjustment period to learn the AL pitchers. How big will that be? Big enough that there will be some struggles even for the best hitters. 

Having the biggest contract for a Sox position player on a guy Mets fans say is inconsistent and frustrating, who they are fine letting him walk away, who they don’t see as a core piece for their future, I’m a little skeptical.
 

Edit: NVM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why would a hitter be more successful in the NL than AL?  What is it about the leagues that makes you think a NL can’t come over and be successful?  I’ve never understood this thought process, but am generally interested in knowing the logic behind it.

Also, I don’t think Conforto gets more than 4/$80M coming off the year he just had and a pick attached to him.  Regardless, who would you rather trade for and what do you expect the cost to be?  I honestly don’t know if anyone would be available on the trade front that would address our needs against RHP better and if there is someone I’m missing I’m guessing the cost would be substantial.

LaRoche and Dunn left many Sox fans with a bad taste for NL players IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Conforto has been a better hitter than Schwarber over the course of his career, so I guess I don’t follow that comment unless you are basing everything on the 2021 season in which Conforto dealt with a hamstring issue.  I still don’t understand this “adjusting” to a new league stuff either, but will wait for your response to my previous post on that.

It concerns me how Mets fans attitude seem to have a 'don't let the door hit you in the ass' attitude towards Conforto. They're going to know him better than you or I will. If it's just an injury plagued season, say like Eloy was for us - why do they universally seem to be fine with him leaving?

To me, giving a guy 4/80 who is coming off a season of < 1 WAR is absurd. I would be ok with maybe 3/45? And even then, I'd expect the Sox to be hitting either or both 2B and TOR starter hard if they go light on RF and bring in Conforto.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, poppysox said:

LaRoche and Dunn left many Sox fans with a bad taste for NL players IMO.

Which is what I’m assuming and not a good indicator of what will happen if we sign an NL player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sarava said:

It concerns me how Mets fans attitude seem to have a 'don't let the door hit you in the ass' attitude towards Conforto. They're going to know him better than you or I will. If it's just an injury plagued season, say like Eloy was for us - why do they universally seem to be fine with him leaving?

To me, giving a guy 4/80 who is coming off a season of < 1 WAR is absurd. I would be ok with maybe 3/45? And even then, I'd expect the Sox to be hitting either or both 2B and TOR starter hard if they go light on RF and bring in Conforto.

Look at this board with certain players.  Some posters absolutely despise Grandal despite being the exact player we signed up for.  From what I can garner, it’s a mix of him coming off a horrible year and generally being a streaky player.  And while I’d prefer a guy who is more consistent month to month, I’m going to focus primarily on the full season results and Conforto has been about as good as anyone against RHP since 2017.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Look at this board with certain players.  Some posters absolutely despise Grandal despite being the exact player we signed up for.  From what I can garner, it’s a mix of him coming off a horrible year and generally being a streaky player.  And while I’d prefer a guy who is more consistent month to month, I’m going to focus primarily on the full season results and Conforto has been about as good as anyone against RHP since 2017.

Sounds like the same exact things we heard about Adam Dunn…although Conforto is obviously a more well-rounded player, that was supposed to be a slam dunk signing.

The skepticism about the Sox setting a new Sox overall contract dollars record on a guy who in previous markets would have been a solid buy lower guy is quite natural because it’s only taken one Cohen to distort the market upwards. And that’s largely without the Yankees and Dodgers making themselves heard, or the Angels.  Heck, even the Cubs are in a situation where they can’t wait another 4-5 years to be competitive again after shedding all those stars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jesse Rogers was on WS Weekly and said he’s heard more rumblings about Semien than Ray or any top pitchers.  He doesn’t think Schwarber signs until after lockout due to NL DH resolution needing to happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, fathom said:

Jesse Rogers was on WS Weekly and said he’s heard more rumblings about Semien than Ray or any top pitchers.  He doesn’t think Schwarber signs until after lockout due to NL DH resolution needing to happen.

If you can get a contract that doesn't go too deep in to his 30s, he is the way to go. 35 of his 45 HR's were against right handed pitchers, which is exactly what this team needs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Sarava said:

If you can get a contract that doesn't go too deep in to his 30s, he is the way to go. 35 of his 45 HR's were against right handed pitchers, which is exactly what this team needs.

In this market, how is he not going to get at least five…if not six or even seven?

The White Sox have never been that comfortable going beyond three years, with a couple of four year deals the outliers for outside FA’s and not team-friendly extensions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Semien will be 31 and he has only had 2 seasons where he was a better than average offensive player. Of course both of them were way better than average. I would be careful with ho.. it seems like his eventual price tag may be a bit more than he will be worth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Semien will be 31 and he has only had 2 seasons where he was a better than average offensive player. Of course both of them were way better than average. I would be careful with ho.. it seems like his eventual price tag may be a bit more than he will be worth.

Those 2 seasons just happen to be his last 2 full seasons. That makes me more comfortable. But yeah, if some team goes crazy and gives him 6 or 7 years, then let them have him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Semien will be 31 and he has only had 2 seasons where he was a better than average offensive player. Of course both of them were way better than average. I would be careful with ho.. it seems like his eventual price tag may be a bit more than he will be worth.

A four-year contract would be fine but anything beyond that I lose interest in a hurry.  He is a nice upgrade for the present but he becomes  Miguel Cabrera in 5 years if still on the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, poppysox said:

A four-year contract would be fine but anything beyond that I lose interest in a hurry.  He is a nice upgrade for the present but he becomes  Miguel Cabrera in 5 years if still on the team.

He’s getting way more than 4 years 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

6 or 7 correct?

I would be surprised if it’s shorter than that.  The back end of deal probably ends up painful but it seems like the price for Boras’ big money players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, fathom said:

He’s getting way more than 4 years 

That's probably correct...and if so I would pass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2021 at 7:31 AM, Sarava said:

It concerns me how Mets fans attitude seem to have a 'don't let the door hit you in the ass' attitude towards Conforto. They're going to know him better than you or I will. If it's just an injury plagued season, say like Eloy was for us - why do they universally seem to be fine with him leaving?

To me, giving a guy 4/80 who is coming off a season of < 1 WAR is absurd. I would be ok with maybe 3/45? And even then, I'd expect the Sox to be hitting either or both 2B and TOR starter hard if they go light on RF and bring in Conforto.

Just speculating, he's kind of a stat-hog, he doesn't hit lefties well, and his defense isn't good.  And the Met fans are probably just tired of him.
I'd hope we'd find someone more athletic as well, versus he slugger-type.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I would be surprised if it’s shorter than that.  The back end of deal probably ends up painful but it seems like the price for Boras’ big money players. 

I think it’s important to point this out - a 7 year, $140 million deal is in most cases more team friendly than a 5 year $125 million deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Just speculating, he's kind of a stat-hog, he doesn't hit lefties well, and his defense isn't good.  And the Met fans are probably just tired of him.
I'd hope we'd find someone more athletic as well, versus he slugger-type.

 

Bat him lower in the order against lefties then. This team needs guys that can hit righties.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I think it’s important to point this out - a 7 year, $140 million deal is in most cases more team friendly than a 5 year $125 million deal.

Yanks and Red Sox checked in recently and found out Semien's asking in the $200M range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yanks and Red Sox checked in recently and found out Semien's asking in the $200M range.

I wouldn't even pay 100m for a 31 yr old RHH to play 2B. Ugh no. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yanks and Red Sox checked in recently and found out Semien's asking in the $200M range.

Personally, I'd rather the Sox spend on starting pitching than that kind of $$ for Semien.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I think it’s important to point this out - a 7 year, $140 million deal is in most cases more team friendly than a 5 year $125 million deal.

If Semien signs for 7/$140 you are totally right, and the back end won't be overly crippling.  But I would be surprised if a $20M AAV over 7 years gets it done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×