Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DirtySox

Sox to talk about Semien with Boras

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

None of the national writers tie the White Sox having interest in Semien. Happens every year. 

Because they want to look like they know what they are doing and 9 figure contracts are a place the Sox haven't gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yes, the Sox will set the market in markets that have caps that are well under the amount of money Robbie Ray and Marcus Semien are going to get.

If you play a position that doesn't get 9 figure contracts the Sox are all-in on setting the market for you.

The Sox set the market for Wheeler, who plays a position that gets 9 figure contracts, with a 9 figure contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The Sox set the market for Wheeler, who plays a position that gets 9 figure contracts, with a 9 figure contract.

I'm not convinced that they weren't 100% certain that he would never go to Chicago before they made that offer.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CentralChamps21 said:

I'm not convinced that they weren't 100% certain that he would never go to Chicago before they made that offer.

I’m hoping this is sarcasm because they 100% made the offer with hopes of him accepting it

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m hoping this is sarcasm because they 100% made the offer with hopes of him accepting it

Not sarcasm at all. I think they knew they could look like they were "really trying" to get Wheeler.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m hoping this is sarcasm because they 100% made the offer with hopes of him accepting it

I'm sure they wanted him, and they wanted Machado, but they didn't close either. East Coast preference for the wife, nothing they could do. Although Machado was a bit weird. The, 'we had the best offer out there, but we can't match what he signed for" line was, is, and always will be bunk.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Not sarcasm at all. I think they knew they could look like they were "really trying" to get Wheeler.

I don't see what they would have gained with that. Trying is for school, and Little League. In the real world, people look at results.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I don't see what they would have gained with that. Trying is for school, and Little League. In the real world, people look at results.

They could get enough positive press that people would defend them years later using it as an example. 

  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

They could get enough positive press that people would defend them years later using it as an example. 

How much positive press did they get out of it? How much have the Sox gained? This isn't theoretical. It happened. 

Seems pretty risky offering someone $125 million and banking on his wife wanting to live in Philadelphia. 

To think the Sox didn't want Wheeler in a bad way is pretty crazy. In the end, all that matters is if they signed him or didn't sign him. No one except maybe JR's lackeys care about the effort.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I'm sure they wanted him, and they wanted Machado, but they didn't close either. East Coast preference for the wife, nothing they could do. Although Machado was a bit weird. The, 'we had the best offer out there, but we can't match what he signed for" line was, is, and always will be bunk.

The Machado stuff I won’t defend because their offer wasn’t very serious IMO, at least once the Padres entered the mix.  But when it comes to Wheeler, they had the highest offer on the table and lost out because of his wife’s geographical preferences.  Perhaps they could of continued outbidding themselves until they reached a price point he couldn’t say no to, but I can’t fault them for that.  Generally speaking it sets a bad negotiating precedent with agents you constantly work with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

They could get enough positive press that people would defend them years later using it as an example. 

Yeah, Rick Hahn is conducting fake negotiations in hopes of Soxtalk posters like myself citing it years later as proof they aren’t cheap 🤣🤣🤣

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Boras whenever RH makes an “offer”. 

38F3BE34-B42D-4030-8D86-3E36C6DB1BF4.jpeg

Don’t think he was laughing when we made that 3/$55M offer for Keuchel, although he may laughing right now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

Hopefully they’re talking about Conforto too. 

I’m sure they are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Don’t think he was laughing when we made that 3/$55M offer for Keuchel, although he may laughing right now

I’m sure he’s always laughing no matter what. Whether it’s a stupid offer or an over pay for one of his clients. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Boras whenever RH makes an “offer”. 

38F3BE34-B42D-4030-8D86-3E36C6DB1BF4.jpeg

You're a funny guy! Do I amuse you?

Edited by zisk
add

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, beck72 said:

If Semien is the Sox #1 free agent target, improving RF with another big addition [lefty bat] should be the next item of business via trade. The Sox should look at this offseason thinking they have a two year window to win a World Series. [While they have Grandal, Jose still playing well, Lynn and Hendriks]. The Sox would still have talent to be playoff competitive past the next two years. But some risky moves should be made that make some big improvements over the 2021 Sox.

I would hope that they have far more than a 2 year window.    
4 good years after 7 years of a dog-and-pony show is no good leverage.
Capable front offices contend for far more than 4 years.
This "all in"  stuff is not something adept front offices do in order to contend.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

I would hope that they have far more than a 2 year window.    
4 good years after 7 years of a dog-and-pony show is no good leverage.
Capable front offices contend for far more than 4 years.
This "all in"  stuff is not something adept front offices do in order to contend.

It's odd, multiple people, including myself have asked for your specific offseason plan since you've been heavily critical of basically everything....yet you haven't responded with specifics. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Tony said:

It's odd, multiple people, including myself have asked for your specific offseason plan since you've been heavily critical of basically everything....yet you haven't responded with specifics. 

Sheesh, you think he has time to catch up on the last 10 years of baseball?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Capn12 said:

Are we talking about the same offense that mustered 6 runs in 3 losses vs the Astros in the ALDS? Because that offense fell on its face pretty hard.

Against the same pitcher. Twice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, macsandz said:

Against the same pitcher. Twice. 

Yep.  Aces matter.  With a healthy McCullers the Astros win it all -- of that I'm certain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

How much positive press did they get out of it? How much have the Sox gained? This isn't theoretical. It happened. 

Seems pretty risky offering someone $125 million and banking on his wife wanting to live in Philadelphia. 

To think the Sox didn't want Wheeler in a bad way is pretty crazy. In the end, all that matters is if they signed him or didn't sign him. No one except maybe JR's lackeys care about the effort.

How many teams run out right after a guy takes another offer to scream about what they offered him through their mouth piece?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×