Justin Verlander re-signs in Houston

bmags

14 minutes ago, fathom said:

The Sox have never trusted Rodon’s work ethic, plain and simple 

They trusted it enough to sign him for $3M and got a steal. Maybe that means he put in the work when his back was against the wall or maybe it means he just finally found something that worked for him .

4 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Even if the Sox don't trust Rodon on a long-term deal, not "risking" him accepting the qualifying offer (which he almost certainly wouldn't have) to then pursue a 38 year old coming off TJS does seem a bit strange to me.

I agree.  As I’ve said before I’ve always been very iffy on bringing Carlos back but this is a very strange plan to replace him if this is indeed the plan.  

7 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'm not a fan of a 39 year old coming off a serious injury; don't recover like you used to at that age, and is he on innings limit because of recovery?

I wouldn't hate it like I hated Kimbrel, but it's not a great move imo.

All true, but I would grade it as "great" simply in comparison to my expectation/fear here, which is no SP of any consequence.

• Thanks 1

Listen I don't get a lot of info but where I do is by looking at the available players and making reasonable assumptions which the sox may also be looking at and that insider info is telling me that they indeed will be interested in the top pitchers, right fielders and infielders on the market, and it may surprise you when you hear the names but I'll never say.

• Fire 1

3 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Even if the Sox don't trust Rodon on a long-term deal, not "risking" him accepting the qualifying offer (which he almost certainly wouldn't have) to then pursue a 38 year old coming off TJS does seem a bit strange to me.

Does seem odd. Turns 39 in Feb. Basically same status as Rodon was when Sox signed him with 6 IP in last 2 years. Rodon never came close to the track record of JV but then again he was 11 years younger. Would be hard to justify signing JV if he cant appear in the post season for the kind of money he'll get.

7 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Does seem odd. Turns 39 in Feb. Basically same status as Rodon was when Sox signed him with 6 IP in last 2 years. Rodon never came close to the track record of JV but then again he was 11 years younger. Would be hard to justify signing JV if he cant appear in the post season for the kind of money he'll get.

It doesn't seem odd, It's Jerry's MO. No long term commitment, big name, etc. 

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

Listen I don't get a lot of info but where I do is by looking at the available players and making reasonable assumptions which the sox may also be looking at and that insider info is telling me that they indeed will be interested in the top pitchers, right fielders and infielders on the market, and it may surprise you when you hear the names but I'll never say.

I hope you are right. I want to have some of those posts that didn't age well. But as usual with any rumor it doesn't move me until it's official.