Justin Verlander re-signs in Houston

bmags

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

I think this is either a smokescreen or publicity stunt. They don't want Rodon for 18 million  because he was unavailable for the last 2 months but want to pay a 39 year old even more who will have 6 innings pitched under his belt in 2.5 years on opening day.

I think they're banking on Rodon returning to his injury riddled self .  It's a gamble.

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I think this is either a smokescreen or publicity stunt. They don't want Rodon for 18 million  because he was unavailable for the last 2 months but want to pay a 39 year old even more who will have 6 innings pitched under his belt in 2.5 years on opening day.

Be who you must
That's a part of the plan
Await your arrival
With simple survival and
One day, we'll all understand

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'm not a fan of a 39 year old coming off a serious injury; don't recover like you used to at that age, and is he on innings limit because of recovery?

I wouldn't hate it like I hated Kimbrel, but it's not a great move imo.

Im with you.  If it jsut costs $25M of JR's money and doesn't stop them from making other moves, sure.  If this is THE move, I hate it.  Can you even rely on this guy to pitch 150 innings next year? I don't think so.  But I am all for spending JR's money, so if that is the route, I am game. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Im with you.  If it jsut costs $25M of JR's money and doesn't stop them from making other moves, sure.  If this is THE move, I hate it.  Can you even rely on this guy to pitch 150 innings next year? I don't think so.  But I am all for spending JR's money, so if that is the route, I am game. 

I don’t think Verlander is the one they are targeting.

Edited by maloney.adam

Thinking anyone is the exception will always bite you. 

But to me it just feels like there are pitchers on the market, and some are older, like Rich hill where you say well he's past 40. And some are younger. And some have a track record, and some have injury, and some don't.

And then there are Justin Verlander and Scherzer. There is only one Verlander and only one Scherzer. And I want a Scherzer. I don't just want an ace to pitch in the playoffs. I want Max fucking Scherzer.

And I think a bunch of GMs feel that way too. Nice blokes.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Who is your guess

By just reading this board and all the foodies/NSC and insider twitter accounts, it’s either Scherzer or Kershaw FA wise. If it’s a trade I have no idea, but maybe Sonny Gray, Luis Castillo, Chris Bassitt or maybe Sean Manaea. Just my gut feeling on it.

Edited by maloney.adam