Justin Verlander re-signs in Houston

bmags

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

It doesn't seem odd, It's Jerry's MO. No long term commitment, big name, etc. 

In the way I mentioned and the poster I agreed with it does seem odd. In the way you stated it doesn't. But if it's Jerry's MO can you name another time he paid top dollar for an ancient starting pitcher who hasn't pitched in 2 years.

11 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Does seem odd. Turns 39 in Feb. Basically same status as Rodon was when Sox signed him with 6 IP in last 2 years. Rodon never came close to the track record of JV but then again he was 11 years younger. Would be hard to justify signing JV if he cant appear in the post season for the kind of money he'll get.

Verlander has had a long career of pretty good health, even including his recent surgery.  Dude is pushing 3000 innings in essentially 15 years of baseball at the MLB level.  That is pretty nuts.

Just now, maxjusttyped said:

I think it's strange when you consider the context of the Sox not offering the QO to Rodon which he almost certainly would have declined anyways.

Not really. They have a plan and didn't want to risk blowing it up by offering $18M to an injury waiting to happen so they could draft the 75th best player in this years draft.  That would have been really really stupid.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Not really. They have a plan and didn't want to risk blowing it up by offering $18M to an injury waiting to happen so they could draft the 75th best player in this years draft.  That would have been really really stupid.  

Agreed, it seems a case where they just didn’t want to get stuck with him again at at a big number 

2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

When players with legitimate question marks or that aren't star level players like Syndergaard, Verlander (presumably), Iglesias, Chris Taylor, Conforto etc are turning down the QO I think that's a pretty clear indication that Rodon would have as well.

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Agreed, it seems a case where they just didn’t want to get stuck with him again at at a big number 

Even if they have legitimate reasons to be spooked about Rodon, he's coming off a season where he was clearly the best pitcher on a staff with 2 other CY candidates on it as well. If you get "stuck" with that guy on a 1 year deal that doesn't seem like the worst outcome to me. Especially if they're already budgeting for a high AAV starter like Verlander to replace him anyways.

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

Even if they have legitimate reasons to be spooked about Rodon, he's coming off a season where he was clearly the best pitcher on a staff with 2 other CY candidates on it as well. If you get "stuck" with that guy on a 1 year deal that doesn't seem like the worst outcome to me. Especially if they're already budgeting for a high AAV starter like Verlander to replace him anyways.

Not if you think his arm/shoulder is shot

2 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

When players with legitimate question marks or that aren't star level players like Syndergaard, Verlander (presumably), Iglesias, Chris Taylor, Conforto etc are turning down the QO I think that's a pretty clear indication that Rodon would have as well.

I agree. I think it's fine they did what they did, but there are risks to everything and it's pretty clear this would have paid off fine. I would say similar risk that Rodon declined the QO as that they can trade Kimbrel. 

I don't mind what they did, but let's not act like it's whackadoodle to get some value back. We haven't signed shit anyway and the deadline is what, tomorrow? It wouldn't have been some huge wrench in our plans.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Did you just close your eyes the entire 2nd half of the season?

1 minute ago, SleepyWhiteSox said:

Did you just close your eyes the entire 2nd half of the season?

Carlos Rodon's 2nd half numbers: 2.51 ERA/3.26 FIP 31.6% K rate 5.7% BB rate. Those are CY caliber numbers if you prorate them over a full season.

I'm not advocating for signing Rodon to a 5 year extension or anything like that. All I'm saying is the Sox should have extended him a QO offer (which he almost certainly would have rejected) and if they ended up with him on a 1 year deal at 18M that wouldn't be a bad outcome either.

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Elbows and shoulders.

What percentage likely do you think it was that Rodon accepts the QO. Cause I'd say 5-10%.

No one wants to take a one year deal with a potential work stoppage, least of all a guy that hasn't gotten paid yet.

Id love verlander, but i put a 0.001% chance on it that the wsox get him. I think our interest stops after we realize it will be a contract longer than one year. 
id much prefer using the money to sign stroman to a 5 year deal. That guy has tim anderson esque flair on the mound and continues to recreate himself as a stud sp. 

Just now, iWiN4PreP said:

Id love verlander, but i put a 0.001% chance on it that the wsox get him. I think our interest stops after we realize it will be a contract longer than one year. 
id much prefer using the money to sign stroman to a 5 year deal. That guy has tim anderson esque flair on the mound and continues to recreate himself as a stud sp. 

Stroman isn't coming here with our current manager.

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

What percentage likely do you think it was that Rodon accepts the QO. Cause I'd say 5-10%.

No one wants to take a one year deal with a potential work stoppage, least of all a guy that hasn't gotten paid yet.

My guess is that the White Sox thought he would take the QO and that is why they did not offer it.

1 minute ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I think Stroman would be good, but yeah, doubt he ever comes back after last year. Sorta feel like a Toronto reunion is gonna happen.

Also his twitter feed is, unfortunately, bad.

1 minute ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I think a Stroman signing can be ruled out, unfortunately.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/free-agent-marcus-stroman-says-no-amount-of-money-would-get-him-to-play-for-white-soxs-tony-la-russa/