Justin Verlander re-signs in Houston

bmags

2 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Id love verlander, but i put a 0.001% chance on it that the wsox get him. I think our interest stops after we realize it will be a contract longer than one year. 
id much prefer using the money to sign stroman to a 5 year deal. That guy has tim anderson esque flair on the mound and continues to recreate himself as a stud sp. 

That’s not going to happen. 

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

What percentage likely do you think it was that Rodon accepts the QO. Cause I'd say 5-10%.

No one wants to take a one year deal with a potential work stoppage, least of all a guy that hasn't gotten paid yet.

He's already made $18-19 million.  That's not too shabby.

It has to be Scherzer or Kershaw that are their real targets.

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

What percentage likely do you think it was that Rodon accepts the QO. Cause I'd say 5-10%.

No one wants to take a one year deal with a potential work stoppage, least of all a guy that hasn't gotten paid yet.

I think it's higher than that but even if it was 5-10% that's enough to not risk paying a shit ton of money to a guy they don't trust going forward for what would essentially be a middle of the 3rd round pick. It's not worth it.

18 minutes ago, SleepyWhiteSox said:

Did you just close your eyes the entire 2nd half of the season?

Wasn't the 2nd half of the season expected from a guy who barely pitched the last 2 years. When you factor in Verlander's age along with him barely pitching the last 2 years wouldn't  you expect around the same for him ? Maybe you would expect more from Verlander. After all he had 200+ innings in 2018 and 2019 . But how fast can a 39 yr old bounce back from 2 years off ? Rodon pitched 130 innings of ace quality . And with 130 innings under his belt, if healthy, wouldn't you expect more innings next year . 

It's an interesting question on who people would expect a better year from or who would provide better value or survive long enough to pitch in the post season Verlander or Rodon.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

5 minutes ago, wegner said:

My guess is that the White Sox thought he would take the QO and that is why they did not offer it.

It is the only scenario that makes sense to not offer him.

If they wanted him back, they make the offer to start with, hoping he takes it.  If they didn't want him back and thought he wouldn't take the QO, they would have offered it for the draft pick.

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Scherzer, Verlander or Kershaw would be amazing.

I've made a point to try and see any Kershaw starts I can, and I'll speak glowingly of him forever, but I'm really not sure I want an MJ in Wizards moment with him. I don't ever want to count that dude out, but he has not been that kind of pitcher that just seems to piss on old age like a Scherzer/Verlander and their predecessors like clemens, johnson, schilling, etc. Feel like I'm forgetting one. 

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It is the only scenario that makes sense to not offer him.

If they wanted him back, they make the offer to start with, hoping he takes it.  If they didn't want him back and thought he wouldn't take the QO, they would have offered it for the draft pick.

If Noah Syndergaard can land a 1/21M deal despite not pitching for 2 years, I think Rodon would at *minimum* be able to get that when he's coming off a 5 WAR season.

Edited by maxjusttyped

35 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Not really. They have a plan and didn't want to risk blowing it up by offering $18M to an injury waiting to happen so they could draft the 75th best player in this years draft.  That would have been really really stupid.  

I guess we shall see how that plan works out . That trade deadline and LaRussa plans weren't really really stupid at all.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

If Noah Syndergaard can land a 1/21M deal despite not pitching for 2 years, I think Rodon would at *minimum* be able to get that when he's coming off a 5 WAR season.

Syndergaard has had a great track record.  Rodon had the one year to be fair.

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

Wonder how he looks without spider junk. He had a career resurgence after going to the Astros. 

Yeah, this along with how many innings he can throw next year are my biggest issues with Verlander. There's no way he's going to be able to throw more than 150 innings next year given he hasn't thrown much in the past 2 years, right? 

14 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Syndergaard has had a great track record.  Rodon had the one year to be fair.

How great can a track record really be when 3 of the last 5 years he didn't pitch over 30 innings ? Sounds like a sure fire 21M contract to me. Rodon pitched like an ace for 130 innings in 2021. Last time Noah pitched significant innings was 2018. OK 2019 but he wasn't an ace by any stretch then missed the following 2 years.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

You listed two great examples that I think were both very obvious in the moment mistakes. No hindsight required. I think not giving Rodon the QO offer is another one, but we'll have to see how it plays out.

I wouldn't be thrilled with a Verlander signing but they do need pitching but if Rodon does better for less money . Woo boy what a shit show that will be.

I think this is either a smokescreen or publicity stunt. They don't want Rodon for 18 million  because he was unavailable for the last 2 months but want to pay a 39 year old even more who will have 6 innings pitched under his belt in 2.5 years on opening day. Makes no sense. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Thanks 1