Justin Verlander re-signs in Houston

bmags

Just now, fathom said:

Max

They're willing to sign someone to a ~35M+ AAV deal but weren't willing to gamble on a minuscule chance Carlos accepts the QO? I suppose that's possible, but it's giving this front office quite the benefit of the doubt and expecting them to thread the worlds tightest needle if that is indeed the case.

They're quite obviously teasing Scherzer.

Nobody's buying it yet.

One positive is just no way it drags on and on like Machado or even Wheeler.

Kind of ironic that Wheeler would have been perfect for the Sox while the Phillies still might never make the playoffs even with him and Harper winning Cy Young and MVP.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

They're quite obviously teasing Scherzer.

Nobody's buying it yet.

One positive is just no way it drags on and on like Machado or even Wheeler.

Kind of ironic that Wheeler would have been perfect for the Sox while the Phillies still might never make the playoffs even with him and Harper winning Cy Young and MVP.

Wheeler made a quick decision....Scherzer won’t sign for a while it appears

1 minute ago, fathom said:

They won’t and it’s absolutely not the teammate they’re referring to. Greinke hates it in Chicago

I just learned from baseball reference that Robbie Ray was on the 2014 Tigers. Not that I’m implying I think the Sox are in on him. They’re more likely to sign me than Ray.

9 minutes ago, Snopek said:

I just learned from baseball reference that Robbie Ray was on the 2014 Tigers. Not that I’m implying I think the Sox are in on him. They’re more likely to sign me than Ray.

It would be insane to let Rodon go to buy extremely high on Ray...when he will likely never repeat that performance. 

Plus, White Sox definitely looking at 1-2+ (option) year guys. 

Edited by caulfield12

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

It would be insane to let Rodon go to buy extremely high on Ray...when he will likely never repeat that performance. 

My god, if the Sox thought for one second they were going to get 2021 first half Rodon in 2022, they would have offered him the QO.  You, and others, really have to stop thinking of it as not willing to simply pay him 18 million if he returned and more about what they think he has left in the tank.  Frankly, it’s gotten just as annoying to see in every post as the Kimbrel decision.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

They're willing to sign someone to a ~35M+ AAV deal but weren't willing to gamble on a minuscule chance Carlos accepts the QO? I suppose that's possible, but it's giving this front office quite the benefit of the doubt and expecting them to thread the worlds tightest needle if that is indeed the case.

Which is why we should wait and see what they do this offseason or what kind of contract Rodon gets before we declare them idiots.  If they have higher hopes than Carlos for that last rotation spot, then it probably wasn’t worth offering him the QO if there was any level of risk he would accept.  Also, who is to say Carlos wouldn’t have pulled a Thor by trying to get a quick deal and then using the QO as a fallback if he couldn’t pass a physical?  We just don’t have enough info right now to say it was a stupid decision or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Right, hence my bit about me being a more likely signing than Ray. I was just surprised to learn that he was on that Tigers team.

For the record, I’d definitely be willing to sign for 1 year + option. And you’re definitely not buying high on me.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Which is why we should wait and see what they do this offseason or what kind of contract Rodon gets before we declare them idiots.  If they have higher hopes than Carlos for that last rotation spot, then it probably wasn’t worth offering him the QO if there was any level of risk he would accept.  Also, who is to say Carlos wouldn’t have pulled a Thor by trying to get a quick deal and then using the QO as a fallback if he couldn’t pass a physical?  We just don’t have enough info right now to say it was a stupid decision or not.

The contract for Rodon isn't even nearly as big of a deal as his health in 22.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

My god, if the Sox thought for one second they were going to get 2021 first half Rodon in 2022, they would have offered him the QO.  You, and others, really have to stop thinking of it as not willing to simply pay him 18 million if he returned and more about what they think he has left in the tank.  Frankly, it’s gotten just as annoying to see in every post as the Kimbrel decision.

Great post.  There is definitely a method to their madness and they didn’t pass on offering Rodon the QO because they didn’t want to spend $18.4M on a 5 win pitcher.  Health and/or regression obviously played a huge role in their decision.

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

99.7...if he maxed out at 92-93 in that playoff start, nobody would be disagreeing.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Great post.  There is definitely a method to their madness and they didn’t pass on offering Rodon the QO because they didn’t want to spend $18.4M on a 5 win pitcher.  Health and/or regression obviously played a huge role in their decision.

And even if they brought back Rodon for 18 million in 2022, the same posters would freak out about their lack of pitching depth once Rodon gets injured again 

• Like 2