Is Jake Burger

Johno

I agree he could play there a few games but not every day. 

Imo he should be traded. Using him as a utility player between 3rd, 1st, DH, lf and 2b could work but there is issues with that

1) he is below average at most of those positions and the Sox are a very bad defensive team anyway which hurts the pitchers. If you Carry all those bad defenders like eloy, Vaughn, abreu you want a defensive improvement coming from the bench, not a downgrade

2) he can't play short which means you have to carry another utility bat

3) he is right handed and Sox are super right handed anyway

Edited by Dominikk85

What about Jake Burger makes people think he can play 2B? The guy is at best an average 3rd baseman, probably below average. His range would be absolutely horrendous at 2B. Imagine a team with Jake Burger at 2nd, Eloy in LF, Vaughn/Sheets in RF, and Jose at 1st. The pitchers would be livid. That's an all time bad defense. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ron883 said:

What about Jake Burger makes people think he can play 2B? The guy is at best an average 3rd baseman, probably below average. His range would be absolutely horrendous at 2B. Imagine a team with Jake Burger at 2nd, Eloy in LF, Vaughn/Sheets in RF, and Jose at 1st. The pitchers would be livid. That's an all time bad defense. 

What about Jake Burger makes you think he can't be better than average 3rd baseman ? Plenty of people wrote him off after missing so much time and then he crushed his way to the big leagues in a year in which nobody would have faulted him for being very rusty.

Burger deserves a lot of credit. Quality people mean something. There are plenty of scumbag players. I don't like it when players get dehumanized especially Burger who is constantly ripped by one member of Soxtalk as being a fat blob.

Having your dreams ripped apart by devastating injuries would mess with a lot of people's heads but Burger fought through it. I hope he becomes a rock solid fielder and hitter at 3rd base. Not everyone can be versatile but if you are really good hitter and 3rd baseman that should keep you in the big leagues for a long time.

On 11/20/2021 at 5:39 AM, Johno said:

A possibility to fill the void at second base?  Having his bat in the lineup every day would be great, I’m just not sure he could make the switch to second base.   Thoughts??

I think the Sox have internal options to fill 2nd that might be a year away but Burger isn't one of them.

Yolbert Sanchez will be 25 in March , hit very well in AA and with the Glendale Desert Dogs  so the Sox seem to be accelerating his push up. I expect to see a lot of him in Spring Training even if the Sox go outside the organization for a guy for this year.

Then there is Jose Rodriguez who is only 20 and might be the best position player the Sox have had at that age since Luis Robert.

There's also 25 yr  old Romy Gonzalez who crushed his way through Birmingham and Charlotte and made his MLB debut with the Sox. He's a solid 6'1 215lb power hitter. He only got 60 PA at Charlotte but tore the cover off the ball in that SSS.

If the Sox make any trades they may include 1 of these guys or Burger for that matter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

What about Jake Burger makes you think he can't be better than average 3rd baseman ? Plenty of people wrote him off after missing so much time and then he crushed his way to the big leagues in a year in which nobody would have faulted him for being very rusty.

Burger deserves a lot of credit. Quality people mean something. There are plenty of scumbag players. I don't like it when players get dehumanized especially Burger who is constantly ripped by one member of Soxtalk as being a fat blob.

Having your dreams ripped apart by devastating injuries would mess with a lot of people's heads but Burger fought through it. I hope he becomes a rock solid fielder and hitter at 3rd base. Not everyone can be versatile but if you are really good hitter and 3rd baseman that should keep you in the big leagues for a long time.

His body type, the 2 achilles tears, scouting reports. It seems like you're taking it personally that I said he is at best an average 3rd baseman. I didn't call him fat slob, so I don't know why you're equating what I said with that. 

What makes you think he can be an above average 3rd baseman? Blind optimism?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ron883 said:

His body type, the 2 achilles tears, scouting reports. It seems like you're taking it personally that I said he is at best an average 3rd baseman. I didn't call him fat slob, so I don't know why you're equating what I said with that. 

What makes you think he can be an above average 3rd baseman? Blind optimism?

Sorry Ronnie. I just try to put myself in his position. He's worked hard to get to where he's at now , a lot harder when you consider the length of his medical rehabilitation. He'll continue to work hard on his fielding. He may not ever have good range but reflexes are more important at 3rd. What makes you think he's average at best and probably below average ? Just like with the bat fielding can also improve. You notice I didn't say he could play 2nd.