James Fox: Can’t Ignor-as Boras, Sox will spend

bmags

Just now, Y2Jimmy0 said:

This author has no idea what he's talking about 

I thought it was interesting how you targeted Seager as the best fit Sox are going to land for those that won’t read the article this sentence is not true

Scherzer at $30M/year would be the biggest no brainer of all time, just worried he’s gets much closer to $40M a year.  Regardless, I like the way Tony is thinking here!

After him, give me Conforto over Semien.  I love Marcus, but I’d rather invest big dollars in RF and a guy who has a longer tracker record of hitting RHP.

4 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

This author has no idea what he's talking about 

James - Great stuff as usual!  Where do you see the payroll ultimately landing?  Around $180M or so?  I know the article is about us landing one impact free agent, but does that change if we can move Kimbrel?  What if we can dump Keuchel on someone while eating $8M or less?  Just wondering if there could be room for two sizable additions or if I’m getting way too greedy as usual.

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I don't see any way that it's like Semien and Conforto. I think one is possible and then they figure out the rest. Payroll might be between $190 and $200 million honestly. I'm just not sure how it's not with one big addition. I'm as surprised as everyone else, trust me. 

$190M plus?!  Oh shit.  Thanks for sharing bud!

The idea floated here, which has Kimbrel going to the Phillies for Segura, makes some sense. Dombrowski is prioritizing a closer, so it is probably a realistic possibility. Segura is owed $14.25 million this year, with a $17 million team option for next season.  He would give the Sox a high OBP, good defensive second baseman, who could play SS, if Anderson gets injured. Not having the baggage of a long term contract would free up salary for Conforto, who would fill the hole in RF and the need for more LH power. The best part is that those two moves would  still leave room to acquire a top of the rotation starter and bullpen help.  If the article's claim that Mr. Reinsdorf is ready to spend money is true, this scenario would be a reasonable allocation of those additional funds.. 

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Lillian said:

The idea floated here, which has Kimbrel going to the Phillies for Segura, makes some sense. Dombrowski is prioritizing a closer, so it is probably a realistic possibility. Segura is owed $14.25 million this year, with a $17 million team option for next season.  He would give the Sox a high OBP, good defensive second baseman, who could play SS, if Anderson gets injured. Not having the baggage of a long term contract would free up salary for Conforto, who would fill the hole in RF and the need for more LH power. The best part is that those two moves would  still leave room to acquire a top of the rotation starter and bullpen help.  If the article's claim that Mr. Reinsdorf is ready to spend money is true, this scenario would be a reasonable allocation of those additional funds.. 

No on Segura. We need quality LH hitter at both RF and 2B spots.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

No on Segura. We need quality LH hitter at both RF and 2B spots.

Well, I guess someone here is even more concerned than I am, about the lack of LH hitters in the Sox organization. I'm glad to know that, and yes, I've favored the Escobar and Conforto suggestion, but that doesn't solve unloading Kimbrel. Nevertheless, I hear you and I won't disagree.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, fathom said:

Why am I not credited for the Joey Wendle idea :)

I love the idea of Conforto and Ryan McMahon. McMahon was incredible defensively at 2nd last year in a small sample size.  Problem is Rockies seem to want to keep him.

Not to be a hater, but I don’t get the Wendle love.  Great glove but the bat leaves a lot to be desired.

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You just can't say no to Segura if he is the highest quality player to fill a hole in order to get the best value for Kimbrel. He's a pretty good ball player.

I just don’t get why you take the risk to pick up the option if what you get back is another bad contract on a low upside guy who’s on the down slope of his career. Nonzero chance that Segura’s decline becomes steep in the next year. Just don’t pick up the option and use the money to sign a second baseman.  I hope the Sox are smarter than this.

25 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I just don’t get why you take the risk to pick up the option if what you get back is another bad contract on a low upside guy who’s on the down slope of his career. Nonzero chance that Segura’s decline becomes steep in the next year. Just don’t pick up the option and use the money to sign a second baseman.  I hope the Sox are smarter than this.

Didn't the Sox already pick up Kimbrel's option ? Pretty sure they did so apparently the plan is to trade him.

It makes zero sense to pickup Kimbrels option then trade him for Segura, when you could have declined his option and just signed Escobar for $8-$10m and spent the difference elsewhere. My guess is that whatever conversations they've had about Kimbrel include others coming from the Sox to sweeten the return.

I'd love to get McMahon but the Rockies are such an odd team, who knows if they'd even trade him. If they had half a brain they would have traded Gray, Story and others at last years trade deadline.

• Like 1