James Fox: Can’t Ignor-as Boras, Sox will spend

bmags

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think compounding the error is picking up his option and getting a minimal return. Why do you think the Sox picked up his option in the 1st place ?Or maybe you think the Sox already compounded the error by picking up his option. That I can understand at least.

It’s easy enough for Sox cynics to claim it’s stubbornness…or trying to get back to even when you lost a huge bet instead of walking away and booking that loss.

Maybe it’s the stock market psychology of being stung 5x more by a loss than profits taken.

I would have made the exact opposite moves on Rodon and Kimbrel, but we will just have to wait and see how it plays out.

As a big believer in what Madrigal was supposed to bring to the team…it’s hard to believe they could have been so far off in their evaluations in him in the clubhouse, as a leader versus a divider, overconfidence or rubbing some in the wrong way (see Adam Eaton), whispers about his overt religious faith annoying some.  Obviously, he was a huge success at the college level.

It just seems like a massive fail to go from three Top 5 picks contributing to the foundation to possibly none in less than six months if Vaughn is also dealt.

However you spin it, that’s a disappointment (no matter how you spin it) without at the very least making it to the ALCS.

And maybe it’s related to watching the Padres deal a boatload of young players because Preller got impatient to catch the Dodgers…instead of waiting for that group of France, Mejia, Patino, Urias, Naylor, Renfroe, Quantrill, Gore and Reyes to naturally crest. They got older and more expensive, but not better.

14 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

But the reality is the only two options aren’t keeping Kimbrel or trading him for Segura.  There are other options and ones that hopefully don’t require us taking $14.5am in salary:

Yes, I agree that there may be other options. However, what those options might be is the question. If Hahn can get someone to take Kimbrel and the entire one year contract, then it would be essentially the same as if he didn't exercise the option, which is apparently what most of us would have preferred. At that point, Hahn can explore a trade and, or free agents, to fill the perceived holes. 

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

FIFY

Fine, I’m going to switch over to believing we are actually going to spend $190-200 million.

Anyone that suggests “settling” options, I will argue we are not dreaming big enough.  That we should be aiming at Seager and Correa, and Conforto is just a rebound/value acquisition for a second tier franchise at roughly $90 million.

And that KW is a coward for leaving the Sox when he once promised the White Sox would rule the City of Chicago again.

I can’t remember who did that for a month or two, I guess it was the argument we could have Machado AND Harper.  Pretty sure that was CWS, wasn’t it?  

So we can have Seager and Scherzer…because it’s not my money.

That’s a lot more fun than Tony Kemp and Jorge Soler…and worrying about dumping Kimbrel for 50-75 cents on the dollar, etc.

Dream big or go home.  Just win baby, to quote Greg775 and Al Davis.  Worry about the financial implications after we win the World Series and start talking about adding onto the stadium again, or building a state of the art facility that is the envy of baseball, or at least better than what Brewers fans get to enjoy in their protected small market.

Heck, forget about the Tigers and Indians, putting up notice that the Cubs should be afraid…they have absolutely NOTHING to offer their overcharged fans, and their two remaining attractions in Hendricks and Contreras will likely not last the season in Chicago.

Hopefully Balta will also see the light and come out of the darkness.  Same with South Side whatever the rest of his name, Thad Bosley, etc.  Let’s all jump on the bandwagon of positivity, starting with no longer questioning Tony LaRussa.

16 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Yes, I agree that there may be other options. However, what those options might be is the question. If Hahn can get someone to take Kimbrel and the entire one year contract, then it would be essentially the same as if he didn't exercise the option, which is apparently what most of us would have preferred. At that point, Hahn can explore a trade and, or free agents, to fill the perceived holes. 

There are no holes on this roster, only opportunities for players like Jimenez and Vaughn to fulfill their potential.

Since Iglesias and Jansen will get multi-year deals carrying more risk, and nobody trusts Melancon to repeat, we will not only unload all of Kimbrel’s contract but fill one of our five remaining holes in the process.  There are many teams like the Blue Jays, Angels, Phillies and Rays who will be able to absorb that $16 million for one season, and/or flip him for additional value if their teams are not competitive at the end of July.

And my Shiba Inu already has me as a paper billionaire.

I only need to find 2-3 more partners to buy the White Sox and set the minimum yearly payroll at $250 million.

Yay, this is fun.

Edited by caulfield12

11 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Scherzer at $30M/year would be the biggest no brainer of all time, just worried he’s gets much closer to $40M a year.  Regardless, I like the way Tony is thinking here!

After him, give me Conforto over Semien.  I love Marcus, but I’d rather invest big dollars in RF and a guy who has a longer tracker record of hitting RHP.

I can't be the only person worried about his arm posing a potential injury concern, especially coming off a post season where they were putting him out there more frequently than usual (fewer innings but it's still a change of pace that could affect him in 2022)

unless they got him for a friendly deal, I would pass on scherzer.  they should've went after him years ago

33 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

I can't be the only person worried about his arm posing a potential injury concern, especially coming off a post season where they were putting him out there more frequently than usual (fewer innings but it's still a change of pace that could affect him in 2022)

unless they got him for a friendly deal, I would pass on scherzer.  they should've went after him years ago

You can play the same game with literally anyone right now. Going into 2022, we have no idea how some guys will react from the long season after everything that happened in 2020. It's hard to argue he isn't the best available option available right now. If you want to win right now, he should be at the top of the list.

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Send me a paper 1.5 million and I’ll retire in full tomorrow but will thank you for all my days.

Edited by hi8is

14 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

There are no holes on this roster, only opportunities for players like Jimenez and Vaughn to fulfill their potential.

Since Iglesias and Jansen will get multi-year deals carrying more risk, and nobody trusts Melancon to repeat, we will not only unload all of Kimbrel’s contract but fill one of our five remaining holes in the process.  There are many teams like the Blue Jays, Angels, Phillies and Rays who will be able to absorb that $16 million for one season, and/or flip him for additional value if their teams are not competitive at the end of July.

I only need to find 2-3 more partners to buy the White Sox and set the minimum yearly payroll at $250 million.

Yay, this is fun.

Trade your Shiba for crypto and cash in .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

At this point, I gotta wonder where this alleged info of the SOX spending came from.

I dont doubt that Jimmy was told this, but given this org's history, I'm going to have to doubt it's veracity. 

Conforto technically still there, but I found it funny that half of Soxtalk was asking why anyone was dumb enough to think the Sox would be in on Scherzer or Semien....

"Max Scherzer and Marcus Semien should be realistic targets of the club" 

Maybe because people like Jimmy, and other "insiders", were saying just that? Then Jimmy comes by the forum after those guys and half the other FA's sign and complains that Sox fans expectations were too high and they'll never be satisfied. LOL you honestly can't make that shit up..

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Conforto technically still there, but I found it funny that half of Soxtalk was asking why anyone was dumb enough to think the Sox would be in on Scherzer or Semien....

Maybe because people like Jimmy, and other "insiders", were saying just that? Then Jimmy comes by the forum after those guys and half the other FA's sign and complains that Sox fans expectations were too high and they'll never be satisfied. LOL you honestly can't make that shit up..

I mean, if your argument begins with "should," it isn't an argument. Its wishcasting, and rendered almost wholly out of bullshit.

I actually don't mind my teams having budgets and a financial model. What I find utterly moronic is when they do stoopid shit, and then can't or won't spend their way out of their moronic mistakes.

Again, I'm not calling bullshit on Jimmy. I'm calling it out on the bullshitting bullshitters who bullshitted Jimmy. I suspect it was the same assclowns that made some here believe that "Harpchado" was anything more than mere fantasy. Or that "the money will be spent." And so on. 

Basically, Rick Hahn: You fucked up 2021, and you're on your way to fucking up 2022 and beyond. Fucking fix this.

16 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

At this point, I gotta wonder where this alleged info of the SOX spending came from.

I dont doubt that Jimmy was told this, but given this org's history, I'm going to have to doubt it's veracity. 

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

There's lots of conflicting information right now. I stand by what I wrote because I trust the people who told me a significant addition was likely coming. I've heard that Hahn/Haber may have misjudged this market. I've also heard that Jerry Reinsdorf didn't want a major expenditure pre-lockout. I'm not sure what's true at this point. THey've added a utility player and an 8th inning guy for like $13.5 million so far. They'll have a record high payroll. Michael Conforto is still a realistic option and there's no way second base is solved. THey'll add at least one starter too. They were priced out of the Scherzer and Semien markets. That's pretty obvious at this point. If they don't do very much, I'll be as critical as everyone else. For me though, it's imperative to wait until the off-season is over. I need to see what the 2022 team actually looks like. Sorry for disappointing you Ray. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Fire 1

I don’t think the White Sox will ever sign a high dollar top free agent as long as Reinsdorf owns the team. I think it’s against his beliefs. So all this talk of signing Scherzer or Semien or any other big fish is just poppycock. 

Think about that next time you pay a lot of money for game tickets or merchandise. 

These comments are a bit premature.  If the Sox go sign Conforto and even a Danny Duffy type starter for $10M, they are pushing $190M in cash payroll next year and would probably be at the luxury tax under the current rules.  I’m as disappointed as everyone here that we didn’t get anything done prior to the lockout, but it’s way too early to declare we won’t be rocking a significant payroll next year.

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

There's lots of conflicting information right now. I stand by what I wrote because I trust the people who told me a significant addition was likely coming. I've heard that Hahn/Haber may have misjudged this market. I've also heard that Jerry Reinsdorf didn't want a major expenditure pre-lockout. I'm not sure what's true at this point. THey've added a utility player and an 8th inning guy for like $13.5 million so far. They'll have a record high payroll. Michael Conforto is still a realistic option and there's no way second base is solved. THey'll add at least one starter too. They were priced out of the Scherzer and Semien markets. That's pretty obvious at this point. If they don't do very much, I'll be as critical as everyone else. For me though, it's imperative to wait until the off-season is over. I need to see what the 2022 team actually looks like. Sorry for disappointing you Ray. 

Jimmy, you know I knew the entire time the Sox weren't signing any of the guys that have signed. I just found it odd that you came by after blasting Sox fans for having expectations after you wrote that is all. 

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

These comments are a bit premature.  If the Sox go sign Conforto and even a Danny Duffy type starter for $10M, they are pushing $190M in cash payroll next year and would probably be at the luxury tax under the current rules.  I’m as disappointed as everyone here that we didn’t get anything done prior to the lockout, but it’s way too early to declare we won’t be rocking a significant payroll next year.

Danny Duffy is terrible. 

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I agree. We can't make decisions on how this off-season goes until spring training opens.  There are still a lot of signings /deals that can be made down the road. 

• Like 1

FWIW, Olney tweeted that the likes of the Dodgers, Red Sox Yanks etc. are waiting until there's a new CBA agreed to before making any large additions.  So I guess the Sox aren't alone in that regard. 

Not to excuse the Sox inactivity, but a good chunk of the league seems to be following the same thought process.

Edited by Bunt Ritual
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That’s not the point, it’s simply showing how quickly this payroll will be approaching $200M and the luxury tax.

Why would I want the payroll to go up 10 million dollars by signing Danny Duffy though? That's just the Sox spending on bad players to push up the payroll.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Why would I want the payroll to go up 10 million dollars by signing Danny Duffy though? That's just the Sox spending on bad players to push up the payroll.

It really depends on how they use him. I think he would more of an innings eater but I understand where your coming from. It’s frustrating but really with the roster they already have, they don’t need to add any superstars. Just some players that are competent. Don’t get me wrong I have been frustrated as well but I would just wait and see what they do the rest of the offseason before freaking out and calling the offseason not a success.

Edited by maloney.adam

2 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

It really depends on how they use him. I think he would more of an innings eater but I understand where your coming from. It’s frustrating but really with the roster they already have, they don’t need to add any superstars. Just some players that are competent. Don’t get me wrong I have been frustrated as well but I would just wait and see what they do the rest of the offseason before freaking out and calling the offseason not a success.

But Danny Duffy would be a horrible innings eater given that he's always hurt. I get he was just an example, but he's an example of the poor strategy the Sox have used in FA for decades now. Danny Duffy isn't a "see, the Sox pushed payroll up to 190 million" celebratory guy. He's a reminder of the poor philosophy this team has operated within during FA forever. 

At this point, it's really Conforto or bust and that's a scary thought given that I think Conforto gets more than most of us expect.

• Thanks 1