James Fox: Can’t Ignor-as Boras, Sox will spend

bmags

22 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Jimmy, you know I knew the entire time the Sox weren't signing any of the guys that have signed. I just found it odd that you came by after blasting Sox fans for having expectations after you wrote that is all. 

This is fair I suppose. My biggest gripe is the assumption that they're done. There are lots of options available still. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

I am just gonna say that I'm on Danny Duffy's side this offseason. He's a big injury risk but if his fastball is replicated this year he could be a huge signing.

Let's just put the Danny Duffy talk  to rest

https://www.dodgersnation.com/dodgers-news-danny-duffy-heading-for-surgery-or-retirement/2021/09/22/

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2

Tbh, it’s too late to sign whoever they were thinking of signing. What the FO needs to do now is re-strategize and come up with another plan to add the best players possible. Offer good deals that are attractive, obviously until after the lockout. Move forward and learn from this so it doesn’t happen again.

Edited by maloney.adam

15 minutes ago, Bunt Ritual said:

FWIW, Olney tweeted that the likes of the Dodgers, Red Sox Yanks etc. are waiting until there's a new CBA agreed to before making any large additions.  So I guess the Sox aren't alone in that regard. 

Not to excuse the Sox inactivity, but a good chunk of the league seems to be following the same thought process.

They misread the market not only in the amount/years some of the players received but also in terms of how many teams were aggressive before the lockout. Now they have a rare opportunity to hit the reset button.  They have a chance to get their shit together and execute a plan when the lockout is over.  Don't fuck it up.

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

And while we're at it, remind people that Stroman will never play here either. 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/11/marcus-stroman-tony-la-russa-white-sox.html

46 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Well, it takes one to know one.

Dude has a God-complex, keep him far away from the Sox. I see people still up in arms...there is still a day and the Sox didn't lose out on anyone they targeted (could say Escobar,but not even sold they were in too much on him). I still say they upgrade in Right, Leury isn't the starter at 2B, and there will be another Starter. They lose out on RF and get stuck with Kimbrel, all angst is earned. Next couple months are gonna blow, but the sky didn't fall here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

These comments are a bit premature.  If the Sox go sign Conforto and even a Danny Duffy type starter for $10M, they are pushing $190M in cash payroll next year and would probably be at the luxury tax under the current rules.  I’m as disappointed as everyone here that we didn’t get anything done prior to the lockout, but it’s way too early to declare we won’t be rocking a significant payroll next year.

Important to point out somewhere - right now Spotrac has the White Sox at $15.3 million below the current luxury tax line next year counting Leury. Because their contracts expand and they must pay benefits, they hit the current tax line below $190 million in payroll. If they move Kimbrel for no return under the current rules they have just over $31 million remaining to spend total, including the trade deadline. 

I don’t understand the opinion that the Sox were unprepared or misread the market.  

We have young Allstar-caliber players at almost every position.  

I still expect them to supplement this team in a bigger-than-needed way,  but in no way am I pissed they didn’t shell out 40M/Yr to Max or $325M to Seager.  

As currently constructed, I see this team winning close to 100 games, even in a tougher AL.  We have that much talent. 

Edited by Jerksticks
  • Like 1
  • Fire 2

18 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

I don’t understand the opinion that the Sox were unprepared or misread the market.  

We have young Allstar-caliber players at almost every position.  

I still expect them to supplement this team in a bigger-than-needed way,  but in no way am I pissed they didn’t shell out 40M/Yr to Max or $325M to Seager.  

As currently constructed, I see this team winning close to 100 games, even in a tougher AL.  We have that much talent. 

A week ago everyone would have been cool with Segura and Conforto. As of now, that is still very realistic. As for them misreading the market, they knew Conforto could be in the ballpark of 4 yrs/90 mill. After the deal Marte got, that is probably the high end. 

2 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

1. There's lots of conflicting information right now. I stand by what I wrote because I trust the people who told me a significant addition was likely coming. I've heard that Hahn/Haber may have misjudged this market. I've also heard that Jerry Reinsdorf didn't want a major expenditure pre-lockout. I'm not sure what's true at this point.

2. THey've added a utility player and an 8th inning guy for like $13.5 million so far. They'll have a record high payroll. Michael Conforto is still a realistic option and there's no way second base is solved. THey'll add at least one starter too. They were priced out of the Scherzer and Semien markets. That's pretty obvious at this point. If they don't do very much, I'll be as critical as everyone else. 

On #1, I'm sure you have been told conflicting things hereto fore. And while I find your writing to be cogent and compelling, I wonder if your source(s) are merely using your good name to put out spin/PR.

To the bolded, how can we be so confident that it'll be ~$190MM-200MM, if you don't know whats true at this point?

On #2, how can we believe that a 2B, AND a SP, AND Conforto are possible, when you've been told conflicting things? Also, given this org's behaviors/recent history/recent poor choices, how are we to believe that they wont just fuck this one up?

And again, in now way am I impugning you/your writing. 

54 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

First people complain that the money isn't getting spent. Then everybody complains about how much got spent on a 2.0 WAR franchise legend.

Make up your minds people.

I gotta admit, I don't know what/who you're referring to with this post. I do think its worthy to consider HOW a team with budgetary constraints spends.

After all, they've got what, damn near $40MM into a bullpen, but at the same time, the only 2B in the roster is Leury Garcia, in part BECAUSE they chose to spend so richly on the BP.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

2 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Michael Conforto is still a realistic option and there's no way second base is solved. THey'll add at least one starter too. 

Ding ding ding. And it’s going to be a long wait to see it through.

Right now, the White Sox have the second largest payroll in the AL.  I don't have the exact number but it's north of $170 million I believe.  And this isn't taking into account the players like Lucas who are arbitration eligible who likely will receive a hefty pay increase this year.  Stop complaining the White Sox are cheap.  They aren't.  The Yankees also aren't spending money right now.  The teams that are are doing it because they aren't as good as the White Sox were last year.  The White Sox have a damn good team.  The Rangers suck.  And will likely be lucky to be in Third place next year.  The White Sox will spend money but they need an upgrade, not a complete overhaul.  And their payroll, when all is said and done, will almost be north of $200 million and likely be one of the top two in the AL.

1 minute ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

On #1, I'm sure you have been told conflicting things hereto fore. And while I find your writing to be cogent and compelling, I wonder if your source(s) are merely using your good name to put put spin/PR.

To the bolded, how can we be so confident that it'll be ~$190MM-200MM, if you don't know whats true at this point?

On #2, how can we believe that a 2B, AND a SP, AND Conforto are possible, when you've been told conflicting things? Also, given this org's behaviors/recent history/recent poor choices, how are we to believe that they wont just fuck this one up?

And again, in now way am I impugning you/your writing. 

I gotta admit, I don't know what/who you're referring to with this post.

Because, given what Lucas will cost next year and also what some of the other arbitration eligible players will cost, there is just no way it won't be at $200 million or above.  They are going to be in the top 2 in payroll in the AL.  They don't have to spend money like drunken sailors.  They will get one of the big fish in free agency, just like they did last year (Liam).  But given the way the Sox operate, we likely won't find out till the day before it's done.  Mets made some big upgrades and they still don't have as good a team as the White Sox.

8 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Ding ding ding. And it’s going to be a long wait to see it through.

I don't doubt that we are trying. My fear is that prices will go up and years will get longer. If someone offers Conforto a big contract then we are out. I think we have a budget for these guys and are surprised with what is happening on the market. 

3 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I don't doubt that we are trying. My fear is that prices will go up and years will get longer. If someone offers Conforto a big contract then we are out. I think we have a budget for these guys and are surprised with what is happening on the market. 

I think they’ve been talking to Conforto for ages and have already made progress. My hunch is that Conforto likes it here better than anywhere… good fit for him here too. I’ll be a sad panda if it doesn’t happen.