2022 Hall of Fame ballot - Ortiz in; Bonds/Clemens NOT

flavum

2022: 1B Todd Helton; 3B Scott Rolen; SS Alex Rodriguez; LF Barry Bonds; LF Pete Rose (Write-in); CF Andruw Jones; SP Roger Clemens; SP Curt Schilling.

2022 Early Era Committee: SS Bill Dahlen.

2022 Golden Days Committee:  1B Dick Allen; 3B Ken Boyer; LF Minnie Minoso.

Future Ballots through 2025: C Joe Mauer; 3B Adrian Beltre; RF Ichiro Suzuki; CF Carlos Beltran; SP C. C. Sabathia.

34 minutes ago, flavum said:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/baseball-hall-of-fame-ballot-2022-alex-rodriguez-david-ortiz-join-bonds-clemens-schilling-in-final-year/

It’s that time of year again. Last year on the ballot for Schilling, Bonds, and Clemens. 

I’d vote for the three mentioned, plus Rolen, Helton, Kent, Buehrle, Hunter, Hudson, Rollins

All three of them can miss.  They earned it.

• Like 5

On 11/22/2021 at 1:18 PM, flavum said:

Going to be interesting to see how far Omar Vizquel will drop. He was at 49.1% last year because most of the votes were in before his news dropped. I bet he’s under 10%.

In fairness it seems like in this case they could hold him off the ballot this year. Then drop him entirely if found guilty or back on if innocent.

4 minutes ago, zisk said:

What's the beef with Schilling? I know he's a knuckle head, but aren't most athletes? I never heard any thing about PED's.

I saw this quote about Schilling from a guy named Eric Schaal....."Curt Schilling has been called a lot of things during and after his career in baseball, but popular was never one of them"

19 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Odd to include Bonds but not Clemens.

I can see a reasonable argument to include or exclude both. Jon stated the reason he limited his ballot to players not connected to steroids, with the exception of Bonds, is the fact that Bonds pre "steroid" career offers a compelling case.

He then went on to state that players like Bobby Abreu, Ryan Howard, Torii Hunter and others have cases as well. Don't really agree with that assessment unless you are going for a 500 player + BBHOF (100 players per generation vs. the 20-30 per generation typically inducted by the BBWAA.

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Odd to include Bonds but not Clemens.

I can see a reasonable argument to include or exclude both. Jon stated the reason he limited his ballot to players not connected to steroids, with the exception of Bonds, is the fact that Bonds pre "steroid" career offers a compelling case.

He then went on to state that players like Bobby Abreu, Ryan Howard, Torii Hunter and others have cases as well. Don't really agree with that assessment unless you are going for a 500 player + BBHOF (100 players per generation vs. the 20-30 per generation typically inducted by the BBWAA.

If you believe the Mitchell report that Clemens got his first shot with Torotno, Clemens had a measly 80 rWAR, 3 Cy young’s, 2 more top 3 finishes, and an MVP beforehand. I’d vote for that today. That’s more WAR and same number of Cy Young’s and MVPs as Kershaw today.

Maybe Heyman believes he started earlier and his whole career is contaminated, but I totally believe Tetrahydrogestrinone was on stuff early in his career and just switched to “the hard stuff” in 99 as it was quoted in one book. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I laugh whenever I see someone say Bonds started in 99 or use the excuse that he was a HOF player before then. Bonds was great before 99, so why just start cheating at that time? I believe Bonds was cheating earlier in his career. 

There was a book that came out 15 or so years ago that said Tetrahydrogestrinone had dinner with Griffey after the 98 home run chase and said that it wasn’t fair that Sosa and McGwire got all that attention for cheating so he was going to go “on the hard stuff”. Then in 99 his new bicep tore itself in half. People read that as saying he was clean beforehand because they follow the motive and timing, but if Tetrahydrogestrinone had just been on Stanozolol beforehand, that’s the one Palmeiro and Tejada used and it didn’t transform their bodies like the THG did. Maybe even he didn’t use it as regularly but only in certain training or recovery cycles.

• Thanks 2

MLB created this special election today, and timed it to have SOMETHING positive to hawk on their website and cable channel at the start of the owner lockout.

Announcement for any additions will occur at 5PM today.

No word on whether any inductees will have their name and likeness appear, or whether they will be inducted with MLB's preferred mandated faceless plaque.

https://baseballhall.org/news/golden-days-era-committee-early-baseball-era-committee-ballots-to-be-considered-dec-5

6upLSqJd_400x400.jpg

Really hope Dick Allen and Minnie Minoso are inducted tonight.

• Chisoxfn changed the title to 2022 Hall of Fame ballot - Ortiz in; Bonds/Clemens NOT