flavum

2022 Hall of Fame ballot

Dick Allen had the same OPS+ as Frank Yhomas. Frank was deservedly a first ballot guy. Dick Allen hasn't played in over 40 years and is dead. It's a joke he isn't in. 

I hate how death seems to increase chances. Ron Santo drove me nuts but if you're going to vote for them when they are dead, vote for them when they are alive. Let them have that moment. I hope  Dick and Minnie get in today although it should have been years ago. I also hope another ex-White Sox, Jim Kaat gets in today. He's going in someday, do it while he is here.

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Dick Allen had the same OPS+ as Frank Yhomas. Frank was deservedly a first ballot guy. Dick Allen hasn't played in over 40 years and is dead. It's a joke he isn't in. 

I hate how death seems to increase chances. Ron Santo drove me nuts but if you're going to vote for them when they are dead, vote for them when they are alive. Let them have that moment. I hope  Dick and Minnie get in today although it should have been years ago. I also hope another ex-White Sox, Jim Kaat gets in today. He's going in someday, do it while he is here.

Jerry and likely others are on record as being opposed to Dick Allen’s induction, in part for his pro union/player advocacy positions more so than any lack of on field merit.

https://deadspin.com/mlb-hall-of-fame-vets-inaction-failing-greats-of-the-ga-1845859656

My preference for HOF standards would be “inner ring” inductees (most of the BBWAA inductees, a few of the earlier veterans committee picks, the first Negro League class and a few more) with about 130, say 85 hitters and 45 pitchers.

Today, there are more than twice that count (263). Based on the current actual standards, I agree with you there is a solid case for several of the nominees today and on the January BBWAA Ballot.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Jim is known from the Twins yet few Sox pitchers have won 20 games twice that I can recall. Wilber Wood and who else? Ed Walsh I assume.  

4 minutes ago, pcq said:

Jim is known from the Twins yet few Sox pitchers have won 20 games twice that I can recall. Wilber Wood and who else? Ed Walsh I assume.  

Black Jack got to 20. Loaiza got there before having some…issues.

2 hours ago, pcq said:

There are thirteen White Sox pitchers who have won 20 or more games in a season two to four times in a White Sox uniform.

• (4) Ed Walsh [40 (1908); 27 (1911, 1912); 24 (1907)]
  • (4) Red Faber [25 (1921); 24 (1915); 23 (1920); 21 (1922)]
  • (4) Wilbur Wood [24 (1972, 1973); 22 (1971); 20 (1974)]
  • (3) Eddie Cicotte [29 (1919); 28 (1917); 21 (1920)]
  • (3) Ted Lyons [22 (1927, 1930); 21 (1925)]
  • (3) Frank Owen [22 (1906); 21 (1904, 1905)]
  • (2) Frank Smith [25 (1909); 23 (1907)]
  • (2) Jim Scott [24 (1915); 20 (1913)]
  • (2) Nick Altrock [23 (1905); 20 (1906)]
  • (2) Lefty Williams [23 (1919); 22 (1920)]
  • (2) Jack McDowell [22 (1993); 20 (1992)]
  • (2) Jim Kaat [21 (1974); 20 (1975)]