Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Chicago White Sox

Wander Franco 12 year extension?

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Wander Franco extension also nearing completion.  Man we got lucky with Robert.

did we? How many years did we buy out? I thought we just got 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bmags said:

did we? How many years did we buy out? I thought we just got 1

Yeah, maybe not.  In reality it was just one year of free agency.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

 

Are we believing Hector today 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, bmags said:

did we? How many years did we buy out? I thought we just got 1

That extension happened because the KW/Hahn era had nothing to lose.  In a vacuum, if Robert was a failure they likely aren't around to deal with the fallout.  If he is a superstar they get one prime year for 20 million (which obviously is so valuable it would be difficult to calculate).

Because Robert got such a monster signing bonus I was downright shocked when this deal went down.  Never fully understood either side's motivation.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

That extension happened because the KW/Hahn era had nothing to lose.  In a vacuum, if Robert was a failure they likely aren't around to deal with the fallout.  If he is a superstar they get one prime year for 20 million (which obviously is so valuable it would be difficult to calculate).

Because Robert got such a monster signing bonus I was downright shocked when this deal went down.  Never fully understood either side's motivation.  

This is a take.  These deals save teams a TON of money during these deals.  Sure some guys fail, but this contract was not going to hurt the Sox.  That is comical.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Multiple reports, this preceded Hector’s.

Looks legit. Congratulations to both sides. Hopefully for Tampa fans, they don’t try to dump his salary after 1-2 seasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Are we believing Hector today 

Can't wait for him to say we are close to signing Nelson Cruz!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is a take.  These deals save teams a TON of money during these deals.  Sure some guys fail, but this contract was not going to hurt the Sox.  That is comical.

These deals?  I'm talking about only the Robert deal.  It was an exact projection of his earnings through 2026 and 20 million for 2027 in exchange for all of it being guaranteed. 

As bullish as everyone is on Robert (and I 100% understand how uncalculably high the value of 2027 year could be)   I'm not sure it was quite the slam dunk that our meatball fans believed.   Also, figuring that Robert had received 25 million (set for life money) previously I'm not sure why he was willing to do the deal either.  Definitely not a comical take.  

Edited by GREEDY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Are we believing Hector today 

 

2 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Can't wait for him to say we are close to signing Nelson Cruz!

I figured that some people here would get a kick out of a Hector tweet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No way he stays with Tampa for this whole contract.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

These deals?  I'm talking about only the Robert deal.  It was an exact projection of his earnings through 2026 and 20 million for 2027 in exchange for all of it being guaranteed. 

As bullish as everyone is on Robert (and I 100% understand how uncalculably high the value of 2027 year could be)   I'm not sure it was quite the slam dunk that our meatball fans believed.   Also, figuring that Robert had received 25 million (set for life money) previously I'm not sure why he was willing to do the deal either.  Definitely not a comical take.  

If you understand what a superstars arb and free agent years look like, you understand why this take is comical.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Quin said:

No way he stays with Tampa for this whole contract.

yes he does. he becomes the face of the franchise...and probably the league in 3-4 years. this deal kinda keeps him there long term. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Passan said Franco is going to be a Ray for a long time.  Maybe.  I still think Tampa is a very shaky franchise and they may not be in Tampa as long as Franco's contract.  Attendance isn't everything but both Miami and Tampa  do not attract fans for baseball regardless of indoor stadiums or success on the field.  Sounds like the Montreal Ice Fish /Tampa Bat Rays marriage could happen any day. 

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/rays/2021/11/16/the-rays-flirtation-with-montreal-could-become-a-true-romance-this-week/

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2012 Rays do an extension with Longoria for 6 years, $100 million that would have kept him in Tampa thru 2023.

2017 Tampa trades him to the Giants, with cash, for a bunch of guys who never really contribute.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, EloyJenkins said:

yes he does. he becomes the face of the franchise...and probably the league in 3-4 years. this deal kinda keeps him there long term. 

Ok, cool. They'll trade him like previous face of the franchise Evan Longoria. Or Blake Snell. They're the Rays.

As for the league, hoo boy. Man had a great rookie year, but we've seen people crash and burn. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Quin said:

No way he stays with Tampa for this whole contract.

In fact this makes him evenore tradeable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Largest contracts by team:

Total Contract (Years Year SignedLast WS

  1. Los Angeles N.L.: Mookie Betts $365M (12 20202020
  2. Los Angeles A.L.: Mike Trout $360M (10 20192002
  3. New York N.L.: Francisco Lindor $341M (10 20211986
  4. San Diego: Fernando Tatis Jr. $340M (14 2021Expansion 1969 - N.L. Pennant 1998
  5. Philadelphia: Bryce Harper $330M (13 20192008
  6. Miami: Giancarlo Stanton $325M (13 20152003
  7. New York A.L.: Gerrit Cole $324M (9 20202009
  8. Texas: Alex Rodriguez $252M (10 2001Expansion 1961 - A.L. Pennant 2011
  9. Detroit: Miguel Cabrera $248M (8 20141984
  10. Washington: Steven Strausburg $245M (7 20202019
  11. Seattle: Robinson Cano $240M (10 2014) Expansion 1977 - A.L. West 2001
  12. Colorado: Nolan Arenado $234M (7 2019Expansion 1993 - N.L. Pennant 2007
  13. Cincinnati: Joey Votto $225M (10 20121990
  14. Boston: David Price $217M (7 20162018
  15. Arizona: Zack Greinke $206.5M (6 20162001
  16. Milwaukee: Christian Yelich $188.5M (7 2020Expansion Seattle Pilots 1969 - A.L. Pennant 1982 
  17. Tampa Bay: Wander Franco $185M (11 2022Expansion 1998 - A.L. Pennant 2020 (Evan Longoria $100M (6 2013) previous highest
  18. Minnesota: Joe Mauer $184M (8 20101991
  19. Chicago N.L.: Jason Heyward $184M (8 20162016
  20. San Francisco: Buster Posey $167M (8 20132014
  21. Baltimore: Chris Davis $161M (7 20161983
  22. Houston: Jose Altuve $151M (5 20182017
  23. Toronto: George Springer $150M (6 20211993
  24. Atlanta: Freddie Freeman $135M (8 20142021
  25. Saint Louis: Paul Goldschmidt $130M (5 20192011
  26. Kansas City: Salvador Perez $82M (4 20212015
  27. Chicago A.L.: Yasmani Grandal $73M (4 20202005
  28. Oakland: Eric Chavez $66M (6 20041989
  29. Cleveland: Edwin Encarnacion $60M (3 20171948
  30. Pittsburgh: Andrew McCutchen $51.5M (6 20121979

 

Edited by South Side Hit Men

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh man, even Tampa is ponying up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

 

Largest contracts by team:

Total Contract (Years Year SignedLast WS

  1. Los Angeles N.L.: Mookie Betts $365M (12 20202020
  2. Los Angeles A.L.: Mike Trout $360M (10 20192002
  3. New York N.L.: Francisco Lindor $341M (10 20211986
  4. San Diego: Fernando Tatis Jr. $340M (14 2021Expansion 1969 - N.L. Pennant 1998
  5. Philadelphia: Bryce Harper $330M (13 20192008
  6. Miami: Giancarlo Stanton $325M (13 20152003
  7. New York A.L.: Gerrit Cole $324M (9 20202009
  8. Texas: Alex Rodriguez $252M (10 2001Expansion 1961 - A.L. Pennant 2011
  9. Detroit: Miguel Cabrera $248M (8 20141984
  10. Washington: Steven Strausburg $245M (7 20202019
  11. Seattle: Robinson Cano $240M (10 2014) Expansion 1977 - A.L. West 2001
  12. Colorado: Nolan Arenado $234M (7 2019Expansion 1993 - N.L. Pennant 2007
  13. Cincinnati: Joey Votto $225M (10 20121990
  14. Boston: David Price $217M (7 20162018
  15. Arizona: Zack Greinke $206.5M (6 20162001
  16. Milwaukee: Christian Yelich $188.5M (7 2020Expansion Seattle Pilots 1969 - A.L. Pennant 1982 
  17. Tampa Bay: Wander Franco $185M (11 2022Expansion 1998 - A.L. Pennant 2020 (Evan Longoria $100M (6 2013) previous highest
  18. Minnesota: Joe Mauer $184M (8 20101991
  19. Chicago N.L.: Jason Heyward $184M (8 20162016
  20. San Francisco: Buster Posey $167M (8 20132014
  21. Baltimore: Chris Davis $161M (7 20161983
  22. Houston: Jose Altuve $151M (5 20182017
  23. Toronto: George Springer $150M (6 20211993
  24. Atlanta: Freddie Freeman $135M (8 20142021
  25. Saint Louis: Paul Goldschmidt $130M (5 20192011
  26. Kansas City: Salvador Perez $82M (4 20212015
  27. Chicago A.L.: Yasmani Grandal $73M (4 20202005
  28. Oakland: Eric Chavez $66M (6 20041989
  29. Cleveland: Edwin Encarnacion $60M (3 20171948
  30. Pittsburgh: Andrew McCutchen $51.5M (6 20121979

 

What a pathetic list. JR should be embarrassed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

What a pathetic list. JR should be embarrassed.

Will Jerry play Santa Claus this offseason and move the Sox all the way up to 26th?

Magic 8-Ball says:

ca2755df24a5dd9ed6dd8b07b4ab0bd1.gif

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

there will be a salary floor most likely in the new CBA. Wander is gonna be a Ray for as long as they are competitive....which based on their philosophies will be a decade. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

What a pathetic list. JR should be embarrassed.

No one should be surprised by this. And its not even just JR, you could make the case that this franchise is one of the most futile in MLB history.

I love the White Sox and always will, but their history is staggeringly pathetic.

Established in 1900.

3 Championships.

12 Playoff appearances, and 2020-2021 was the first time EVER they went back to back.

Woof.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×