Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Chicago White Sox

Wander Franco 12 year extension?

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

What a pathetic list. JR should be embarrassed.

It’s pretty sad that even if Wheeler accepts that offer a couple years ago, they only move up one spot.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, T R U said:

No one should be surprised by this. And its not even just JR, you could make the case that this franchise is one of the most futile in MLB history.

I love the White Sox and always will, but their history is staggeringly pathetic.

Established in 1900.

3 Championships.

12 Playoff appearances, and 2020-2021 was the first time EVER they went back to back.

Woof.

I love when people pair established 1900 with 12 playoff appearances, because we haven't had the modern system for most of the game's history.

Note, these are just from 1968 and backward:

  • Expand it to 2nd place and they are at 20 playoff appearances.
  • Expand it to 3 playoff teams and its 32 playoff appearances.
  • Expand it to 4 and its 44 appearances.

The Reinsdorf futility is legitimate. Comiskey's penny pinching is a fair gripe. But getting mad about the 1920, 1954, 1964, teams is an empty exercise if you're trying to count playoff appearances.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Quin said:

I love when people pair established 1900 with 12 playoff appearances, because we haven't had the modern system for most of the game's history.

Note, these are just from 1968 and backward:

  • Expand it to 2nd place and they are at 20 playoff appearances.
  • Expand it to 3 playoff teams and its 32 playoff appearances.
  • Expand it to 4 and its 44 appearances.

The Reinsdorf futility is legitimate. Comiskey's penny pinching is a fair gripe. But getting mad about the 1920, 1954, 1964, teams is an empty exercise if you're trying to count playoff appearances.

 

Whose mad? You cant just retro the rules and say they would have been in the playoffs. It is what it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Playoff appearances are a poor way to judge success. Advancing in playoff series (beyond the WC coin flip game)  is a more legitimate standard. How your team stacked up against the 4-10 best teams in the playoffs.

The Sox have only advanced a single season (thankfully they won all three series) since the Division/Wild Card era (1969-2021). Colorado, which started playing thirty years later, are the only other team to have advanced in the playoffs a single season in the Division/Wild Card era.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Playoff appearances are a poor way to judge success. Advancing in playoff series (beyond the WC coin flip game)  is a more legitimate standard. How your team stacked up against the 4-10 best teams in the playoffs.

The Sox have only advanced a single season (thankfully they won all three series) since the Division/Wild Card era (1969-2021). Colorado, which started playing thirty years later, are the only other team to have advanced in the playoffs a single season in the Division/Wild Card era.

The White Sox have won 3 Playoff series since 1917, and all 3 came in 2005. 

Chew on that for a second.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's all relish in the thought that now even the Rays have signed a 100 million dollar contract.

The White Sox are now cheaper at the top of the market than the Rays.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Let's all relish in the thought that now even the Rays have signed a 100 million dollar contract.

The White Sox are now cheaper at the top of the market than the Rays.

And I don't want to hear about how they "almost" signed someone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Let's all relish in the thought that now even the Rays have signed a 100 million dollar contract.

The White Sox are now cheaper at the top of the market than the Rays.

So, Longoria?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Quin said:

No way he stays with Tampa for this whole contract.

I think a more interesting question could be will Tampa be in Tampa for this whole contract.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Tony said:

The White Sox have won 3 Playoff series since 1917, and all 3 came in 2005. 

Chew on that for a second.

Yep. My grandfather was born in 1918, died 80 years later, never saw the Sox win a playoff series. A majority of Sox fans suffered the same fate.

Miami began play less than 30 years ago and have two World Series Championships. Only the toughest of the tough can survive being a Sox fan their entire life. :lol:

Number of World Series Championships + League Pennants:

  1. (40 = 27 + 13) New York A.L. (WS 2009, 2000, 1999, 1998, 1996, 1978, 1977, 1962, 1961, 1958, 1956, 1953, 1952, 1951, 1950, 1949, 1947, 1943, 1941, 1939, 1938, 1937, 1936, 1932, 1928, 1927, 1923. AL 2003, 2001, 1981, 1976, 1964, 1963, 1960, 1957, 1955, 1942, 1926, 1922, 1921)
  2. (21 = 7 + 14) Los Angeles N.L. (Brooklyn) (WS 2020, 1988, 1981, 1965, 1963, 1959, 1955. NL 2018, 2017, 1978, 1977, 1974, 1966, 1956, 1953, 1952, 1949, 1947, 1941, 1920, 1916)
  3. (20 = 8 + 12) San Francisco (New York N.L.) (WS 2014, 2012, 2010, 1954, 1933, 1922, 1921, 1905. NL 2002, 1989, 1962, 1951, 1937, 1936, 1924, 1923, 1917, 1913, 1912, 1911)
  4. (19 = 11 + 8) Saint Louis N.L. (WS 2011, 2006, 1982, 1967, 1964, 1946, 1944, 1942, 1934, 1931, 1926. NL 2013, 2004, 1987, 1985, 1968, 1943, 1930, 1928)
  5. (14 = 9 + 5) Oakland (Kansas City / Philadelphia A.L.) (WS 1989, 1974, 1973, 1972, 1930, 1929, 1913, 1911, 1910. AL 1990, 1988, 1931, 1914, 1905)
  6. (13 = 9 + 4) Boston A.L. (WS 2018, 2013, 2007, 2004, 1918, 1916, 1915, 1912, 1903. AL 1986, 1975, 1967, 1946)
  7. (11 = 4 + 7) Detroit (WS 1984, 1968, 1945, 1935. AL 2012, 2006, 1940, 1934, 1909, 1908, 1907)
  8. (11 = 3 + 8) Chicago N.L. (WS 2016, 1908, 1907. NL 1945, 1938, 1935, 1932, 1929, 1918, 1910, 1906)
  9. (10 = 4 + 6) Atlanta (Milwaukee N.L. / Boston N.L.) (WS 2021, 1995, 1957, 1914. NL 1999, 1996, 1992, 1991; 1958; 1948)
  10. (9 = 5 + 4) Cincinnati (WS 1990, 1976, 1975, 1940, 1919NL 1972, 1970, 1961, 1939)
  11. (7 = 5 + 2) Pittsburgh (WS 1979, 1971, 1960, 1925, 1909. NL 1927, 1903)
  12. (7 = 3 + 4) Baltimore (Saint Louis A.L.) (WS 1983, 1970, 1966. AL 1979, 1971, 1969, 1944)
  13. (7 = 2 + 5) Philadelphia N.L. (WS 2008, 1980. NL 2009, 1993, 1983, 1950, 1915)
  14. (6 = 3 + 3) Minnesota (Washington A.L.) (WS 1991, 1987, 1924. AL 1965, 1933, 1925)
  15. (6 = 2 + 4) Cleveland (WS 1948, 1920. AL 2016, 1997, 1995, 1954)
  16. (5 = 2 + 3) New York N.L. (1962) (WS 1986, 1969. NL 2015, 2000, 1973)
  17. (5 = 3 + 2) Chicago A.L. (WS 2005, 1917, 1906. AL 1959, 1919)
  18. (4 = 2 + 2) Kansas City (1969) (WS 2015, 1985. AL 2014, 1980)
  19. (4 = 1 + 3) Houston N.L & A.L. (1962) (WS 2017. AL 2021, 2019. NL 2005)
  20. (2 = 2 + 0) Miami (1993) (WS 2003, 1997)
  21. (2 = 2 + 0) Toronto (1977) (WS 1993, 1992)
  22. (2 = 0 + 2) Tampa Bay (1998) (AL 2020, 2008)
  23. (2 = 0 + 2) San Diego (1969) (NL 1998, 1984)
  24. (2 = 0 + 2) Texas (Washington A.L.) (1961) (AL 2011, 2010)
  25. (1 = 1 + 0) Arizona (1998) (WS 2001)
  26. (1 = 1 + 0) Washington N.L. (Montreal) (1969) (WS 2019)
  27. (1 = 1 + 0) Los Angeles A.L. (1961) (WS 2002)
  28. (1 = 0 + 1) Colorado (1993) (NL 2007)
  29. (1 = 0 + 1) Milwaukee A.L & N.L. (1969) (AL 1982)
  30. (0 = 0 + 0) Seattle (1977)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

What a pathetic list. JR should be embarrassed.

I think teams like the Mets, Marlins, and Tigers should be embarrassed. 

It's also misleading to just look at the largest contract by itself. I believe average payroll tells more. Signing one player to a $200 million contract to move up the list then play cheap everywhere else isn't good money management.

But, I do agree we don't have an owner/ organization willing to go big on one contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/23/2021 at 1:25 PM, Quin said:

No way he stays with Tampa for this whole contract.

Exactly, the Rays will trade him half way through the contract in a salary dump, maybe sooner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/23/2021 at 4:50 PM, South Side Hit Men said:

Yep. My grandfather was born in 1918, died 80 years later, never saw the Sox win a playoff series. A majority of Sox fans suffered the same fate.

Miami began play less than 30 years ago and have two World Series Championships. Only the toughest of the tough can survive being a Sox fan their entire life. :lol:

Number of World Series Championships + League Pennants:

  1. (5 = 3 + 2) Chicago A.L. (WS 2005, 1917, 1906. AL 1959, 1919)

 

Why does 1901 not count?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Why does 1901 not count?

Started with the first World Series in 1903, used the title World Series Championships and League Pennants.

Didn't count Chuck Comiskey's American Association championships in Minneapolis (1896) or Chicago (1900) either. 

Wasn't a slight, just used the inception of the World Series, where the two separate leagues met for the first time. It remained a tenuous association, as they didn't agree to meet the following year (1904). There were no World Series held in 1901 or 1902.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently once the Franco contract is done, the Mets will still be paying Bobby Bonilla.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Apparently once the Franco contract is done, the Mets will still be paying Bobby Bonilla.

What about Herschel Walker?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2021 at 1:54 AM, caulfield12 said:

What about Herschel Walker?

Future Senator?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×