Kendall Graveman agrees to deal w/Sox 3/$24

Kyyle23

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

Maybe they just plan on replacing Kimbrel with Tepera and Graveman - so 2 set-up type guys for price of one closer who sucks as a set-up man?  Still TONS of money to the bullpen.  I will say I like fact that he is a groundball pitcher. He wasn't great in his stint with Houston (when he moved out of the cavernous safeco park).  

Tepera will be gone as well. 

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

More big commitments to relievers. Hahn baffles me with his obsession with investing heavily in relievers coming off career seasons. Sox have big holes to fill and here they are buying more relief pitching. Smh

The way playoffs are played now, I'm not sure theres something more important to a team than Bullpen now.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Honestly, we need to add multiple RH relievers so I absolutely love this move.  Seems like a very fair price and not radically different than the 2/$12M I was willing to pay Tepera.  His ground-ball heavy approach should also work well at the Rate.

Most teams find relievers on the cheap or development them. It's not a reliable position to lock in aging players coming off one good year doing it.

• Like 3

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

More big commitments to relievers. Hahn baffles me with his obsession with investing heavily in relievers coming off career seasons. Sox have big holes to fill and here they are buying more relief pitching. Smh

What's so baffling?

Tony loves relievers and Tony is in charge.

It has nothing to do with Hahn.

• Fire 2

Just now, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

This seems very expensive, and long for a reliever with no track record.  Hopefully he made some legit changes that appear to have made a permanent difference.

Pretty much any reliever who had a good 2021 will get more than we think they should 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

The way playoffs are played now, I'm not sure theres something more important to a team than Bullpen now.

1. The playoffs in 2021 were an anomaly due to the shortened season in 2020. Sp's faded down the stretch. Bullpens are important but a return to not having multiple bullpen games should be expected going forward. 

2. None of those teams that performed well with good bullpens signed 3+ guys to big money bullpen contracts. Bullpen guys are volatile.  Graveman has one good year as a reliever under his belt and even in that year he was the beneficiary of some luck. Fip was much higher than era and xera. Babip was 230. And he's 31 years old. 

I dont trust graveman one bit to be good for 3 years... not even 2.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Stop, we’re supposed to be mad the Sox signed one of the best relievers on the market when they have a clear need after they deal Kimbrel

I am not mad.  We will just have to see how the rest of the reliver market turns out because this seems long and expensive based on his career.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I'm hoping we hear, "Sox close to trading Kimbrel to (insert team name here)" rumor very soon.

@Harold's Leg LiftHarold got me thinking about Lux. Not sure what else we'd need to add but I want him lol

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Kendall Graveman agrees to deal w/Sox 3/$24
  • bmags pinned this topic
  • bmags unpinned this topic