Kendall Graveman agrees to deal w/Sox 3/$24

Kyyle23

Just now, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They're not looking at his career they're looking at how he's going to pitch going forward.   

Right.  But did he make any significant changes from 2020 to 2021?  I asked if anyone knew but I don't think anyone is that familiar with him.

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

Stop, we’re supposed to be mad the Sox signed one of the best relievers on the market when they have a clear need after they deal Kimbrel

I mean, its $8M AAV for at worst a solid reliever, and at best an elite set up man.  He's also a GB machine which plays great in our park. There are plenty of things to b**** about - this isn't one of them.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I'm just not sure I agree with this. Dealing Kimbrel, we would probably need about 3 relievers (to replace Kimbrel, Kopech (sliding into rotation possibly), and Tepera.

I agree they need more relievers, I don't think they can afford Tepera.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I mean, its $8M AAV for at worst a solid reliever, and at best an elite set up man.  He's also a GB machine which plays great in our park. There are plenty of things to b**** about - this isn't one of them.  

Yes, most good/well run teams in contention lock up 25% of their payroll in their bullpen.

How about bitching about the Sox making another big investment (by their standards) in a freaking bullpen arm when they have more pressing needs and aren't known as big spenders? Graveman's can be found/had/developed every year before they have their one breakout season. Maybe stop paying top of market prices for guys coming off career years?

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

This is true. I don't know him enough to have a strong feeling - but I won't complain about investing money in a guy that has the stuff to be a pretty darn good set-up guy. The little snap shot from the video Tony posted earlier was nasty.  I'm hoping Sox come in close to $185-195M payroll anyway (cause why not - not my money and maybe JR surprises us).  

My issue is when the Sox play cheap on other areas - where I think the money might for further. But I can't make that decision yet.  

• Like 2

Yes, sorry to say this is the going rate for relievers. And while teams are good at finding relievers each year, playoff teams do tend to pay for them because nobody wants to be the phillies. For example, check out Relievers in arb3. They aren't cheap.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Right.  But did he make any significant changes from 2020 to 2021?  I asked if anyone knew but I don't think anyone is that familiar with him.

Yes he did, but so did Zach Duke. It could go either way, but man, $8 million a year for a 50 inning non closer is spending some cash. I just hope it doesn't cause them to try to be more "economical" with other needs.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

More big commitments to relievers. Hahn baffles me with his obsession with investing heavily in relievers coming off career seasons. Sox have big holes to fill and here they are buying more relief pitching. Smh

Right field, 2nd base, and pitching are all on the to-do list.  First to come...first served.

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yes, most good/well run teams in contention lock up 25% of their payroll in their bullpen.

How about bitching about the Sox making another big investment (by their standards) in a freaking bullpen arm when they have more pressing needs and aren't known as big spenders? Graveman's can be found/had/developed every year before they have their one breakout season. Maybe stop paying top of market prices for guys coming off career years?

Why are you acting like offseason is over?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 4

6 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

baseballsavant has his slider become much more prominent in 2021, and he completely ditched his cutter. His slider gets great drop and break, so looks like a pretty sweet pitch. And like tepera, he used all 4 pitches pretty often.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bmags said:

baseballsavant has his slider become much more prominent in 2021, and he completely ditched his cutter. His slider gets great drop and break, so looks like a pretty sweet pitch. And like tepera, he used all 4 pitches pretty often.

great! Glad to see he made changes.

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Kendall Graveman agrees to deal w/Sox 3/$24
  • bmags pinned this topic
  • bmags unpinned this topic