Kendall Graveman agrees to deal w/Sox 3/$24

Kyyle23

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yes, most good/well run teams in contention lock up 25% of their payroll in their bullpen.

How about bitching about the Sox making another big investment (by their standards) in a freaking bullpen arm when they have more pressing needs and aren't known as big spenders? Graveman's can be found/had/developed every year before they have their one breakout season. Maybe stop paying top of market prices for guys coming off career years?

Yawn.  They're trading Kimbrel.  I am not rehashing how terrible that move was. I have been consistently against that since hte day it happened; as I believe you were/are as well. 

They're losing Kopech, Tepera and Kimbrel from 2020 pen.  A reliever quite obviously needed to be added.  I am not going to lose sleep over $8M.  

If Kimbrel doesn't get traded, go ahead and b**** about paying these 3 relievers $40M.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

It's not over, but even by most optimistic payroll projections the Sox just spent about 20-25% of their off-season budget on a guy that I think will be lucky to have one full good season for the team.

Or maybe this should show you they’re going to spend a lot, like one of our best insiders said

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yawn.  They're trading Kimbrel.  I am not rehashing how terrible that move was. I have been consistently against that since hte day it happened; as I believe you were/are as well. 

They're losing Kopech, Tepera and Kimbrel from 2020 pen.  A reliever quite obviously needed to be added.  I am not going to lose sleep over $8M.  

If Kimbrel doesn't get traded, go ahead and b**** about paying these 3 relievers $40M.  

I'll b**** about the Sox paying for guys at their absolute peak value as long as they keep doing it. It will never stop being stupid; just as it was stupid for Kimbrel, it is stupid for Graveman. Find guys before their one breakout campaign, stop signing them after it. Just my thoughts. I'm not a fan of the sustainability of Graveman as a reliever. I could be wrong.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

It's not over, but even by most optimistic payroll projections the Sox just spent about 20-25% of their off-season budget on a guy that I think will be lucky to have one full good season for the team.

So lemme get this straight - you wanted to go into 2021 with a bullpen of Hendriks, Bummer, Crochet, Ruiz, Lopez, Foster, Burr and the winner of Lambert/Stiever/Sousa/Severino in ST? Because that is what you're looking at if you don't add a major league reliever.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, maloney.adam said:

Man you find every negative out of something. 

LOL, I've been called a Hahn Bot on this very site; Don Coopers son, Rick Hahn's Son and on and on. I have been blasted for being overly positive during the season (this past season), and about the players and after the season ended (after the post-season loss).

DId you ever stop to think for one second that I just call it as I see it, and that I'm not negative or positive? My opinion doesn't change if the decision was made by a guy I like, or a guy I dislike. If I think a guy, Graveman, isn't that good I call it out. If I think a guy is really good, Grandal, I praise the move and get excited. This isn't that complicated. Everything doesn't fit in your bucket of positive and negative.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'll b**** about the Sox paying for guys at their absolute peak value as long as they keep doing it. It will never stop being stupid; just as it was stupid for Kimbrel, it is stupid for Graveman. Find guys before their one breakout campaign, stop signing them after it. Just my thoughts. I'm not a fan of the sustainability of Graveman as a reliever. I could be wrong.

Mmmk. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

So lemme get this straight - you wanted to go into 2021 with a bullpen of Hendriks, Bummer, Crochet, Ruiz, Lopez, Foster, Burr and the winner of Lambert/Stiever/Sousa/Severino in ST? Because that is what you're looking at if you don't add a major league reliever.  

No, I wanted the White Sox to find an arm who may be prone for a breakout, or develop an arm who could find a new pitch or a new approach to take a next step. The Sox have invested so heavily in the bullpen in the last five years and they've whiffed almost every time but for Hendriks. They continue the same MO of buying at the peak instead of creating a peak themselves.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

No, I wanted the White Sox to find an arm who may be prone for a breakout, or develop an arm who could find a new pitch or a new approach to take a next step. The Sox have invested so heavily in the bullpen in the last five years and they've whiffed almost every time but for Hendriks. They continue the same MO of buying at the peak instead of creating a peak themselves.

They can still do everything you just said.  Spending $24M on a solid major league reliever over the next 3 seasons doesn't stop them from any of that.  But going into 2022 with the guys I mentioned plus a few lightning in a bottle NRI you're suggesting is craziness.

I get it - you don't like Graveman.  That's fine.  But you're overreacting a tad here.  

Edited by ChiSox59
Can never get the damn years right; covid fucked my internal calendar

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

Or maybe this should show you they’re going to spend a lot, like one of our best insiders said

If the Sox go out and sign a RF and a SP, or a 2B and a SP, or even a 2B and a RF for big money, I will have absolutely no problem with the Graveman move even though I still don't think he'll be very good for very long.

The odds of that happening seem very very slim though.

Edit; I'll also add everyone celebrating getting a GB pitcher and that being great for our park.... wuhhh? Did anyone watch LaRussa last year? The Sox need FB pitchers because their manager is a complete moron. Bummer got screwed by infield positioning and defense more than any pitcher I've ever seen in my life last year.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

LOL, I've been called a Hahn Bot on this very site; Don Coopers son, Rick Hahn's Son and on and on. I have been blasted for being overly positive during the season (this past season), and about the players and after the season ended (after the post-season loss).

DId you ever stop to think for one second that I just call it as I see it, and that I'm not negative or positive? My opinion doesn't change if the decision was made by a guy I like, or a guy I dislike. If I think a guy, Graveman, isn't that good I call it out. If I think a guy is really good, Grandal, I praise the move and get excited. This isn't that complicated. Everything doesn't fit in your bucket of positive and negative.

You have a point here. Everyone on this board has a right to their opinion but I just think your overreacting a little. There’s plenty of offseason left.

13 minutes ago, fathom said:

Also, he better come out to Undertaker’s music

I don't know why relievers don't take this more seriously with their music. 

I feel like no one remembers this, but there was a small window where Jenks was coming out to The Game from Motorhead and it was sooooo awesome. 

• Like 3

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Kendall Graveman agrees to deal w/Sox 3/$24
  • bmags pinned this topic
  • bmags unpinned this topic