Kendall Graveman agrees to deal w/Sox 3/$24

Kyyle23

1 minute ago, Tony said:

I don't know why relievers don't take this more seriously with their music. 

I feel like no one remembers this, but there was a small window where Jenks was coming out to The Game from Motorhead and it was sooooo awesome. 

You better believe relievers in 10u travel baseball put a lot of thought into theirs 

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

What's so baffling?

Tony loves relievers and Tony is in charge.

It has nothing to do with Hahn.

That has been and remains my thought. Tony has always asserted that he wants to own the last 3 innings. Hard to argue with that philosophy.

• Thanks 1

You have to judge this in the context of their total budget and final off-seasons. 1 year more than I would have liked, and perhaps $1M-$2M more per year than ideal, but overall he projects to be a decent pitcher.

For those with short memories, this is the guy the Seattle clubhouse freaked out about when he was traded while Houston was in town.

4 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

You have to judge this in the context of their total budget and final off-seasons. 1 year more than I would have liked, and perhaps $1M-$2M more per year than ideal, but overall he projects to be a decent pitcher.

For those with short memories, this is the guy the Seattle clubhouse freaked out about when he was traded while Houston was in town.

I knew the name sounded familiar (aside from just seeing him pitch).  Now I remember how upset Mariners players were.

9 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Hmph, hard hits against him in Houston went down, Ground Balls went up, but his ERA went up a lot. Looks like a very low BABIP in the first half. Also a full year gone in 2019. Was he a Tommy John surgery guy? Different pitcher in 2021 from any of his earlier years.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Hmph, hard hits against him in Houston went down, Ground Balls went up, but his ERA went up a lot. Looks like a very low BABIP in the first half. Also a full year gone in 2019. Was he a Tommy John surgery guy? Different pitcher in 2021 from any of his earlier years.

I don't like sinker ballers for this reason. They're overly reliant on the BABIP gods. 

We saw this with Bummer early in the season, before his slider became a reliable whiff pitch. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

36 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Let me dream damnit

It is why those that say we can't possibly keep Burger, Sheets, Eloy and Vaughn. I say - forget it, injuries will happen, someone will not pan out, and you want to keep guys fresh and rested. I see no reason to force a trade for any of them and instead enjoy the value and depth that we have in those 4 individuals.  If one of them had elite value in a trade - than I would certainly consider it, but it feels like anyone acquiring those guys is going to get more value in the long run than the Sox get.  

Depth is a good thing - especially depth that can hit and I think all of those guys can do that. It does mean the rest of our outfielders/bench players need to be highly athletic though :)

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I think that's a good deal, I do, it's just hilarious nonetheless. $38 million currently tied into 3 relievers. I think we can buy the Guardians roster with that.

It's reaching the point that I think relievers are more valuable than starters. The complete game is a thing of the past, and starters think they do their job if they go six innings. If relievers have to take care of one third of the workload, you better have a good bullpen. 

The Sox needed a proven RH arm with Tepera likely gone and Kimbrel to be traded.

I still think Kopech will throw innings out of the pen before moving into the rotation as the season moves on. Getting Kopech to 125 innings with him stronger for the 2nd half should be the goal. That would mean adding a SP with Keuchel of course. As bad as Keuchel was in 2021, he could easily bounce back. 

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

More big commitments to relievers. Hahn baffles me with his obsession with investing heavily in relievers coming off career seasons. Sox have big holes to fill and here they are buying more relief pitching. Smh

Come on man…they needed one decent right-handed setup man because Kimbrel is as good as gone plus they’re losing both Tepera & Kopech from the bullpen as well.  Also, this will not stop them from addressing all their other needs (2B, RF, SP, etc), so no reason to be overreactionary here.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't like sinker ballers for this reason. They're overly reliant on the BABIP gods. 

We saw this with Bummer early in the season, before his slider became a reliable whiff pitch. 

There’s a buncha caution flags in his numbers. Big jump in his Houston walk rate, career low HR rate in 2021 too. But it’s also his first year as a full time reliever, so maybe that’s who he is out of the bullpen.

I feel like this one is squarely a test of those big league scouts. Are they just looking at his ERA and saying “that’s fine” or have they really torn into his tape this year? If he’s got an ERa of 2 in July someone can bump this post when trying to compliment them.

Looking at the "Game Logs" from last year, he was pretty much lights out, with the exception of his first relief appearance against his former team, after being traded. The Mariners lit him up for 4 earned runs, in just 1/3 of an inning. He only gave up 2 hits and a walk, so someone probably homered off him, in that game. Other than that, he had a very impressive year. 

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Most teams find relievers on the cheap or development them. It's not a reliable position to lock in aging players coming off one good year doing it.

Once the Sox trade Kimbrel, they will have two highly paid veterans in their bullpen.  The remaining guys will be cheap and/or self-developed types with Bummer, Crochet, Ruiz, Lopez, Burr, etc.  You’re clearly lumping Kimbrel into this despite not being part of the go forward plans.

2 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Looking at the "Game Logs" from last year, he was pretty much lights out, with the exception of his first relief appearance against his former team, after being traded. The Mariners lit him up for 4 earned runs, in just 1/3 of an inning. He only gave up 2 hits and a walk, so someone probably homered off him, in that game. Other than that, he had a very impressive year. 

How can 2 hits and a walk total 4 ER?

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Kendall Graveman agrees to deal w/Sox 3/$24
  • bmags pinned this topic
  • bmags unpinned this topic