Kendall Graveman agrees to deal w/Sox 3/$24

Kyyle23

51 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'll b**** about the Sox paying for guys at their absolute peak value as long as they keep doing it. It will never stop being stupid; just as it was stupid for Kimbrel, it is stupid for Graveman. Find guys before their one breakout campaign, stop signing them after it. Just my thoughts. I'm not a fan of the sustainability of Graveman as a reliever. I could be wrong.

This is just arrogant and stupid.  You’re basically assuming the dude is a one year wonder because he doesn’t have a track record as a reliever and are acting the like the Sox should be able to pickup quality setup fairly easily on the cheap.  Maybe you missed the memo, but our RH setup man before this trade (once you accept the fact Kimbrel will be gone) were some combination of Jose Ruiz, Ryan Burr, & Matt Foster.  To think we didn’t need to sign at least one quality arm in free agency is comical.  And maybe, just maybe the Sox pro scouting department believes the dude is here to stay as a reliever.

55 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

So lemme get this straight - you wanted to go into 2021 with a bullpen of Hendriks, Bummer, Crochet, Ruiz, Lopez, Foster, Burr and the winner of Lambert/Stiever/Sousa/Severino in ST? Because that is what you're looking at if you don't add a major league reliever.  

Nope, he just thinks we should easily be able to add three Graveman type relievers on the cheap this offseason before they actually break out.  Easy Peasy.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

No, I wanted the White Sox to find an arm who may be prone for a breakout, or develop an arm who could find a new pitch or a new approach to take a next step. The Sox have invested so heavily in the bullpen in the last five years and they've whiffed almost every time but for Hendriks. They continue the same MO of buying at the peak instead of creating a peak themselves.

Who have they bought at the peak exactly other than Hendriks?  They literally tried rolling out a bunch of young, self-developed types last season and most of those dudes crashed & burned.  Let me guess, you’ll reference Kimbrel again despite all trade deadline additions being bought at peak value.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Who have they bought at the peak exactly other than Hendriks?  They literally tried rolling out a bunch of young, self-developed types last season and most of those dudes crashed & burned.  Let me guess, you’ll reference Kimbrel again despite all trade deadline additions being bought at peak value.

Going back? Linebrink and Kimbrel just off the top of my head. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

This is a very, very smart move.

He’s an extreme ground all pitcher, so he plays at GRF. He has experience as a closer and in high leverage situations and he was a starter so he might be able to go for a couple innings every once in a while. And he’s only 30.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

There’s a buncha caution flags in his numbers. Big jump in his Houston walk rate, career low HR rate in 2021 too. But it’s also his first year as a full time reliever, so maybe that’s who he is out of the bullpen.

I feel like this one is squarely a test of those big league scouts. Are they just looking at his ERA and saying “that’s fine” or have they really torn into his tape this year? If he’s got an ERa of 2 in July someone can bump this post when trying to compliment them.

Is this a real question?  Scouts don’t just look at a pitcher’s ERA and say “that’s fine”.  They are actually “scouting” the player and coming up with a go-forward outlook for him.  Clearly our pro scouts believe the 2021 version is here to stay.  They could be wrong, but it’s stupid to assume they do no due diligence prior to a material signing.

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I can't wait to see the same people who are upset the Sox never spend big in the free agent market, talk about how the Sox overspend in the free agent market.

• Like 2

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Kendall Graveman agrees to deal w/Sox 3/$24
  • bmags pinned this topic
  • bmags unpinned this topic