Kendall Graveman agrees to deal w/Sox 3/$24

Kyyle23

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I can't wait to see the same people who are upset the Sox never spend big in the free agent market, talk about how the Sox overspend in the free agent market.

Oh they spend....I just hate their strategy. I'd rather them spend in FA for actual impact players rather than throwing around mid-range contracts for guys like Keuchel and Graveman. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

I can't wait to see the same people who are upset the Sox never spend big in the free agent market, talk about how the Sox overspend in the free agent market.

In a different area it happened with trading for Lynn last year. "We need a high in the rotation pitcher bad" to "We gave up what? What the hell is wrong with them". Unless you getting good players for trash there's people upset here always. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Oh they spend....I just hate their strategy. I'd rather them spend in FA on the bigger dogs rather than throwing around mid-range contracts for guys like Keuchel and Graveman. 

Not a single big dog has signed yet. Pace yourself, there’s going to be 5 months of complaining

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

If we're using that logic, then Kimbrel isn't a buy at his peak deal either. 

Correct. In his case it doesn't mean he wasn't elite. But his peak was Atlanta. Scott Linebrink isn't even the same conversation. 

Edited by Baron

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I’m totally fine if they someone wants to make a case against Graveman and/or why he’s likely to regress (and not just cite his lack of track record).  But to be mad about spending $8M on a setup man when we desperately needed one?  It’s clear some people can’t get the Kimbrel move out of their head and will ignore the reality that he will be gone soon enough and will need to be replaced if we’re serious about competing.

Just now, kleedawg said:

Gravemen was one of the dudes I mentally said to myself. "yes plz" when I was looking at a potentially list of fa relievers for 2022. I like this move. Now, can we trade $$$, Keuchel, & Burger to KC for Raul Mondesi Jr. and lots of bubble wrap.

Mondesi would be an incredible fit but no way they trade him to the Sox

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m totally fine if they someone wants to make a case against Graveman and/or why he’s likely to regress (and not just cite his lack of track record).  But to be mad about spending $8M on a setup man when we desperately needed one?  It’s clear some people can’t get the Kimbrel move out of their head and will ignore the reality that he will be gone soon enough and will need to be replaced if we’re serious about competing.

Again, we are probably losing 3 of our top late inning guys in Kimbrel, Tepera, and Kopech.  That will require some spending to make up for.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Oh they spend....I just hate their strategy. I'd rather them spend in FA for actual impact players rather than throwing around mid-range contracts for guys like Keuchel and Graveman. 

Lol…you’d be bitching about their shit bullpen come July when all their unproven guys flop again next year.  And then you’d b**** about having to overpay for quality relievers at the deadline.  It’s an endless cycle with you guys…rinse repeat year after year.

• Like 3

Not a bad deal on paper, I just continue to question how the white Sox prioritize their spending every season. It isn’t a ton of money, but it IS significant, and it doesn’t address their top three needs  

It will make a lot more sense when/if Kimbrel  is traded, of course. And if that trade is decent, I’ll like this signing. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

We could trade Romy Gonzalez for Mike trout and some jack wagon would be bitching about all the years of control given up for an injured vet on the downside of his career. Its what some people do. Love the sox but hate them too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Quin said:

How the fuck are we just glossing over David Robertson?

Or hell, even Jesse Crain?

Jesse Crain got a 3 year 13 million dollar deal and his best years were here. If your trying to add to Parkman's argument I don't see how he works. We got all the upside. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Why mention Keuchel and not Grandal/Hendriks?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Again, we are probably losing 3 of our top late inning guys in Kimbrel, Tepera, and Kopech.  That will require some spending to make up for.

And the best part is the Sox will likely add a few cheap, potential breakout relievers to round out the pen.  But no contender goes into a season and banks on a bunch of unproven guys are hitting.  It’s absolute insanity and the people bitching Graveman now would be ripping Hahn to shreds come July.

2 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Not a bad deal on paper, I just continue to question how the white Sox prioritize their spending every season. It isn’t a ton of money, but it IS significant, and it doesn’t address their top three needs  

It will make a lot more sense when/if Kimbrel  is traded, of course. And if that trade is decent, I’ll like this signing. 

It isn't just spending, they've also used 2 1st round picks (Crochet and Burdi) on likely relievers, and used Kopech in the bullpen for an entire season this past year when I think most organizations would have had him start the year in the minors to develop fully as a SP. If you look at % of resources (payroll, prospect development, draft picks etc) the Sox probably devote more to the bullpen than any other organization in baseball.

• Like 1

I’d rather the Sox pay a little more for Graveman than try and add someone to replace Hendriks if Liam got hurt mid year. 

Having key insurance policies for guys like Liam, TA, Grandal, and Moncada in case of injury also factors in to what moves the Sox make this winter 

• Like 1

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Kendall Graveman agrees to deal w/Sox 3/$24
  • bmags pinned this topic
  • bmags unpinned this topic