Kendall Graveman agrees to deal w/Sox 3/$24

Kyyle23

Payroll dedicated to bullpen arms with contracts above $1m AAV by 2021's Top 10 Teams by winning percentage:

• Giants:    $3m on 2 players
  • Dodgers:    $45.12m on 7 players
  • Rays:    $2.95m on 2 players
  • Astros:    $18.6m on 5 players
  • Brewers:    $3.76m on 3 players
  • White Sox:    $29.69m on 5 players
  • Yankees:    $35.3m on 6 players
  • Red Sox:  $29.45m on 6 players
  • Blue Jays:  $13.44m on 5 players
  • Cardinals:  $12m on 1 player

All data according to Spotrac 2021 data. Only included pitchers earning >$1m for simplicity. Includes pitchers listed as RP by the website whether active, IL, or retained salary. All data also done by hand. Decent chance I messed something up.

Edited by MackowiakYakYak
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Above teams sorted from highest bullpen payroll to lowest. Number is the league ranking of bullpen fWAR

• Dodgers ($45m) 5th in bullpen fWAR
  • Yankees ($35m) 3rd
  • White Sox ($29m) 2nd
  • Red Sox ($29m) 9th
  • Astros ($18m) 14th
  • Blue Jays ($13m) 25th
  • Cardinals ($12m) 11th
  • Brewers ($3.75m) 15th
  • Giants ($3m) 6th
  • Rays ($3m) 1st

Edited by MackowiakYakYak
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MackowiakYakYak said:

Payroll dedicated to bullpen arms with contracts above $1m AAV by 2021's Top 10 Teams by winning percentage:

• Giants:    $3m on 2 players
  • Dodgers:    $45.12m on 7 players
  • Rays:    $2.95m on 2 players
  • Astros:    $18.6m on 5 players
  • Brewers:    $3.76m on 3 players
  • White Sox:    $29.69m on 5 players
  • Yankees:    $35.3m on 6 players
  • Red Sox:  $29.45m on 6 players
  • Blue Jays:  $13.44m on 5 players
  • Cardinals:  $12m on 1 player

All data according to Spotrac 2021 data. Only included pitchers earning >$1m for simplicity. Includes pitchers listed as RP by the website whether active, IL, or retained salary. All data also done by hand. Decent chance I messed something up.

Assuming you went by end of season rosters, so Kimbrel was $5.3 million and Tepera at $266,667.

The Sox sure had trouble with outs 22-24 last season...hope Graveman is the answer to that problem with an occasional Bummer thrown in of course.  I am very happy to see them spending early on a need but I am leery to ever get too excited about bullpens since those arms can be such a crapshoot from year to year.  Hell it is very possible that Kimbrel bounces back nicely next season but I can't see the Sox keeping him since they need to spend his $$ elsewhere.

1 hour ago, chetkincaid said:

I don’t know but I hope Canada holds firm on their decision to not let unvaccinated people into their country. 

Well they do have criteria for exemptions (food and processing workers, marine crew members, those entering on compassionate grounds, etc.) just as there are permits and waivers to allow Tony La Russa and others with DUI arrests into the country.

Kendall Graveman missed 19 days last season due to COVID protocols, and there was a significant COVID outbreak at that time which impacted their bullpen.

Seattle missed the playoffs by a single game. Fans now have to hope a similar outbreak doesn't occur with the White Sox with Graveman in the mix. 

Perhaps MLB and the Players Union will negotiate a vaccine requirement into the new CBA. The NBA (under 5%) and NHL (4 total players) have nearly vaccinated all player and travel personnel, whereas MLB's threshold target has been 85% to date entering into the CBA negotiations, with no player mandate.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

For the people skeptical of Graveman, a couple things worth pointing out:

• The velocity of his sinker has jumped up ~3 MPH as a reliever
  • He’s completely removed his cutter as @bmags alluded to
  • He’s throwing a much different slider now (7 to 8 MPH harder)
  • He’s utilizing this new, harder slider significantly more now
  • He’s generating far more whiffs with this new, harder slider 
  • This harder slider has enhanced the value of his 96 MPH sinker

To see just how nasty this sinker/slider combo is, take a look at the video below:

Honestly, it’s pretty clear he’s a different pitcher now and I think he’s here to stay, even if there is going to be some regression on the ERA side of things.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Well they do have criteria for exemptions (food and processing workers, marine crew members, those entering on compassionate grounds, etc.) just as there are permits and waivers to allow Tony La Russa and others with DUI arrests into the country.

Kendall Graveman missed 19 days last season due to COVID protocols, and there was a significant COVID outbreak at that time which impacted their bullpen.

Seattle missed the playoffs by a single game. Fans now have to hope a similar outbreak doesn't occur with the White Sox with Graveman in the mix. 

Perhaps MLB and the Players Union will negotiate a vaccine requirement into the new CBA. The NBA (under 5%) and NHL (4 total players) have nearly vaccinated all player and travel personnel, whereas MLB's threshold target has been 85% to date entering into the CBA negotiations, with no player mandate.

Way to work Tony's DUI into the post. 

I had butterscotch pancakes for breakfast, I bet Tony would say hold the butter. Lol. Let's all play the game.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

16 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Way to work Tony's DUI into the post. 

I had butterscotch pancakes for breakfast, I bet Tony would say hold the butter. Lol. Let's all play the game.

Well, we are discussing exemptions to Canada's entry requirements, Tony germane.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

11 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Tepera is a free agent.

Kopech is going to the rotation. 

Kimbrel is halfway out the door.

There is a HUGE hole in the pen even with Graverman.

And they need to cover the bottom pen spots internally/scrap-heap  because they have far bigger holes in SP (Keuchel is one of the 5 and they have no depth), 2B and RF.

Perhaps they can take a Giants approach to the pen and look for command over Ks  for the bottom spots.

Edited by GreenSox

13 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

And they need to cover the bottom pen spots internally/scrap-heap  because they have far bigger holes in SP (Keuchel is one of the 5 and they have no depth), 2B and RF.

Perhaps they can take a Giants approach to the pen and look for command over Ks  for the bottom spots.

Good thing the off-season isn't over huh 

• Haha 1

Bullpen as it stands, if we assume Kimbrel gone:

Hendriks
Graveman
Bummer
Crochet
Ruiz
Lopez

Foster
Bilous
Burr
Severino
Lambert

Bold I think are locks. The rest are competition. Severino, Bilous may be closer and more productive than we expected in November.

Ideas for relief:
With a return to a 93 mph fastball, he may still find starting. But, I think approaching Folty on a switch to bullpen and a move to Sinker/Slider vs. his absolutely obliterated 4 seamer could be the potentials of a new bullpen stud. Or he'll suck. Probably will know his options late.

Aaron Sanchez - at this point he just continues to get crushed under the workload, and his Curve/FB/Sinker all have tremendous break - an area I think Katz did well in addressing. Also - opener potential.

Incredible name alert: JD Hammer - 94 mph fastball, above avg dropping slider. Cool glasses. Other than that probably better options.

Oldies - squeeze that pulp :
Bryan Shaw - Cleveland is much smarter than me, but his stuff feels like his use of the cutter SO exclusively is underrating what he gets from his curve, slider. I unno.
Brandon Kintzler - I just don't think the Phillies pitchers are used well. He's old as hell and probably just sucks now, but he was a decent reliever with Cubs, Marlins then sucked as for some reason the Phillies upped his extremely meh 4 seamer.
Blake Parker - I like split finger pitchers, always have always will
Yusmeiro Petit - excellent control, and maybe a normal offseason after a normal year gets one more year. Nice stuff on his cutter still. 

• Like 3

• bmags unpinned this topic