Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Kyyle23

Kendall Graveman agrees to deal w/Sox 3/$24

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Can anyone shed light on this great question this poster asked?

Why can't we sign Tapera too?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And for those that think the Sox paid too much, then doesn’t it make Kimbrel’s salary seem not too high for other teams :)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just to clarify:

I know Kimbrel is likely gone

I don't think we sign Tepera knowing this move

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

@Harold's Leg LiftHarold got me thinking about Lux. Not sure what else we'd need to add but I want him lol

It will be interesting to see what happens if the Dodgers lock up Seager soon

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, fathom said:

It will be interesting to see what happens if the Dodgers lock up Seager soon

Agreed.  I think he gets shopped if Seager OR Taylor are re-signed but his value seems hard to peg since he was a former top prospect who hasn't done much is 2-3 seasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bmags said:

just to clarify:

I know Kimbrel is likely gone

I don't think we sign Tepera knowing this move

I'm just not sure I agree with this. Dealing Kimbrel, we would probably need about 3 relievers (to replace Kimbrel, Kopech (sliding into rotation possibly), and Tepera.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I am not mad.  We will just have to see how the rest of the reliver market turns out because this seems long and expensive based on his career.  

They're not looking at his career they're looking at how he's going to pitch going forward.   

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They're not looking at his career they're looking at how he's going to pitch going forward.   

Harold, you hearing anything about how close a potential Kimbrel deal could be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They're not looking at his career they're looking at how he's going to pitch going forward.   

Right.  But did he make any significant changes from 2020 to 2021?  I asked if anyone knew but I don't think anyone is that familiar with him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They're not looking at his career they're looking at how he's going to pitch going forward.   

Was this one of the names you were thinking of before the lockout

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, fathom said:

Stop, we’re supposed to be mad the Sox signed one of the best relievers on the market when they have a clear need after they deal Kimbrel

I mean, its $8M AAV for at worst a solid reliever, and at best an elite set up man.  He's also a GB machine which plays great in our park. There are plenty of things to b**** about - this isn't one of them.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I'm just not sure I agree with this. Dealing Kimbrel, we would probably need about 3 relievers (to replace Kimbrel, Kopech (sliding into rotation possibly), and Tepera.

I agree they need more relievers, I don't think they can afford Tepera.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I mean, its $8M AAV for at worst a solid reliever, and at best an elite set up man.  He's also a GB machine which plays great in our park. There are plenty of things to b**** about - this isn't one of them.  

Yes, most good/well run teams in contention lock up 25% of their payroll in their bullpen.

How about bitching about the Sox making another big investment (by their standards) in a freaking bullpen arm when they have more pressing needs and aren't known as big spenders? Graveman's can be found/had/developed every year before they have their one breakout season. Maybe stop paying top of market prices for guys coming off career years?

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I mean, its $8M AAV for at worst a solid reliever, and at best an elite set up man.  He's also a GB machine which plays great in our park. There are plenty of things to b**** about - this isn't one of them.  

This is true. I don't know him enough to have a strong feeling - but I won't complain about investing money in a guy that has the stuff to be a pretty darn good set-up guy. The little snap shot from the video Tony posted earlier was nasty.  I'm hoping Sox come in close to $185-195M payroll anyway (cause why not - not my money and maybe JR surprises us).  

My issue is when the Sox play cheap on other areas - where I think the money might for further. But I can't make that decision yet.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, sorry to say this is the going rate for relievers. And while teams are good at finding relievers each year, playoff teams do tend to pay for them because nobody wants to be the phillies. For example, check out Relievers in arb3. They aren't cheap.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Right.  But did he make any significant changes from 2020 to 2021?  I asked if anyone knew but I don't think anyone is that familiar with him.

Yes he did, but so did Zach Duke. It could go either way, but man, $8 million a year for a 50 inning non closer is spending some cash. I just hope it doesn't cause them to try to be more "economical" with other needs.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

@Harold's Leg LiftHarold got me thinking about Lux. Not sure what else we'd need to add but I want him lol

Lux would be nice for 2B. Wonder what it would take?

I thought I read they dont want to deal him tho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SoCalChiSox said:

Lux would be nice for 2B. Wonder what it would take?

I thought I read they dont want to deal him tho.

They really can't right now unless they bring back Seager or Taylor (or sign another IF).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

More big commitments to relievers. Hahn baffles me with his obsession with investing heavily in relievers coming off career seasons. Sox have big holes to fill and here they are buying more relief pitching. Smh

Right field, 2nd base, and pitching are all on the to-do list.  First to come...first served.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yes, most good/well run teams in contention lock up 25% of their payroll in their bullpen.

How about bitching about the Sox making another big investment (by their standards) in a freaking bullpen arm when they have more pressing needs and aren't known as big spenders? Graveman's can be found/had/developed every year before they have their one breakout season. Maybe stop paying top of market prices for guys coming off career years?

Why are you acting like offseason is over?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Right.  But did he make any significant changes from 2020 to 2021?  I asked if anyone knew but I don't think anyone is that familiar with him.

baseballsavant has his slider become much more prominent in 2021, and he completely ditched his cutter. His slider gets great drop and break, so looks like a pretty sweet pitch. And like tepera, he used all 4 pitches pretty often.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

another year, another offseason where Soxtalk thinks the Dodgers are going to deal from depth 😂

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bmags said:

baseballsavant has his slider become much more prominent in 2021, and he completely ditched his cutter. His slider gets great drop and break, so looks like a pretty sweet pitch. And like tepera, he used all 4 pitches pretty often.

great! Glad to see he made changes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×