Robbie Ray to the Mariners, 5 years $115 million

Whisox05

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Trying to figure out this annual sniping that a top pitching free agent is just a pop up flavor of the month with the fact that those pitchers continue to be good acquisitions 🤷‍♂

Didn’t you bring up Patrick Corbin as one of those comparable one year step up acquisitions a couple days ago? 

Is a 5.82 ERA in year 3 good enough for you in this case?

28 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Didn’t you bring up Patrick Corbin as one of those comparable one year step up acquisitions a couple days ago? 

Is a 5.82 ERA in year 3 good enough for you in this case?

Gonna go on a limb and say Washington does not regret signing Corbin.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1880902-evaluating-the-success-rate-of-mlb-contracts-over-100-million

David Price, Barry Zito, Johan Santana, Mark Hampton, Jordan Zimmermann, Jake Arrieta, etc., say hello.

I wouldn’t particularly want to be tied to Stephen Strasburg either, but hey, he won a WS for them, right?  We actually gave Contreras another 3 years we shouldn’t have based on that same reasoning, albeit nothing like the type of dollars we see now in the sport.

To be fair, it’s a pretty mixed bag.  That particular article looked at the first generation of $100+ million deals, and now we’re already onto $200 million as the new standard.  If you look at the past decade, the biggest disappointments have been on the position player side like Chris Davis, Ellsbury, Sandoval, Pujols, Josh Hamilton and Hanley Ramirez.  

23 minutes ago, bmags said:

Gonna go on a limb and say Washington does not regret signing Corbin.

I’m willing to say that everyone has done a good job as long as they win the World Series this year as long as you agree that anything less is a failure where heads should roll.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I’m willing to say that everyone has done a good job as long as they win the World Series this year as long as you agree that anything less is a failure where heads should roll.

No I’m sorry my opinions aren’t teenage AIM away messages

• Fire 3

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Well, that’s the Cubs fan’s excuse for the blown Heyward deal (but his leadership during that Game 7 rain delay!!!) and Gleyber Torres trade…which looks not quite so terrible about right now.

Sox fans can say how great Cotts was in 2005 and forget that original trade.

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, that’s the Cubs fan’s excuse for the blown Heyward deal (but his leadership during that Game 7 rain delay!!!) and Gleyber Torres trade…which looks not quite so terrible about right now.

Except Corbin was awesome in 2019, won a WS game and 2020 was fine in a shortened year.

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

But what about Scott Schoeneweis?

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Trying to figure out this annual sniping that a top pitching free agent is just a pop up flavor of the month with the fact that those pitchers continue to be good acquisitions 🤷‍♂

Well this 'top pitching free agent' will definitely be a top priced one, and for several years at that. He misses bats, I'll give him that - but wait til he gets a load of Eloy in left and Sheets in right. He'll know then that he has to miss bats.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FoxForce2 said:

Well this 'top pitching free agent' will definitely be a top priced one, and for several years at that. He misses bats, I'll give him that - but wait til he gets a load of Eloy in left and Sheets in right. He'll know then that he has to miss bats.

Leading to an average out of 4 2/3 IP every time out as his K and BB total escalate.

Prior to re-discovering the strike zone in 2021, he was actually in that 4.75-5.25 IP range per start over three consecutive seasons.

Last year up to over 6 IP per start and 193+ innings, a jump of over 140 IP from 2020 and by far his most in a season by roughly 20 innings.  That’s a pretty loud red flag.