I want Semien but we have a bigger need

Colome's Hat

I want Semien as much as the next person but we have a bigger need.  We badly need a lefty Power hitter.  Our right handed big bats got badly exposed in the playoffs.  Thus I have a new free agent crush.  Kyle Schwarber.  This dude had a monster year last year and is capable of possibly having an MVP type season.  Plus his versatility allows us to put him at DH, 1B, and in the outfield, which he's actually surprisingly solid.  He's also just a dude that I think the fanbase would embrace.  I would rather see us spend 4/85 on Schwarber and get Escobar or maybe even someone like McNeill than go all in on Semien and get stuck with a right handed power bat in the DH or outfield.

1 hour ago, Colome's Hat said:

I want Semien as much as the next person but we have a bigger need.  We badly need a lefty Power hitter.  Our right handed big bats got badly exposed in the playoffs.  Thus I have a new free agent crush.  Kyle Schwarber.  This dude had a monster year last year and is capable of possibly having an MVP type season.  Plus his versatility allows us to put him at DH, 1B, and in the outfield, which he's actually surprisingly solid.  He's also just a dude that I think the fanbase would embrace.  I would rather see us spend 4/85 on Schwarber and get Escobar or maybe even someone like McNeill than go all in on Semien and get stuck with a right handed power bat in the DH or outfield.

Buying at the market high for Schwarber without considering all the reasons the Cubs basically gave up on him...will end up with the White Sox following the same ultimate descent as the Northsiders.

With Sheets and Grandal on the roster, we're just not going to spend that much money on the DH position...especially if they add a legit veteran catcher to really share the load with Yasmani.

Including Collins, we already have 5-6 DH types on this team, as is.

Why would would we keep spending FA money instead of addressing RF, 2B and the starting rotation?

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Schwarber's bat would fit in to this lineup probably better than anyone else I can think if. But the Sox don't need a DH, and isn't his range in the OF terrible? I know he has a cannon of an arm, but they really need to get some better defense. Otherwise I'd want Castellanos, who also is poor in the OF.

I saw a lot of Boston games and they tried to "hide" him at 1B. He struggled there defensively although he never played it much because of Rizzo in Cubworld.  Understnading the Sox  are limited in shifts, teams that are shift reliant tend to expose !B who struggle w range. Not like the old days where a guy didn't have much ground to cover.   I think Schwarber is a DH with  a good LF bat. 

12 hours ago, 2Deep said:

Can't SHEETS be ......SCHWARBER?

I'm out on Siemien....not sold.

I want CASTELLANOS in RF

Ok, no Sheets cannot be Schwarber. At age 25, Schwarber walked nearly 80 times in just over 500 PAs. Same age this year Sheets was on pace for 40. So, Schwarber has a better approach and Sheets can’t change that very easily.

But, as a 25 year old, Sheets hit 22 home runs in just over 400 PAs, half at AAA. At that same age Schwarber hit 26 in just over 500. Sheets has also hit more HR every year since he was drafted so he is also improving his power game. 

Prior to this year Schwarber’s best OPS was .871, then he added another 50 points this year. Sheets was at .830 this year. Could Sheets improve on that by age 28? Sure. Could he also fall off? Yes. But he’s young enough and showed enough this year to think he’s a decent enough DH candidate to get a shot this year.

Could either of them fill the RF hole? Personally I think Sheets is a bit worse out there than Schwarber but they’re both bad enough it hardly matters. You would be hiding either of them out there and praying the ball went somewhere else. Both should be at DH. 

Schwarber is almost certainly an upgrade on Sheets this year and probably 2023. How much of an upgrade - was this a career year for Schwarber and can Sheets improve on last year are the questions for that. Is Schwarber worth $20 million a year more than Sheets? Since neither of them can play RF reliably, that’s one I struggle to justify. Put Sheets at DH and find someone who can catch the ball or a pitcher who strikes out enough guys for RF to matter less.

6 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Ok, no Sheets cannot be Schwarber. At age 25, Schwarber walked nearly 80 times in just over 500 PAs. Same age this year Sheets was on pace for 40. So, Schwarber has a better approach and Sheets can’t change that very easily.

But, as a 25 year old, Sheets hit 22 home runs in just over 400 PAs, half at AAA. At that same age Schwarber hit 26 in just over 500. Sheets has also hit more HR every year since he was drafted so he is also improving his power game. 

Prior to this year Schwarber’s best OPS was .871, then he added another 50 points this year. Sheets was at .830 this year. Could Sheets improve on that by age 28? Sure. Could he also fall off? Yes. But he’s young enough and showed enough this year to think he’s a decent enough DH candidate to get a shot this year.

Could either of them fill the RF hole? Personally I think Sheets is a bit worse out there than Schwarber but they’re both bad enough it hardly matters. You would be hiding either of them out there and praying the ball went somewhere else. Both should be at DH. 

Schwarber is almost certainly an upgrade on Sheets this year and probably 2023. How much of an upgrade - was this a career year for Schwarber and can Sheets improve on last year are the questions for that. Is Schwarber worth $20 million a year more than Sheets? Since neither of them can play RF reliably, that’s one I struggle to justify. Put Sheets at DH and find someone who can catch the ball or a pitcher who strikes out enough guys for RF to matter less.

Vaughn/Sheets/Engel in RF and Vaughn/Sheets/Grandal/Eloy/Abreu as DH by committee.  Use available resources on 2nd base and pitching.  

24 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Vaughn/Sheets/Engel in RF and Vaughn/Sheets/Grandal/Eloy/Abreu as DH by committee.  Use available resources on 2nd base and pitching.  

You wrote Eng*l’s name. This caused his hamstring to pop while he was sitting down for dinner. Rehab is 4 months.